Local Talk

Moving to Frome - tips on schools, nurseries and all things kiddie very welcome!

(30 Posts)
Lexingtonlala Thu 01-Sep-11 22:27:45

Hello! We are moving to Frome and I was wondering if anyone could offer us some insider information, as it were, on things like primary schools, nurseries and toddler groups. I have two boys: a four year old starting school next week and a 16 month old.

I feel nervous about moving my family - especially the four year old at such a key time. Any advice, tips, local knowledge and so on would be really helpful. Are there any schools/nurseries I should avoid? Are there any regular toddler groups? Frome does seem like such a friendly, family sort of place.

Thanks for your help!

RebeccaMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 07-Sep-11 16:16:24

Frome is lovely, DH and i bought our first house there.
Unfortunately, I have no experience of childcare/schools in Frome as my children where too young but there is a great park and Frome high street has loads of lovely quirky back street shops.

Sorry I can't be of more help, but very jealous, Frome is 'grut lush' as they say grin

Thingiebob Sun 11-Sep-11 21:49:58

I'm bumping this as I may be moving to Frome soon.

Lexingtonlala Wed 14-Sep-11 14:43:00

Thanks Rebecca, glad to hear you have good memories of the place, it's encouraging. It does seem like a top town. And Thingie, you are very welcome to bump this thread! When are you moving?

crikeybadger Sun 18-Sep-11 09:59:32

Another hopeful bump as Frome is somewhere we are considering too.

Went for a little look around yesterday and it seemed to have a good buzz about it and lovely little independent shops on Catherine Hill.

Would be interested to hear about people's experiences of living there, schools, nurseries etc. Also, what are good areas to live in (we prefer older style houses).

Many thanks.

crikeybadger Tue 04-Oct-11 19:29:22

Just wondered how you were getting on with your research Lexingtonlala?

Somebody mentioned to me the other day that they are hoping to set up a 'free school' in Frome in 2013. The website is here if you fancy a look.

Have you got a feel for the primary schools yet? Trinity seems to have a good reputation but I see that Vallis also gets a good Ofsted.

technoduck Fri 07-Oct-11 09:56:44

hello! this is my first message on mumsnet, hope im doing it right! whats bumping? anyway me and the better half live in frome and are trying for a baby, im very new to the area (partner has lived here for years) and would love to try and find out whats going on in the area!

crikeybadger Fri 07-Oct-11 10:52:31

Hello technoduck, welcome to mumsnet! smile

Bumping is adding another message so that the thread reappears in 'active conversations'. This way, more people will see it, well that's the idea anyway!

How are you finding living in Frome?

kellestar Sun 09-Oct-11 20:17:19

We live over towards MSN and often visit Frome, the NCT are really active and have some good groups. My little one is 10 months so really have no idea about the schools.

There are often things going on down at the Cheese and Grain as well.

technoduck you may want to check out 'great expectations' it's a antenatal peer support group who meet for coffee chat and to talk about all things bump.

technoduck Mon 10-Oct-11 09:16:06

Im finding Frome lovely thank you! and thanks for the advice on 'great expectations' x

herbiesmama Thu 03-Nov-11 12:55:32

Hi everyone, netmums newbie here! I'm a mum of 3 gorgeous boys (13yrs,9yrs and 6 months)and a frome girl (moved down with partner from London 12 years ago!)We absolutely LOVE!! Frome.It is a really fab place to bring up children and has a very cool ,ecclectic arty vibe to the place.The people are so friendly and there's a real feeling of community with all the families here also there is so much going on that even a townie will not lack for things to do and a group to get involved with.We live opposite victoria park which is lovely with a cute vintage tea shop and bandstand /with playground and skatepark on the other side.The best places to live imo are around catherine hill area/trinity/vallis areas(lovely old cottages and some very grand houses too if you have the cash!) or innox hill/elm areas are very pretty as it borders the river frome.I'm not too sure about primary schools as my eldest is at frome college (v.good rep- esp arts/media),and my 9yr old is in a little village school called crockerton (a lovely school in lovely surroundings)I have just started taking my 6 month old to playgroup.We go to trinity toddlers in the united reform church-it's lovely and friendly-i recommend!
hayley smile xx

St johns is a very good primary, would also recommend trinity. As nurseries go...theres Tall trees in oldford which is highly recomended, Butterflies, The key centre, and The garden nursery are other good ones!

emmakins Fri 30-Mar-12 16:53:09

Hi, I am a new mum to Frome too having moved from London, and a little homesick at the moment grin( ....(we moved here 6 weeks ago). I have a 4 year old (not yet in school), an 8 year old and a 12 year old. Can I bring my 4 year old to trinity toddlers or is he a little too big? Would love to hear from other mum's in the area, new to Frome or otherwise. :-) xx

kellestar Wed 04-Apr-12 19:39:40

The library do a sing and rhyme time on Friday's at 11am. I popped in to go through the knitting books and unbeknownst to me, timed it perfectly to join in. It's for the toddlers more so, but they have a session for babies on Tuesdays at 11am.

KMinty Mon 23-Apr-12 15:56:23

I'm also a new mum to Frome, emmakins, we moved in on 30 March from London and am also feeling a little homesick. I have a 3 1/2 year old boy and a 1 1/2 year old girl, and am expecting 3rd in October. Just when I was on top of all the groups we upped sticks and came here! Can we just turn up at the Key Centre? I'd love to hear from other mums too! It's all a little overwhelming... :-)

jjwestwiltshire Mon 18-Jun-12 14:23:40

Hi all

I run the local Jo Jingles (Music & Movement) for children aged 3 months to 5 years and would love for you all to come along to my classes on a Friday. I offer free sessions for all children under 6 months and also offer free trial sessions and sibling discount rates. If you would like to come along to a class I run them at Frome Scout Hut at Welshmill Lane:
9:45am - Over 2's
10:40am Walking - 2's
11:35am - Babies to walking
You can email me at jjwestwiltshire@gmail.com or for further information or visit my website www.jojingles.com/westwiltshire

I hope to hear from you all soon.

Thanks
Hayley

wendybird77 Wed 20-Jun-12 17:06:28

Hi -

We are considering a move to Frome as well. Finding we are priced out of Bath and looking for somewhere near good schools (have a 3 year old and 1 year old). I know nothing of the area, so any tips of where to look / avoid would be greatly appreciated from those already there!

Ta!

iluvkids Tue 17-Jul-12 21:17:39

Rainbow nursery on Portway, Frome, is great.

Thingiebob Tue 24-Jul-12 14:17:10

Hello
Am refreshing this thread as I've now moved here and am attempting to find a nursery and friends! Any tips?

iluvkids Thu 02-Aug-12 18:20:14

Thingiebob - have sent you a message smile

Clarko1 Thu 18-Oct-12 08:30:11

Hello
I am new to the site but really after some advice on school and colleges as we are thinking of moving to frome. My daughter is 11 at secondary and my son is 16 so at college. Also surrounding villages can I have some advice please, thank you.

framboisine Tue 23-Oct-12 14:44:29

We have lived in frome since a month before my first daughter was born. She is now six and we have two more daughters aged nearly 4 and just 1. There is loads going on for families - it is such a family oriented place with an arty, creative vibe. My daughter is at Trinity school which is really excellent and the middle one is at Sunflower Montessori nursery - also great. We do Trinity Toddlers and I am about to start a parent and toddler French session which I am hoping will be very welcoming and an opportunity to meet new people as well as learning something completely new.

Good luck - it really is a great place to live.

Linlinlin Fri 25-Jan-13 20:00:30

Hiya I moved to frome last August and my little one goes to play group. Looking for some friends here smile

ThermalKaty Sat 26-Jan-13 11:24:33

I had trouble finding good long term nursery provision when I was working full time & had to resort to a mish mash of childcare. I hope its easier now but my daughter is older & I juggle with working from home. School holiday clubs are short & rare. But as a place to live it is the best!

Linlinlin Sun 27-Jan-13 20:09:42

I can recommend butterfly pre school it's brill and open in holidays x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now