Advice on areas

(5 Posts)
beebusy Mon 09-May-16 11:14:06

Apologies if this has already been covered (please redirect me if necessary!).

I'm looking to move to Bath with husband and 8 year old. I'm from Australia and don't know anyone, so would like to in area where it's not too difficult to meet others.

We have a top budget of £450,000-£480,000 and would like a 2/3 bedroom house. Biggest thing is a good size garden that isn't too overlooked (tall order, I know!). Prefer historic or brand new - but not so keen on the builds b/w 1960s and 1990s.

We have looked at a couple of places: Fairfield Park / Larkhall / Weston areas. All look good areas, but I'm clueless on the subtleties of each.

We love good food, pubs and play areas!

We saw one house that was in the Camden area, and another in Fairfield Park area. The latter was nicer, and cheaper. The agent said there's a bias against FP v Camden. Can anyone add to this?!

Any areas we're missing, considering our budget?

Thank you!!!

pinksky Tue 10-May-16 17:42:50

Camden has an issue with parking - it can be really tricky. Houses are more likely to be overlooked. That said some roads are fab - Kensington gardens seems to have a real sense of community (friends live there). Fairfield park is great--we live here currently. Limited choice in older properties and they tend to be a bit overpriced, but your budget is good for a 2/3 bed. We're in a 1950s bay window semi and I love it. Can walk into town or larkhall, good primaries in walking distance, cheaper than Larkhall.
Weston is also a good choice - lots of different housing stock, family friendly, good primary schools. Better local pubs probably! But nowhere in bath is far so you're never a long walk from a good boozer.

The bath mums forum is well worth visiting for more advice (don't want to link to another forum, but easy to google!).

beebusy Wed 11-May-16 06:41:40

Thanks Pinksky!

I too got a good feel for Fairfield Park when we looked at a place there. Lovely views, but garden a bit small on that particular property (for us!).

Stupid question: where are the shops / cafes in Weston? We did see a place there that we like (near Victoria Park), but we've just missed out - it's gone under offer. But I couldn't figure out where the local coffee shop is (even using google maps)! doh. I saw a strip in Chelsea Road - but that's not Weston.

I'm really looking forward to the move! Bath is just so beautiful.

pinksky Wed 11-May-16 15:41:54

Yes big gardens aren't always easy to find. Well, ours is big but steep so we have to be creative with it. Just found out that one of our neighbours' house is about to go on the market but it needs renovation I think...

Chelsea road is where I go with friends who live in Weston. There are shops in Weston village (high st) but no good cafes that I know of.

beebusy Thu 12-May-16 07:29:18

Thanks Pinsky! We don't mind doing work as long it's liveable! I'll keep an eye out for it.
Thanks for clarifying Weston cafes (very important part of life!)
B x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now