Local Talk

Things to do near Bath with DCs?

(7 Posts)
TheDoctrineOfEnnis Sun 02-Sep-12 08:06:33

Hello Bath'ers!

We are bringing the DCs (5 and 2.5) down to Bath area next weekend to meet up with overseas relatives. A 70 year old woman who walks with a walker may be involved, though she would sit on a bench happily during any energetic bits. Any ideas on what might suit all of us? So far I am wondering about the Fleet Air Museum or the Midsomer Norton railway? Happy to come into central Bath but not sure if there is much for DCs. Don't mind high entrance charges or whatever as haven't seen the relatIves for years!

Sleepysand Sun 02-Sep-12 16:46:49

In Bath itself is a beautiful, huge, park, next to Park Road. Masses to do, you could spend a day there. Botanical Gardens adjacent. Free!!!

Also, Avon Valley theme park, and Longest - a fair amount of walking though ... And if rainy, @bristol is fabulous.

Sleepysand Sun 02-Sep-12 16:47:32

Ugh predictive text... Longleat!!!

TheDoctrineOfEnnis Sun 02-Sep-12 16:50:14

Ooh thanks! I will look at those!

kellestar Thu 06-Sep-12 18:48:18

I also second Victoria Park. Good walking for old and young, play area has plenty of benches. Take a picnic or wander along to the Marlborough Tavern for a yummy lunch [their roasts are delicious and generous]

Avon Valley is also good, haven't been with DD, but have taken Rainbows, Brownies and Guides on day's out there over the years and it's always proved a hit.

@Bristol is amazingly fun for all ages, the littles will love it and there is good flat walking about for after. The weather looks good so it may be worth taking a change of clothes for the littles as there is a fountain in millenium square which DD 18 mo and Dnephew 3 loved splashing for about an hour afterwards. A walk away is the MShed which is the free Bristol museum on the local heritage, quite good for local interest. You've also got the SS Great Britain along again, which is alright, it has lifts to get you between levels and down into the dry docks, but the floors are quite uneven. I managed to trip over most things smile

Fleet Air Museum is a v. long way from Bath! shock Agree that Victoria Park (if the weather is good) has a fabulous playground. There is usually parking available as well. Victoria Park is also adjacent to the Royal Crescent/Circus and there are some excellent child-friendly eating places nearby (Lime Lounge anyone?)

Other options would be the recently disabled-access-facilitated Roman Baths, which has lots for even v. young children to see, or the small but perfectly-formed and wonderful Holburne Museum (free entrance, child-friendly and also fully-accessible!) with a lovely cafe backing onto the Sydney Pleasure Gardens.

Thedoctrineofennis Fri 07-Sep-12 00:27:40

Thanks for the extra ideas, guys! I will read up on them tomorrow, yay!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now