Local Talk

Moving to Somerset

(7 Posts)
tomtoms Wed 18-Jul-12 21:23:42

Hi there, I've just joined so hope I've got this right. Please can anyone recommend nice places to live in Somerset, within commutable distance of Bristol (no more than 50-60mins)? We like parts of Bristol but cannot afford areas we like. Our son is 6 and so a good school is a priority. We like the look and feel of Frome, but wonder if it is a nice friendly place to live.Any advice welcome...thanks!

kellestar Fri 20-Jul-12 11:42:45

Frome is lovely, has a few nice schools, a good pool and a nice little town centre. The time to get into Bristol is probably over an hour

Do you know what parts of Bristol you'd be working in? As Midsomer Norton/Radstock is also good for commuting and has some lovely schools too. With nearby villages like Paulton/High Littleton/Temple Cloud/Clutton being a short commute into Bristol [regular buses too] I live nearby and DH works near the M32 Junction 2 and it takes him an hour to be in for 8am. I worked in the centre and did park and ride in Brislington, took about an hour in all to arrive for 9am. The bus takes about an hour to arrive in the centre too and runs every hour but is quite pricey.

Keynsham and Whitchurch are on the edge of Bristol, but not sure about schools/house prices.

tomtoms Fri 03-Aug-12 19:26:07

Thanks so much for your response, which is really helpful. We will have a look at Midsomer Norton and Radstock. We really like Frome at the moment, we were there last weekend and it seems to have a laid back friendly feel to it. Partner will be travelling right into city centre, so definatley would not be any further out than thisa. We drove through Long Ashton which seemed nice but a bit pricey.

iluvkids Sun 05-Aug-12 21:25:08

Yes, Frome is a nice friendly place to live

Feel free to ask any questions

tomtoms Thu 09-Aug-12 20:49:33

Thanks :-) we drove from Bristol to Frome in the rush hour and it was a bit disappointing as it took just over an hour, that commute there and back everyday might get a bit much! It was such a shame as we both really got a good feeling about the place and people seemed friendly and nice. We can take our time with our search and a friend suggested Portishead, which is obviously quite different to Frome, but much easier to commute to. It looks like a nice place and I just looked at the schools which look good. Can you offer any advice?

OooShiney Fri 10-Aug-12 16:29:52

not much use on Portishead, but if you switch to the MN Bristol page I know there are some Portishead-ians over there who should be able to advise.

tomtoms Mon 13-Aug-12 11:56:24

Thats for your help will do.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now