Local Talk

Older kids

(7 Posts)
Tonytiger Mon 16-Apr-12 23:27:56

My boys are 12,10 and 7. We are considering a move to bath are there plenty of sports facilities for this age group without having to drive miles. Also does anyone have children at bryanston per chance. Desperately trying to make plans for eldest sons next steps. Living in Oxford at moment but not happy with choice of schools .

WatneyShed Tue 17-Apr-12 10:52:51

I'd not heard of Bryanston so had to Google it. Blandford is quite a trek from Bath - driving to and from would really eat into your weekends. Have you considered any of the schools in Bath? I assume you're not considering state schools, but there are a several independents. Have a look at KES maybe.

wrt sports, the council leisure centre has seen better days (to put it mildly). Team Bath run activities at the University. There are rugby and football leagues elsewhere but I have a rather unsporty ds so I'm not the best person to ask!

Tonytiger Tue 17-Apr-12 23:07:28

Thanks for that watneyshed, yes it is about an hours drive from Bath but appears to be a good fit for the boys. It would of course be more sensible
to live closer to the school but I am struggling to see myself in the middle of the country side whilst the boys are happily ensconced in school hubby in London
Etc,etc....We would consider a state school but past experience has left us quite nervous of this path. Because the boys are dyslexic it makes the decision a little
More complicated my heart always sinks when I have to ask the learning support question and find that yet again the boys are not quite as welcome as one would hope. Many schools claim to be inclusive but when you look a little closer they are simply paying lip service . But thank you for your reply I will certainly check out KES.

WatneyShed Wed 18-Apr-12 09:30:35

I know people who have specifically chosen Kingswood for their children as they have dyslexia - so there's another place worth looking at. I take my son there for swimming lessons on Saturdays and there always seem to be matches going on, which might appeal to you and your boys.

I'm not trying to put you off Bryanston by the way! But the journey isn't as swift as it looks from the map, iyswim. Having said that Bath seems ideal if your husband is working in London, and it's a good place to grow up.

Have a look here too. I have no idea if they're any good or not, but they're near Bath. I've never heard them mentioned on MN or IRL but it has to be worth getting in touch I reckon.

whothefuckputmeincharge Fri 18-May-12 13:29:40

Yep. Lots of sports for boys. Mine are 11, 10, 7 and 2. Rugby, football, climbing, mountain biking, walking, swimming. Blah.

Beechan Cliff? A sporty all boys comprehensive. King Edwards? A sporty all boys independent.

It is all close by. Still seems to involve a lot of driving grin

MrsCampbellBlack Fri 18-May-12 13:33:16

I have some knowledge of Kingswood and think to be honest that the private senior schools in Bath aren't fab for any type of extra needs although this may be changing. But Kingswood is excellent for sports so could be worth considering.

And yes the university do offer lots of sporty stuff during termtime and the holidays.

JenaiMarrHePlaysGuitar Mon 04-Jun-12 10:43:37

KES is co-ed, whothe.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now