Local Talk

How long to commute from Bath to Bristol - and is it viable?

(14 Posts)
HeadingSW Tue 12-Mar-13 20:01:08

Hi there
Just wondered if anyone could tell me if Bath to Bristol is a feasible commute in the mornings? I know it's hardly any distance but hear terrible things about the traffic. I'd need to get to Bishopston which doesn't look very near the main train station, coming from S or SE Bath, so would probably prefer to drive. If I was able to start at 9.30, say, would it make any difference to traffic levels?
Many thanks

GooseyLoosey Wed 13-Mar-13 13:08:24

Think it only takes about 15/20 mins in the morning. You would have to factor in the cost of parking and parking at the station always looks quite tight.

Traffic is quite bad, but imagine by 9.30 it would have died down. Can you try it and see?

HeadingSW Wed 13-Mar-13 13:42:13

Thanks GooseyLoosey. I'm based in Brighton at the mo, so can't do a practice run, but if it's only 20 minutes or so that's not bad at all. I'd be parking in Bishopston, not the station, so that could be Ok. Cheers.

GooseyLoosey Wed 13-Mar-13 14:58:59

That's freaky as only last week, I was considering relocating to Brighton!

cjel Wed 13-Mar-13 15:14:38

Am not in bristol, am on outskirts but I think there is no way you could do Bath to Bishoptson in 20minutes any time of day. But a 9.30 start would def. improve journey time, maybe even by a half.

HeadingSW Wed 13-Mar-13 16:04:32

Ha, GooseyLoosey, there's probably quite a lot of traffic between Brighton and Bristol! Similar kinds of places maybe, attracting similar-ish people!
Thanks for the reply cjel, do you think 40 minutes or so would do it?

lovinglapland Wed 13-Mar-13 17:26:18

I have just looked at google maps - put in Bath to Bishopston, and it is saying 37 mins with no traffic hold ups. It's currently 5.25pm and it is saying it will take 54mins in current traffic. Try it at 9.30am and see what it says then!

cjel Wed 13-Mar-13 17:28:41

I had thought more like 45mins yes, but lovinglapland makes sense!!

It would take bloody ages.

Is there still a train station in Bishopston? It might be better to look into getting the train from Oldfield Park, then on to Bishopston from Temple Meads.

HeadingSW Thu 14-Mar-13 14:16:19

Thanks for the replies and advice everyone. That's a great idea about Googlemaps lovinglapland, I will try this tomorrow morning. Am curious why it takes bloody ages JB, is it just sheer volume of traffic or a terrible road? or bothsad

cjel Thu 14-Mar-13 15:11:33

I think just terrible traffic!!

Traffic, sadly. But it's not insurmountable - plenty of people commute into Briz from Bath. It'll be fine smile

pinksky Thu 28-Mar-13 08:04:36

This is probably too late, but- I've commuted from East Bath to Clifton for 8 years. It can take a long time. I tend to leave early (7ish) to avoid traffic, and it takes me 35 on a good day. Easiest route is A46/M4/M32. I'd recommend this way rather than brislington or the ring road, both are so slow. But if you'd have to drive along the London road then I'd recommend trying Weston then up Lansdown Lane to the M4 and see how it compares.
Traffic does die down by 8.30 (7.15-8.15 is the time to definitely avoid) so I imagine you could leave at 8.30 to arrive at 9.30. Maybe leave the M32 slightly early and go the back route to bishopston. Getting the train to Redland is likely to take as long as driving.

STV1 Thu 24-Apr-14 14:12:35

I am working for a television company about difficult commutes. I am looking for someone in Bristol who has a difficult driving commute. If you can help, please e-mail me at: will.steel@stv.tv

Many thanks,

Will

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now