primary schools in totteridge

(8 Posts)
goldbutterfly Wed 07-Sep-11 16:47:30

Hello We are about to move to Totteridge and there are 2 primary schools there St andrews c of e and woodridge primary school - does anyone have any opinions on these - I think the heads have changed since the ofsted so wondered what the current feeling is? Thank you!

goldbutterfly Thu 08-Sep-11 18:23:57

just found there is also st andrews - any mums know anything please???

N20mother Sun 25-Sep-11 20:44:54

Woodridge is a bit bigger as they have added classes.

They are fairly similar in the sorts of families they attract other than St Andrews is C of E and friends with kids there say the head is VERY religious. They send bible quotes home for the kids to read with their parents. Fine if you are very christian but most of the families there are not even c of E (most places were not taken up by churchgoers because the school was not very popular so anyone who wanted a place and lived in Barnet got one some years).

I have the impression that the head is not that well liked but did make some improvements as the school had even more problems before. Friend feels her kids (one KS1, one KS2) are not challenged much although they are very happy goign to school

MammyT Thu 29-Sep-11 23:07:45

I honestly think you might be confusing this school with another? The head is ver popular and the religion is very moderate indeed. But it is after all a CofE school so you'd expect some religion in my opinion.

It's a very popular, local school.

N20mother Sun 02-Oct-11 14:14:43

No definitely not mixed up about it. She is a good friend who has two dc there. It could just be she has a different opinion to you. Maybe your kids (am assuming you have some there) are younger and you have had a good start there but hers are older and have had a mixed experience. Some very good things, some less so. It has a lovely location and im quite envious of that.also says the families are pretty nice.

Gold don't let me put you off....best thing to visit both and see. I don't have first hand experience so what I said that is negative might not be fair.

MammyT Sun 23-Oct-11 22:24:02

N2mother - yes I have children there which is why I'm surprised at your friend's feedback. But every has their own opinion of course and what suits one child won't suit another.

Woodridge is another fine school in my opinion and they share facilities such as after-school club.

jambomum Tue 17-Jan-12 11:53:50

Friends have kids at Woodridge. It's one class per year (so quite a small school). The head has been there years and always thinks she knows what is best. We looked round it a couple of years ago and she said that she put particular emphasis on ensuring that kids with special needs were fully integrated in the class. That of course is great to hear and lovely if your child has special needs, but it does mean that in a class of 30 with a teacher and TA, if your child is bright or at least capable, then they are less likely to be pushed.
My friend there says that it is lovely and loving, but not a particularly good education.
Hope that helps.

Tottmum Wed 19-Oct-16 22:37:38

Saw this post and felt I had to comment as it's really out of date and doesn't reflect what's currently going on in the school and the area. DD attends St Andrew's and is loving everyday there (she cries when the holidays are coming). New headteacher appointed a couple of years ago has created a lovely warm school. Staff are wonderful and teach really interesting and fun lessons (according to DD). Head and Deputy Head are seen everyday in playground and happy to chat with parents. Exam results are excellent too

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now