Local Talk

Another mum moving to Aberdeen looking for nurseries

(5 Posts)
Sarazinha Fri 06-Jul-12 22:23:41

Hello all!
I am moving to Aberdeen from Portugal with my children and I am looking for nurseries for my DS. So far I have made a list of nurseries in the area between home and work and I would like to know if any of you has an opinion about any of these that can help me in my choice: Firs class nursery; broomhill nursery; bruce nursery; st within nursery; Abacus Hazelhead Nursery.
Any recommendation would be much appreciated! Thanks.

Chatterbox2012 Sun 08-Jul-12 15:35:30

St swithin street is very popular with a long waiting list but worth it if you can get a place. They have opened another nursery so you might find that it is easier to get a place now. I got a place when I was 24 weeks pregnant and they told me then that if I left it any longer I would be unlikely to get a place for a starting date when DD was 10 months old!

Medee Tue 10-Jul-12 19:57:40

Only one of those I can comment on is The Bruce which was on my shortlist, but didnt have the right days when I needed it. I have heard good feedback from those whose children do go.

DappyHays Mon 06-Aug-12 15:24:06

I highly recommend Summers Nursery on St Swithin street. My DD is about to leave there to go to school nursery having been at Summers since the age of 18 months. She is so happy there and receives loving care.

My elder DD attended Hamilton Nursery which was a great facility and my DD was happy there but it wasn't a patch on Summers.

Bruce Nursery is the closest to me and seems lovely but at the time of me choosing I heard a couple of bad reports which put me off. One little boy stood on a rusty nail in the garden, following works there. The nail went straight through his shoe and through his foot and the parents didn't receive an apology or get the impression the nursery gave a fly feck. Another boy was screaming all day and when his mum collected him they discovered that his toe wasn't properly in his baby shoe and bent backwards. He'd been like that from his first nappy change apparently. Both stories I heard within a week of each other that made me discount that nursery. However, I have also heard many good reports too.

My DD attends St Swithins and it is excellent. Lovely staff, lots of interesting activities and my dd is very happy. We managed to get her in within 8 weeks of asking but this may be luck and a space opening up. My niece attends Broomhill it is also very good. Another excellent nursery is great western, if you are looking for a central base.
A friend who works for care commision told me to avoid Bruce nursery. Wouldn't say anymore though. Hope you find somewhere to suit you and welcome to Aberdeen!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now