Local Talk

Advise me please on what's occurring in this beautiful city if I have a two year old

(14 Posts)
TeaMakesItToTheTop Tue 09-Oct-12 20:04:40

I'm about to spend three months between contracts being a SAHP to a bouncy, fun and interested in life 2.10 yo boy. I've only ever spent time not working when I've been on maternity leave and so most of my experience of day time stuff to do is of baby sensory, pilates etc. So what can I do with my youngest DS to fill the stimulation that his nursery gives him? Adventures for the two of us and group activities required.

Thanks in advance

kellestar Tue 09-Oct-12 21:11:09

Baskervilles have some good toddler gym classes. There is also hidden woods for the more outdoor enthusiastic toddler.

Swimming is also good as it tires them out splendidly and you can often get a nice cake and coffee in town while they zonk out in the buggy.

My DD is 21 months and is a fair handful, small but packed full of zing.

have a look at Bath Mums they have a what's on boards with all the latest stuff on it.

TeaMakesItToTheTop Wed 10-Oct-12 07:47:14

Thanks guys. Great ideas. I have images of standing I'm Victoria Park in the driving rain to get out and about!

QTPie Thu 11-Oct-12 22:36:38

I second Baskervilles - very good and the weather doesn't matter. There are classes and also open "soft play" sessions.

Zany Zone (soft play) at the sports centre (I haven tried it)

There is no a "toddler sense" class, but I haven't tried it.

Rugby Tots? Soccer Tots? There is a toddler tennis session at the university (once they turn 3). I believe that there is also toddler trampolining at the university too.

QTPie Thu 11-Oct-12 22:37:51

We also do Waterbabies, but have been doing it since DS was 14 weeks old (now 2 years 8 months) - it might be harder to pick up later on...

TeaMakesItToTheTop Fri 12-Oct-12 19:57:14

Ahhh. The zany zone. It's a place which reminds me of early Sundays with my older boys. How could I forget. <shudders>

Team Bath. Of course:-) thank you.

What about things like playgroups and mum and child sessions in church halls like in the 70s? Do these things exist anymore?

OooShiney Fri 12-Oct-12 20:15:03

I think there are still toddler groups, but I have no idea about them in central bath. I have tried to list some in the local directory. If you pop into a childrens centre they often have a magazine called families upon avon, which has a good list of local groups, where and what days they meet on. There is also the free magazine Bath Parent, which I think is also in the childrens centres.

QTPie Fri 12-Oct-12 20:40:13

Hi

There is a playgrouo in Batheaston, at the school, Tuesday mornings (sorry, not sure of the times). If that isn't too far for you.

QT

QTPie Fri 12-Oct-12 20:42:35

Oh and one at Newbridge Methodist Church (right by the top of Chelsea Rd) called "Peter Pan Playgroup" I believe.

IveNoIntentionOfMakingCupcakes Wed 17-Oct-12 22:11:59

I attend several playgroups with my very active toddler:
St Bart's, Oldfield Park on Monday mornings
St Andrews, Foxhill on Tues mornings
St Alphege's, Oldfield Park on Friday mornings
They are all really friendly and offer lots for children of toddler age. The second two have outdoor space too.
Also, have a look at Bath City Farm's website as they have activities for kids on certain days.

TriggersBroom Wed 17-Oct-12 22:18:55

There's also Jo Jingles on Mondays in Twerton, and Tuesdays and Thursdays in Bathwick.

TeaMakesItToTheTop Thu 18-Oct-12 22:38:36

Wow. Thanks. Lots of things to do.

I'm going to go and practice my "i'm not shy" persona in the mirror in preparation.

And the go search it all on tinternet.

IveNoIntentionOfMakingCupcakes Sat 20-Oct-12 22:41:44

No need to be shy tea. Although I know exactly how you feel. All three of the playgroups I mentioned are so friendly and the people that run them make a real effort to introduce new mums, that's not to say that everyone there knows eachother but it's nice to be greeted by one of the organisers when you first arrive. The one at St Alphege's is not very big so you find yourself chatting easily to people you don't know.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now