Local Talk

Girls wkend recommendations

(17 Posts)
Hedwigthehedgehog Wed 07-Mar-12 17:00:24

Hi

Am coming to bath on a girls weekend and was hoping for some recommendations.

One day will def be spent shopping smile not sure about the other.

Would love some restaurant ideas, nothing too hideously expensive, but don't want to just end up in a pizza express as we don't know where to go.

None of us have ever been to bath before, just looked like a nice place!

here it's by the railway station

OooShiney Fri 09-Mar-12 09:13:07

The Fashion Museum is good. Jane Austen Centre is also good. [[http://www.bizarrebath.co.uk/ comedy walk] is also good, but won't be running until the end of the month. Thermae Bath Spa is lush, especially an evening visit to the roof top spa.

Anything in particular you fancy? I've not been out to eat in Bath for a long time and quite alot of places I loved have gone. Wagamama are quite nice for a lunch stop while shopping as it's not too heavy food. I also like the Thai Balcony, but can't find much on the web, they might have changed name.

QTPie Fri 16-Mar-12 20:12:33

Yes, Thermae Spa...

Good Italian with varied menu - http://www.martinirestaurant.co.uk/ - fairly well priced....

PaigeTurner Mon 19-Mar-12 08:28:29

We went to the Tramshed for dinner recently, it was delicious, good atmosphere, not too pricey.

JenaiMarrHePlaysGuitar Thu 22-Mar-12 13:58:20

yy to the Fashion Museum and the Spa.

As for restaurants, I really like Lime Lounge , which is in a nice location right near the Circus and the Royal Crescent (two streets away from where I grew up, fwiw!), and isn't terribly expensive.

Alternatively, Woods is right by the Assembly Rooms (so close to the Fashion Museum) and is a bit of an institution. I've not been for a couple of years, but that's only because I don't get out much these days. Before then I was a bit of a regular.

JenaiMarrHePlaysGuitar Thu 22-Mar-12 14:16:03

Just to echo what OooShiny says, quite a few of the old standards, the ones that were there for decades, have gone. Woods survives though, and Martini (which QT links to) opened in the early/mid 90s, so although I think of it as being a young whippersnapper, it has actually been around for a good few years. So there are still a couple of places that haven't been taken over by the dreaded chains, or gentrified to within an inch of their lives smile

OohShiney I miss the Moon terribly sad

JenaiMarrHePlaysGuitar Thu 22-Mar-12 14:20:00

Funny how Thai Balcony don't have a website [consued]

Anyway, Thai Basil on Walcot Street do. Have had a takeout from them and it was delicious.

JenaiMarrHePlaysGuitar Thu 22-Mar-12 14:23:30

confused even.

Meh, you know what I meant!

TheRhubarb Thu 22-Mar-12 14:31:29

We really should have another Bath meet-up you know.

I don't go to Bath often Hedwig but it's nice enough. Lots of street artists near the Roman Baths who are always entertaining and there is usually some sort of exhibition on. I second the Lime Lounge - went there for my birthday and the two guys who run it are really really friendly. It looks small but there is more room towards the back. They gave me a cake with a candle in it when we went smile

I'm sure you'll have a great time!

exexpat Thu 22-Mar-12 14:35:20

I like Yen sushi which is just round the corner from the fashion museum - conveyor belt sushi, but much, much better than Yo Sushi.

I've only been to Woods once, but wasn't hugely impressed - it seemed very old fashioned, and the food rather boring, but then I'm vegetarian so I probably wasn't getting the best of the menu.

Speaking of which, Demuths is brilliant, and I know lots of meat-eaters who enjoy eating there too.

Bath is not short of shopping, but if any of you are into vintage/antiquey/crafty stuff, Green Park station has a Saturday market and regular vintage fairs.

TheRhubarb Thu 22-Mar-12 14:43:13

Actually there is a vintage market at the racecourse this weekend I think.

JenaiMarrHePlaysGuitar Thu 22-Mar-12 15:01:15

yy, Rhubs - a meet-up!

exex I worked at Woods a few <ahem> years ago and they weren't terribly vegetarian-focussed. A lot of pride was taken in the fact that Pricey cut his own steaks, and every now and then I'd open the walk-in fridge to be faced with an entire (dead) pig in an armchair.

So yes, great for carnivores, not so super for vegetarians.

TheRhubarb Thu 22-Mar-12 15:03:04

<makes note of Woods in her favourite places notebook>

Shall we organise one Jenai?

JenaiMarrHePlaysGuitar Thu 22-Mar-12 15:19:19

yy!

OooShiney Fri 23-Mar-12 16:37:41

Demuths is yum even for those that aren't entirely veggie. I tend to get Bens Cookies, Shakeaway and a Pasty as it's just easier when in town on my lonesome with DD.

A bath meet-up would be fab, I missed the last one.

I quite enjoyed a pie and pint in the Crystal Palace on knitting nights [which I haven't gone to since falling PG, just too knackered] which is in a back street behing the Roman Baths, not far from Demuth's.

JenaiMarrHePlaysGuitar Fri 23-Mar-12 19:42:37

Many moons ago, pre-school and FT working, I used to take ds to Bottelino's for a treat. I think it was about £3.95 for a giant pizza on weekday lunchtimes. Happy days smile

A pasty in the Pigeon Park (ie that patch of grass by the pet shop and the recently-departed Modellers Den) was another regular thing.

And of course the Sausage Shop. The chaps in there were so lovely to ds, and their Scotch eggs were (and I guess still are) lush. We also used to pick up something lovely for tea (mussels mainly, they were cheap!) from Fishworks. I miss Fishworks sad

ANYway, a meet-up. Rhubs could you do a shout out? You're better known than I, and thus have more clout.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now