Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To think I wasn't in the wrong here?!

(179 Posts)
PenguinBear Tue 11-Dec-12 18:49:40

We sometimes have the little children over the road to play while their mum does the shopping/ has a rest etc. I know she is using me as free child care as DP loves to remind me but my dc love her children so I don't mind having them. This has been going on a couple of years now but they are no bother so it's all good. Their father works from home but I usually only see their mum.

She is currently pregnant and wanted to go with her DH to buy some baby stuff at the weekend so asked if we could have the children for the day. 

I foolishly said yes and we had them for about 8 hours (much longer than expected). I tried to ring but they were 'stuck' in London. hmm
We ended up all going out for dinner in the evening so took them with us, dropped them home, all was well so I thought.

One of them left some bits at our house so I have just dropped them over and her DH answered the door and proceeded to tell me off for letting his children have ice-cream.  I felt like saying well come back when you said you would. They never told me not to let them have ice-cream and it was only a small child's portion after their pizza dinner at a local Italian. 
AIBU to be annoyed? I did them a favour imo and feel like I won't bother next time which is a shame as the children are lovely

Sorry for the long post, thanks if you got to the end!

HECTheHallsWithRowsAndFolly Tue 11-Dec-12 18:51:41

No. You aren't.

Why on earth didn't you say something?

Sparklingbrook Tue 11-Dec-12 18:51:44

I am speechless. How rude. What did you say?

Ooh, that was naughty of them. I would be a bit less generous with them in future...

valiumredhead Tue 11-Dec-12 18:53:43

It's such a shame when things turn out like this especially as you were doing them a massive favour. I would be fuming and would have found it hard to keep my mouth shut!

Still have the kids over when it suits you but not so they can have a nice trip out to London bloody cheek!

pollyblue Tue 11-Dec-12 18:53:52

Was it a proper telling off, rather than a jokey 'oh i wish they hadn't had icecream, they were running amuck on all that sugar' type comment?

If he was serious then you are most definitely NBU and he is a cheeky sod. If they had never said specifically not to give the dcs certain foods you weren't to know, and to tick off the person who cared for his dcs for a whole day, and bought them a meal out to boot, is taking the biscuit.

SantaWearsGreen Tue 11-Dec-12 18:54:11

That is soo rude. I would be gobsmacked.

BrianCoxIsAChristmasPud Tue 11-Dec-12 18:54:26

Quite simple, next time she asks you say that after the last time and the comment about the ice cream, you feel you can't help out.

Cheeky git.

YANBU

Shutupanddrive Tue 11-Dec-12 18:54:36

Of course you were not BU, what did you say? shock

McPheastOfStephen Tue 11-Dec-12 18:57:11

Blimy I'd be rather offended

Just remember you did something lovely for the children..

HECTheHallsWithRowsAndFolly Tue 11-Dec-12 18:59:07

Yes. I agree, brian. I know how the next conversation would go if I was the OP

Can you have the kids on such and such a day

are you kidding me? After I got told off the last time I did you a favour? No chance, pal!

cornycarrotshack Tue 11-Dec-12 18:59:19

What a rude man shock
don't have them next time and tell them why

BalthierBunansa Tue 11-Dec-12 18:59:43

YANBU, they should have told you if they weren't allowed certain foods, especially since you were obviously going to have to feed them as they were out so long. If I was their parents, I would have paid you back for the meal!

KenLeeeeeeeInnaSantaHat Tue 11-Dec-12 19:00:49

You were absolutely not BU! What a bloody cheek of their dad!

DialMforMummy Tue 11-Dec-12 19:04:13

Did you pay for their meals as well?
They are very rude.

lisad123 Tue 11-Dec-12 19:05:30

How rude!

PenguinBear Tue 11-Dec-12 19:05:30

To those who asked, it felt like a proper telling off ( think when the head hauls you into the office) and I was quite shocked and said I was very sorry blush. I then had a little cry (in private) as i felt like i'd done something wrong and am now not upset just annoyed about it.

BalthierBunansa Tue 11-Dec-12 19:05:47

DialMforMummy I love your username grin

BridgetBidet Tue 11-Dec-12 19:05:51

Cheeky git. You were totally right.

PenguinBear Tue 11-Dec-12 19:06:09

No they didn't offer to pay me back either!

LyingWitchInTheWardrobe Tue 11-Dec-12 19:06:25

Present him with the bill - for the dinner and your childminding services for the evening. See how he likes that.

GoldQuintessenceAndMyhrr Tue 11-Dec-12 19:06:59

shock How rude. What a nasty man.

pictish Tue 11-Dec-12 19:08:38

How unspeakably rude of him!!

Next time they ask - bring this up.

fuzzpig Tue 11-Dec-12 19:09:07

Ungrateful git. Unless the DCs have allergies or something but I assume this would have been mentioned.

Well, you know what your response is next time they ask a favour!

PenguinBear Tue 11-Dec-12 19:09:07

Thank you for your comment McPheastOfStephen, you're right, the children had a nice time and maybe in years to come if we are no longer in contact they'll still remember me as xx's mummy who looked after us and took us out to nice places grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now