Local Talk

Hello Everyone

(20 Posts)
sharong74 Fri 13-Jan-12 16:24:12

Hi I'm new to mumsnet and have a lovely 7week baby girl that would also like to meet with babies along with me to meet up with mum's - getting very lonely in the house when my hubby is at work sad Would love to go to mum and baby groups, but done't know of any and how they work and how much they are. If anyone could shed some light would be really appreciated. smile

cookieraider Sat 14-Jan-12 12:06:55

Hi sharong, congrats on your little girl. Im also new to mumsnet and new to aberdeen!! We have just moved from Ireland with our 18 month old son and I found out yesterday Im 5 weeks pregnant!! So like you I spend alot of time in the house as I dont know very many people yet. We are in a mum and baby/toddler group in cove which i found on the net, I'm sure there will be one in your area also, they seem to be in community centers mostly. My group is very laid back and you just pay £2 on the mornings you go (its on mon & fri 9.30 - 11) the kids can run around play then at around 10 the kids have snack, which you bring yourself, and the mums have coffee and biscuits which is provided free. I hope this is some help to you.

sharong74 Sun 15-Jan-12 16:06:33

Hi cookieraider - congrats on your pregnancy hope you have a easy time of it. Thanks for the info will have to have another look on line, must of been doing something wrong as couldn't find anything in my area sad
That must of been a difficult move from Ireland to here, we are thinking of leaving Aberdeen too, but not until the baby is around 5yrs old, my hubby is from London so looking around that area, but defo not in London. It is nice to be in the house, but a conversation when you get an answer would be nice from time to time smile
Anyways thanks for the advise and by the way love the nickname you have ;)

jenrendo Sun 15-Jan-12 16:11:43

Whereabouts are you in Aberdeen Sharong ? I have recently moved from there but there were quite a few places me and DS used to go to to make friends where I lived smile

Ineedacleaneriamalazyslattern Sun 15-Jan-12 16:13:31

I'm in Aberdeen as well. I've got 3 children aged 8, 5 and 18 months.
Where in Aberdeen are you?

sharong74 Sun 15-Jan-12 16:16:53

Hi im in the northfield area - but can travel as have a car. I too have another child, he is 18 though and has just moved out into a flat with his friend. Any suggestions is great smile

jenrendo Sun 15-Jan-12 16:28:04

OK so Northfield is quite close to Bridge of Don, especially if you have a car. It is on the right side of town. I went to Jo Jingles at the Danestone Community Centre, and the was also a Baby Sensory group my chum went to which she loved (google Baby Sensory). There is also a baby group at a church which everyone raved about but there is a waiting list. I think it was called St Columba's. These things all do cost but I definately felt it was worth it and made some lovely friends at Jo Jingles and we had coffee afterwards most weeks at the Vanilla Fudge Cafe. Good luck!

sharong74 Sun 15-Jan-12 17:01:17

Oh thanks for that much appreciated will google the baby sensory and will get to the baby groups this week, I don't mind paying as if it gets me out of the house and my wee munchin mixing with other bubs its all worth while and I could also do with the company.

sharong74 Sun 15-Jan-12 18:10:00

Hi jenrendo thanks for the baby sensory info looks really good, have downloaded the registration form along with the jo jingles one too - hopefully will be able to get into both of these smile

Medee Sun 15-Jan-12 20:03:18

Hi Sharong and weclome to Aberdeen, and to you too Cookie.

JollySergeantJackrum Sun 15-Jan-12 20:10:32

Hiya

The nct have lots of things happening www.nct.org.uk/branches/aberdeen-city-shire

There is also Jo Jingles here but it looks pricey to me.

I bet there's heaps in Northfield. If you pop into the community centre in Byron Square i'm sure they'll be able to point you in the right direction - or the Middlefield Community Project are particularly good.

I live out of town so none of the things I go to would be much use.

sharong74 Mon 16-Jan-12 17:09:34

Hi Jollysergeantjackrum - thanks for that I never actually thought about the community centre here how daft am I smile Thanks for the info will pop in and see them and see whats on offer. One I could possibly walk to on a nice day - trying to get rid of the extra baby weight I still have smile

Medee Mon 16-Jan-12 19:59:26

Also, lots of churches run things. I shouldn't probably post this, but Netmums has a really useful page listing all the baby groups by area.

sharong74 Mon 16-Jan-12 20:16:45

Thanks Medee will have a look.

Looked on NCT webiste jollysergeantjackrum and found there is a bumps and babies group on a thursday that I will pop along too, only queens rd so not far for me to go. Also just remembered that I was given membership to NCT []

Medee Mon 16-Jan-12 22:10:20

Bumps and Babies is a really nice group - I have just stopped going as my wee one is getting a bit big (starting to clamber over the others!) but 7 weeks is a perfect time to start going. It's really casual and informal and welcoming.

there is also Baby Yoga in Queens Cross, run by Judy Cameron.

sharong74 Tue 17-Jan-12 18:13:22

Thanks Medee will give it a go on thursday and see how we get on smile

noraelisa Mon 13-Feb-12 15:32:02

hello everybody
i m new in doing this
am 40 YEARS OLD MARRIED AND HAVE A LITTLE GIRL OF 2 AND A HALF YEAR OLD
IAM FRENCH AND WE LIVING IN ROTTERDAM HOLLAND AND MY HUSBAND HAS BEEN OFFER A JOB IN ABERDEEN
WE HAVE BEEN MOVING FROM UK TO SOUTH OF FRANCE WICH IAM FROM AND REALLY MISS IT TO DORDRECHK NEAR ROTTERDHAM AND GAVE BIRTH THERE
THE EXPERIENCE IN HOLLANDE HS BEEN CATASTROPHIC AND REALLY SOUL DESTROYING FEELING REALL LONELY AAND A BIT SCARED
I REALLY LOVE TO HAVE ADVISE ON THE LIFE IN ABERDEEN AND WHERE THE BEST PLACE TO CREATE A GOOD LIFE FOR US
ELISA WILL BE GOING TO SCHOOL SOON AND CAN SOMEONE TELL ME WHERE REALLY GOOD SCHOOL ARE
I WOULD LOVE AS WELL TO MEET OTHER MUM OR PEOPLE TO NETWORK WITH
I KNOW I SOUND A BIT DESPERATE BUT I THINK IT WILL KILL ME TO RELOCATE AGAIN AND TO BE A DISASTER
CAN SOMEONE AS WELL GIVE ME TIPS OR ADVISE ON REALLY NICE AREA TO LIVE FOR A FAMILLY
I WILL PPRECIATE A LOT AND THANK YOU IN DVANCE

Medee Tue 14-Feb-12 22:39:44

Hi NoraElisa, that does sound a lot to be dealing with. Aberdeen is a nice city to be bringing up a family - large enough to have plenty of amenities, but smalll enough it is easy to get to places and get to know people. There is lots of lovely countryside and seaside within a short drive. I think there is a French mother's group, shall see what I can find out. The info above will give you good ideas of places to go. Due to the oil industry, there are a lot of expats from many places round the world.

Do you know what area of Aberdeen your husband will be working in? That will help decide where is best to live as there can be some really bad traffic bottlenecks at certain places. Schools are generally pretty good, there is also an International School if you prefer.

Medee Tue 14-Feb-12 22:45:42

Sorry, can find Russian, Mandarin and Spanish, but no French. I was sure there was one as I worked for a while with a French company and sure I remember someone talking about one.

ljs24 Tue 06-Mar-12 16:48:10

Hi Noraelisa, I live in the city centre and have a 15 month old little girl, she goes to a nursery which has a french teacher, I like living in the city centre as its easy to get about just by walking and there are some really nice places to live. There are lots of parks and other activities going, and if you do move if you just give people a shout on here or one of the other sites for mum's there are meetups. Also if you have any questions you just ask and people are happy to help.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now