Moving to Frome from Surrey

(17 Posts)
Ribenahead Tue 07-Jun-16 11:28:22

I'm making a big leap into the (almost) unknown by moving to Frome from Reigate in Surrey (finding Surrey too conservative) would love to know if anyone else has made a big move like this? I have a 5.5yr and a nearly 2 year old and would love to meet others new to the area. From what I gather (after visiting and reading) Frome is a pretty arty/eco/alternative place to be???? Hope I'm not wrong! Any local villages we should consider living in? Thanks!!

No opportunities for children in Frome, no good school clubs, no jobs. Don't do it. Move to Rode or Beckington (good schools) or move nearer to bath and send children to Bath schools. Much more opportunity in the city and brilliant schools. You'll regret your children growing up there, I did and got out, but it's a dead end town. Sorry to burst your bubble. Prepared to be flamed.

pitball Tue 07-Jun-16 13:43:44

I can only agree with the above poster, I spent 11 yrs living in and around frome and its gone downhill over the last 15. Don't do it you will regret it, you will get a lot more for your money housewife this end of the country so invest it into property somewhere nicer than frome!!

If you want somewhere arty/Eco/alternative your better off in Glastonbury or surrounding villages- butleigh, burtle, shapwick, wedmore are really nice.

Bath is great, lots to do, plenty of culture, great park-Victoria park huge and lots for both young and old with botanical gardens opposite.

If you want any more help feel free to pm me 🙂

pitball Tue 07-Jun-16 13:44:32

*housewise not housewife lol

imgoingmad Tue 07-Jun-16 13:53:46

I disagree, I love living in Frome!
I don't feel it's a dead end town at all. There's a great community feel and a lot going on. Close to the coast and counrtyside as well as the cities of Bath and Bristol.

There's a great choice of things for young children in and around the area. Sports, dance, music, theatre, etc. There's a great choice for all ages.
There's a festival each summer with music and art events, many free.There's an artisan market each first Sunday of the month when the town closes are there is food, crafts, music, etc. I could go on!

Primary schools here are good (there are great village schools too) but you may want to consider looking at schools out of Frome when your children are teens as Frome College is the only choice. It's had a rough few years but maybe when yours are older things may have improved.
Some parents move their children to Writhlington in Radstock or the catholic school in Trowbridge, Saint Augustines. There are private schools too.
Houses are a mixed bag but still very affordable.
Transport links to other towns and cities aren't great but do exist and trains to London are on the increase.

Good pubs and restaurants too and farm shops close by.

We moved here from Lancashire 20+ years ago when we were in our 20's and didn't have children at the time. We've seen it flourish from being a ghost town to one of the best places to live in Britain.

Move here but have a good look around first before you buy a house.

Good luck :-)

Ribenahead Tue 07-Jun-16 14:49:33

Hmm interesting. I'm an artist and when I visited I really liked the vibe and opportunities for artists. Our long term plan is to end up in a Cornish fishing village/town in 10 years or so :-) but currently don't want to be too far from London (grandparents are there) and we will get a hell of a lot more for our money than in Surrey! I don't fit in here as I don't dress up to go to the playground, wear much make up and my son has long hair (we are quite hippy) I'm also excited there's a co-housing group as ultimately that's my dream! We will be renting so can move out to a village when we buy and have reserved a school place for our son at St. Johns. Is it not really that alternative? I'm a big kid at heart and tired of being surrounded by conservative posh grown ups!

Marybeatonseton Tue 07-Jun-16 15:03:52

You'll be looking at the Somerset/Wilts border then, very pretty.
Look online at Bradford-on-Avon, there's a village called Holt which or Warminster (getting on for Longleat). Trowbridge has some practical shops but I don't know about an arty scene.
Yes the villages of Beckington and Rode have nice communities. Nearer to Bath there's Freshford and Limpley Stoke villages that are side by side.
I think that's a bit harsh about Frome, one might equally dismiss Glastonbury as, "That used to be a quaint dreamy hippy place now losing its banks and facilities and seriously infested with quite a nasty druggy element - AVOID".

PS Nearly forgot Bruton, it's the wild card, big arty/crafty stuff going on, but compared to the rest, stuck in the iddle of nowhere.

imgoingmad Tue 07-Jun-16 15:07:39

Remember there's a Steiner school here in Frome now.
There's a real much if people here, many are quite alternative and most people get on despite their differences.

Marybeatonseton Tue 07-Jun-16 15:08:30

Sorry for crap editing - meant to say was in Holt at the weekend, (not to be confused with the Holt in Norfolk) it has a NT property but met some locals who said there's quite a thriving arts community, around the Bradford-on-Avon district.

imgoingmad Tue 07-Jun-16 15:09:17

That should have read "mix of people" blush

Ribenahead Tue 07-Jun-16 15:13:10

hehe thanks! We had lunch on a boat in Bradford-on-Avon and thought it was lovely (food wasn't the best but surroundings made up for it) We are visiting in a few weeks so will have a good explore...

MrsEricBana Tue 07-Jun-16 17:27:46

Don't know about Frome but the arts scene in Bath is great. Larkhall on the outskirts of Bath sounds like it might suit you, with as the school for your ds. Quick into London from Bath (v quick to M4 from Larkhall or train fast and even faster when electrification finished).

MrsEricBana Tue 07-Jun-16 17:36:47

- walkable in to all that Bath has to offer
- thriving community in own right (Alice Park - lovely park, fab playground, cycle track for littlies, community cafe, gatherings, bands etc; New Oriel Hall is heart of the community - )
- Good mix of shops from little supermarket, greengrocers, deli, chemist, wine shop, amazing hardware store, post office etc
- It's arty!
- Lots of housing options inc gorgeous cottages
I'll shut up now!

I second the Bath suggestion, but it is £££s. Frome and even Bradford on Avon are far more affordable.

Ribenahead Tue 07-Jun-16 20:22:12

Where we are now we can afford a 1 bed flat (we happen to be in a dated 60s 2 bed flat at very cheap rent) but if we move for the same price we can get a 3-4 bed house! To me that's almost a no brainer!

fromeah Wed 08-Jun-16 10:00:27

Frome does have a lot going on for a town the size it is, but I would second what people say about the schools and clubs. The first schools are generally OK, but after that it is a problem.

Also, I would try and get your 5 year old into a school in the village you want to move into. Not only will the journey be a giant pain every morning but you'll really miss out on being part of the village community.

Finally, there is a new head at St Johns, who is quite evangelical and some parents have moved their children from the school.

tumbleouttabed Wed 08-Jun-16 13:34:20

We moved from SW London to Bath about 18 months ago. We looked around the area widely - considered living near Trowbridge, Frome, Bradford on Avon, Rode, Beckington, Norton St Philip etc. and looked at houses and schools in all those areas, but ended up on the south side of Bath as it felt like a bit too much of a leap to go from a fairly urban environment to somewhere that felt like it might be in the middle of nowhere. We feel that the decision was right for us as we are right on the edge of Bath (semi rural feel) but walking distance into town and all that Bath (and the station to Bristol/London beyond) has to offer. When visiting Frome it does seem fairly alternative (depending on your starting point, I suppose...). Good luck with your decisions.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now