Local Talk

leaving school

(3 Posts)
madmary69 Wed 11-Sep-13 15:40:23

Hi can someone advise me. I have a son that turns 16 in October and has been offered an apprenticeship to commence in october but according to the school he has to stay on until christmas. If he does this he looses the job is there anyway around this. Here we have a kid willing to work but law saying NO there must be something I can do any help appreciated

maturemum1 Sun 06-Oct-13 13:14:22

'Education (Scotland) Act 1980 – Section 35
(1) Where a child of school age who has attended a public school on one or more
occasions fails without reasonable excuse to attend regularly at the said school, then,
unless the education authority have consented to the withdrawal of the child from the
school (which consent shall not be unreasonably withheld), his parent shall be guilty of an
offence against this section.'

I think you need to make a case - provide details of said Apprenticship etc etc and request that he be allowed to leave early. It says such consent should not unreasonably withheld above.
if the School will not play ball, so directly to the Council.
Good luck.

maturemum1 Sun 06-Oct-13 13:15:55

Lots of typos there sorry - here is the link:http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Resource/Doc/207380/0055026.pdf

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now