Local Talk

Good secondary schools in Bath

(12 Posts)

Hi all, I'm after some advice of good areas in Bath with good secondary schools. Can anyone help?

CremeEggThief Sun 03-Jun-12 17:33:36

Watching with interest, so bumping for you.

State or independent? Girls or boys? Most of the best state secondaries are single sex. Any advice on which areas will work for you will depend on you answers to the above questions! grin. Do tell us more!

CremeEggThief Sun 03-Jun-12 18:09:40

State for me, please. My DS is only 9, so still a couple of years to go. We are currently in the north east, but may be relocating to Bath within the next few months. Previously lived in Bristol prior to our move up here, so hence the preference for Bath schools, although I've heard the Keynsham schools are good too.
Thanks in advance.

Beechen Cliff boys school in Bath (South side of the city on Bear Flat) is the best performing state school in the county, and has an excellent mixed 6th form which attracts a fair number of pupils (boys AND girls ) from independent schools. Wellsway school in Keynsham is mixed and also gets very good results. Keynsham is much more affordable than Bath!

FullBeam Sun 03-Jun-12 18:41:33

Oldfield School has excellent results and is an outstanding school. It is currently a girls' school but is taking boys for the first time this September.

CremeEggThief Sun 03-Jun-12 19:00:20

Thanks a lot for the info. We would be renting for the time being, so flexible on area, but I have a feeling that very nearly all of the Bath and Keynsham schools would be a better bet than Bristol's.

I gather secondary schools in Bristol are a real issue for many parents.

Bath is quite a small compact city, but cross-town traffic can be awful in the rush hour, and public transport is expensive, scanty and unreliable, so it is worth checking out bus routes before you decide where to live.

JenaiMarrHePlaysGuitar Mon 04-Jun-12 10:55:00

All the schools in Bath are ok tbh, although Oldfield is weird (or at least the head is).

Bath Academy (or whatever Culverhay is calling itself come September) is an unknown though.

CremeEggThief Mon 04-Jun-12 11:00:26

Thanks again. I gather Culverhay is currently inadequate, although as you say, it will be unknown as an academy.

We are actually off to Bath today for a few days, to get to know the outskirts of the city a bit better, and also catch up with some old pals from Bristol. Really looking forward to it now smile.

JenaiMarrHePlaysGuitar Mon 04-Jun-12 11:40:37

www.cabotlearningfederation.net/ are the people taking over Culverhay.

CremeEggThief Mon 04-Jun-12 12:04:58

Cheers for the link, Jenai.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now