Local Talk

Do you need a car in Bath?

(6 Posts)
movetobristol Wed 17-Apr-13 10:19:31

Would appreciate advice on this one!

QTPieToo Wed 17-Apr-13 13:06:30

Depends where you live, where you work, what you do in your free time. Technically "no" you do not need a car in Bath, but I would be lost without one (have a small child that I ferry around to preschool and other activities and it is useful shopping).

movetobristol Wed 17-Apr-13 15:23:22

Thanks QTPie - yes that's what I thought We are looking in Larkhall and Landsdown to rent - I think you answered my question about schools - I am seeing KES tomorrow smile

QTPieToo Wed 17-Apr-13 17:50:59

Ah yes.

With kid/s, especially, I think that a car is very helpful: you aren't "at the mercy" of the buses (there are lots of buses, but then you have to follow their routes and timetables). It is also a lot easier with shopping. Larkhall is possibly better for "local shopping". Although we are looking to move to Lansdown (which I like a lot).

Lansdown is where Kingswood and St Stephens are and is a short drive down the hill to KES pre-prep (the junior and senior schools are across the city centre from it though). Larkhall has more amenities and shops and community feel than Larkhall, but a bit further from the above schools (depending on where abouts you would live). Larkhall is closer to Batheaston and Bathford.

However Bath is a very small city (although traffic can sometimes be bad, it is still nowhere near as bad as most cities).

Enjoy visiting KES. To me it feels nice and relaxed. It is definitely worth "shopping around" to see what suits your child - lots to choose from in Bath smile

TeaGinCakeBliss Thu 02-May-13 09:55:38

I live up in Lansdown and we manage with one car. Car only used to leave the city (husband uses daily for work) and do weekly shop (though loads of lovely deliveries) really. We walk and bus around the city, including over to the university for clubs and things. If it's an emergency (like yesterday's dash to the RUH) or it rains we use a cab. It takes time but we love walking around so it is possible but takes effort and planning. Children are largely old enough to deal with the walking mind. My pushchair for the youngest is falling to bits grin

Bar a very short period, I managed until I was well into my 30s without a car of my own, but now I have one I wouldn't be without it. When you're young, free and single you don't need a car in Bath at all.

Ferrying children to the various things they need to be ferried to would be far trickier if not impossible unless you used taxis.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now