Local Talk

I need your help. Any local knowledge and suggestions

(8 Posts)
Teaandcakeplease Fri 06-Apr-12 20:30:57

I am staying in Montrose this week coming for 7 days with my parents in law (they live there). They have no toys, no bikes, no scooters and Montrose is a quiet town really with a pool and a playground as far as I can tell. We stayed there last Easter too and that was dire, as FIL had planned very little and we spent too much time doing nothing and the kids being bored. I am flying up, so there is a limit to what I can bring with me.

So this year after some persuasion, FIL wants to take the car to Aberdeen for soft plays etc. Or anything else the kids may enjoy nearby. FIL insists that you need to speak to local parents who are in the know, as he only moved there 2 years ago. But he doesn't know any parents in Montrose confused

My children are age 3 and 4. So what would you recommend?

Truthfully I am worried already on how to keep the kids busy for 7 whole days with my PIL. I'm divorced, so it's just me and the kids going up too. Any tips or suggestions would be so so appreciated, so I can turn the week into a fun holiday and stop worrying smile

There is a back story somewhere on mn about my PIL, as they're not the easiest of people. If you're wondering at my anxiousness.

Medee Sun 08-Apr-12 16:45:35

I don't know Montrose at all, but you're a not too long a drive to Laurencekirk where there is I think a popular soft play place (dizzy's perhaps?)

Caroline09 Tue 10-Apr-12 15:04:22

Hi, I can't help much with Montrose but with Aberdeen I can help a little. I have 2 boys aged 2 and 3yrs - my eldest turns 4 tomorrow. Wynford Farm in Aberdeen is a good soft play place to go to it is quite new and has 2 soft play areas which are for the different age groups, plus a ride on tractor bit - which is quite small but the kids like it nonetheless. There is a cafe and seating also. There is Doonies rare breed farm which you could go to if the weather is good, they have horses, sheep, cows, pigs, chickens etc which the kids can feed - they get a bucket each to give to the animal - make sure you take cash for that though as they do not have a card machine! Hazelhead Park in Aberdeen has a good outdoor play park as well as Pets corner which has animals like alpacas, goats, donkeys aswell as fish, tortoises and other indoor reptiles - it isn't huge but again the kids like it. There is also a maze at the park which can help take up some time and is a bit of fun. The cafe is closed at the minute so take a picnic if it is a nice day. The main other thing would be the indoor pool at the beach boulevade, check the opening times before you go but they have flumes, shallow areas and wave machine - again good if the weather isn't great. It is near the funfair and crazy golf - guessing your kids are a little young for that though - there is also ramboland there which is an indoor play centre also - not actually been myself but it looks ok. Hope this helps!

Teaandcakeplease Tue 10-Apr-12 22:09:03

Fantastic suggestions! Thank you so much smile

Smize Tue 10-Apr-12 22:20:31

Have heard good things about dizzy rascals soft play in Laurencekirk. How about a trip to Dundee? There's the sensation science centre, discovery point and camperdown park which has a mini zoo. Broughty ferry also worth a trip - great kids park down by the beach if the weather's not too grim! Hope you find some fun things to do!

Smize Tue 10-Apr-12 22:25:48

Oh, and if the sun does come out head for lunan bay. Gorgeous beach just outside Montrose and much nicer than the one in the town itself smile

Teaandcakeplease Wed 11-Apr-12 17:50:57

We've been to Lunan bay on Monday, it was beautiful.

We saw the Discovery last holiday here. That was good.

I am enjoying all the tips, and I am still up here until Sunday. So I plan to make use of them all smile

Yesterday we drove all the way to Dundee for a soft play and today I discovered there is a soft play in Montrose on George Street called Cheeky Monkeys blush

Smize Wed 11-Apr-12 19:26:04

Glad you liked lunan bay, one of my favourite places smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now