Local Talk

independent schools in Bath for reception age

(9 Posts)
bettiejane Sun 13-Nov-11 15:25:46

Any reccomendations on these? i have a daughter

franticallyjugglinglife Sun 13-Nov-11 15:34:02

A friend of mine's daughter goes to Stonar just outside Bath and couldnt be more positive about it.

YougreatPumpkinmousse Mon 14-Nov-11 17:45:24

I have just been to see Stonar for my eldest and we were not impressed at all, the reception class teacher was very pushy and questioned DD1 (not yet 3 at the time) about letters and number and was very dismissive when DD, understandably, didn't get them right. We have 2 friends who have recently removed girls due to bullying.

We have looked at Kingswood, which we loved and the staff were fantastic and the facilities are great, The Royal High was great too but DH wants co-ed for juniors. King Edwards is also great but a bit pushy for us. Monkton Coombe is sweet but very church based which put DH off. Friends have a daughter at the Paragon and they are incredibly happy with their choice for their DD, it would have been our second choice had we stayed in the Bath area. As it is we have moved into Wiltshire and our DD goes to a tiny school just outside Devizes which has been am amazing find.

QTPie Mon 14-Nov-11 21:26:16

Hi

We have looked at KES, Kingswood and Monkton Combe. We will sign up for KES from nursery (age 3). Although we have a boy and not a girl.

Given free choice, I would go for Monkton Combe (it has such a lovely feel). However it is quite a distance from us and very church based (Anglican). I don't think that is too bad, but DH is Catholic and I think that is too much of a push in the wrong direction! We don't require a Catholic school as such and The Paragon doesn't appeal.

KES is the best compromise for us: not too religious (in any direction), good facilities, very good academically (not too pushy at pre-prep, but does get pretty competitive through prep and senior - am hoping that DS will find that a challenge that he wants to rise too) and good sports/extra-curricular opportunities. KES doesn't take boarders (all day pupils), so has a slightly different feel to the schools that do.

You really need to go to the open days (just missed some - there were loads in October) and see how they appeal to you and your daughter.

QT

Justamum38 Mon 04-Jun-12 23:12:42

I have looked at lots of schools and decided on stonar. Lovely reception teacher! Not pushy at all! My dd loves it there and has been there for a few years. Have friends at Kingswood who really love it there too. Another friend thought it a little too sporty for their son. Depends on what you are looking for. Heard Kes quite academic and large classes.

u4coffee Tue 05-Jun-12 14:28:33

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Justamum38 Wed 06-Jun-12 21:00:47

I have chosen Stonar! It's lovely!

u4coffee Sun 10-Jun-12 20:35:12

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Joanna1960 Thu 14-Jun-12 14:47:06

I have had one at Stonar and one probably to go - lovely school and has developed beautifully. Can't say I say any pushy staff.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now