Local Talk

Private schools Aberdeen

(15 Posts)
Twinmental Tue 20-Nov-12 21:32:56

Stressing about getting my LO into a local private school (Albyn, St Megs or Robert Gordon's - not fussy which LOL).

Can anyone share very generously and tell me what their LO did for their P1 admission assessment and/or share whether you've heard of anyone being turned away for that intake? I mean starting new P1 from nursery, as opposed to entering part way through first year. Thanks so much

AberdeenQuine Fri 18-Jan-13 22:27:46

Maybe late for you as the assessments are now taking place in January.

Why aren't you fussy about which independent school you choose? Seems odd to me. You've also missed out Hamilton and International schools in your list.

For RGC my DD had a 45 minute assessment with the deputy head while 2 P7s gave me a tour of the school. To this day I'm not sure what exactly went on. I think she had to write her name and speak about what her hobbies were.

My DD was also offered a place at Hamilton School as she had a nursery place there. I didn't want her to go to Albyn. RGC was my first choice, I may have applied for Megs if she hadn't been offered a place at RGC.

They offer places at the end of February.

Aberdeenclutterbusters Wed 23-Jan-13 23:05:28

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

AberdeenQuine Tue 29-Jan-13 14:34:59

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

EgeBamyasi Mon 11-Feb-13 13:01:36

I've applied to the Hamilton nursery for DS. I take it the nursery is fine then and it's just the school that has shocking stories AberdeenQuine?

Of the several nurseries I have visited I definitely got the best feeling from the Hamilton, but I was reading the most recent Care Inspectorate report (from a few years ago) and it wasn't exactly glowing - should I be worried?

AberdeenQuine Mon 11-Feb-13 18:06:40

My daughter and her peers were happy there. The stories I've heard are about the bad treatment of staff by the owner. The staff were quite sullen and there was a high turnover of them.

My 2nd child went to Summers nursery in St Swithin Street. The staff there seem happy and are loving in their care. It is a converted townhouse so very homely.

If I had a third and had to choose between the two, I'd choose Summers, no question.

EgeBamyasi Tue 12-Feb-13 22:45:29

Thanks for the feedback, it is definitely something to bear in mind. The staff I have met there seemed very friendly and cheerful and great with the wee ones. Maybe they are just the lastest batch though and aren't yet jaded with the place! hmm

EgeBamyasi Tue 12-Feb-13 22:46:33

*latest!

AberdeenQuine Wed 13-Feb-13 00:23:45

My Dd is in P4 now so it was a while ago she was there. If Julia still works in the baby room then that's a good thing, she was lovely and brilliant with dd.

KarenS43 Fri 15-Feb-13 22:47:49

I know nothing about schools, but re the Hamilton nursery, I have quite a few friends who have or had children there and loved it.

NoDanger Fri 17-Jan-14 02:16:33

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

icekarma Sun 19-Jan-14 10:54:11
missingtheDeen Sun 19-Jan-14 11:02:22

Was also going to post that Hamilton link. This has been rumoured for years so glad it is coming out. I looked at The Hamilton for ds1, also looks at Gordon's as I had gone there and Albyn.

Discarded Gordon's junior school. It is very different to my days there. The new purpose built building is lovely and created to practice holistic teaching which by the time I left just felt like hot housing and I really wasn't keen on the feel.
I liked Albyn much more although never looked as deeply at that because we lived near what turned out to be an amazing primary that both dc went to until we moved away.

Aberdeenclutterbusters Fri 21-Feb-14 19:25:03

Well no worries about anyone going to the Hamilton now as it's been closed.

sshaikh Tue 11-Mar-14 16:31:55

hi

we are moving to aberdeen soon.i have applied for places for my 5 year and 7 year old at robert gordon.does anyone know waht sort assessments they will have to do.thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now