Local Talk

New Bath Toddler Group with a Twist - What do you think?

(9 Posts)
FillyYoung Tue 01-Nov-11 17:47:31

Hi we are two Mums from Bath looking to set up a new toddler/pre-school group with a twist offering a different themed activity each week. The group would take place on a Tuesday morning on a drop-in basis.

We would like to attract people from all over Bath and would love to know what you think?

At the moment we have a choice of two venues. Bath City Football Club, just off Twerton High Street, or The Hut on Newton road, a five minute walk from Twerton High Street. Which would you prefer and how far are you prepared to travel to attend a group? Also how much do you expect to pay? Any feedback would really be appreciated!

JenaiMarrHePlaysGuitar Thu 03-Nov-11 11:51:40

I have no idea what toddler groups are around these days (waaaay past that stage!), and don't know either venue.

I would say though to check what else is going on on your chosen morning - if there are established groups already you'll find it difficult to drum up members.

clottedcream Mon 07-Nov-11 12:55:21

I'd go for ease of access so The Hut and I would expect to pay £3.50 for an hour if an activity were included, resfreshments such as coffee, juice and biscuits

kellestar Fri 11-Nov-11 21:27:07

Access would be my first priority, as I drive [live on Bath outskirts] ease of parking would also hinge it for me.

It would also depend on what else is going on in the area, you may find you attract a certain age group [older/younger] if there is something nearby that may clash.

Drop in basis appeals to me. But I must admit that the most I currently pay is £1 per family including drink/biscuit, but not neccessarily a take home activity each week. It can be quite a PITA to buy all the kit for a nice activity and either have not enough people turn up or too many. This could affect how you fund such activities. Also found that when you produce a list of activities that they turn up for the ones they fancy and not others, but won't let you know in advance if they plan on missing them because the activity is pants.

I ran a Saturday morning kids [school age] craft club and at first it was on a drop in basis, however if you wanted to book in advance a discount was offered as you could take an advance payment [termly] and could [pretty much] guarentee that they'd be there for the activities and so weren't loosing on costs.

completenamechange Tue 15-Nov-11 15:01:25

I run children's activities in Bath, and without wanting to put too much of a downer on your project, I would think seriously about starting up a new business at this time. The market is totally saturated with activities for babies/toddlers and preschoolers. Have a look on Bathmums or (cough) Netmums to see just how much is going on - everything from baby massage, baby sensory, sing and sign, Gym (Tumbletots, Baskervilles), music (Jo Jingles, Kindermusik), Rugby Tots, Socatots, craft (Creation Station), languages (MiniLingua, Jolie Ronde) plus loads of other "paid for" groups, let alone the toddler groups in church halls. Even though Bath is a fairly affluent town, money is still tight and there are only so many activities parents will want to do or can afford.

Cupcakeaddict Mon 28-Nov-11 15:05:50

In terms of pricing, well you need to give your project a bit more thoughts - How much is it going to cost to set up and to run (cost of the hall, insurance, materials, advertisement...)?

Once you have worked that out, how many people are you expecting to come? How much do you want to pay yourself, if anything? Add it all, divide by number of people expected... How much is it? Is it what people would be prepared to pay?

Also, (and I hope you won't be offended) is your idea that original? It sounds a lot like the creation station and they are already set up in Bath.

I have done the usual baby classes and they all costs over £5 a session so anything around that price or less would be fine.

Good luck!

1gglePiggle Mon 28-Nov-11 23:53:23

There is already quite a lot going on on Tuesday mornings. Near to where you are planning is the stay and play session at first steps children's centre ( only costs £1) and bath city farm do roots and shoots toddler group for a couple of quid. I wouldn't want to pay anymore than £3.

FillyYoung Tue 03-Jan-12 00:03:37

just wanted to say thank you to everyone for all your feedback and advice smile We have decided to give the group a go and will be running a free taster session at Bath City Football Club, on Tuesday 10th January, 10.00 to 11.30am. So please come along. The theme will be the Hungry Caterpillar. Hopefully see some of you there!

OooShiney Wed 18-Jan-12 19:41:40

Filly don't forget to add your group into the Directory, best place for it would be Classes and Parent and Toddler this is the current list of activities in that section you are welcome to list your group in more than one section by creating a new directory page in that section.

I hope it went well!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now