Can you participate - first time mothers and loneliness?

(1 Post)
newdocket Thu 09-Jun-16 09:54:18

I am a Health Psychology Masters student at Bath University undertaking my research project and dissertation. I’m also a mother to three primary school-aged children and have been a member of Mumsnet for 12 years.

A recent survey has found that 28% of first time mothers experience loneliness. The aim of this study is to explore and understand the experiences of loneliness in first time mothers. I’m looking for first time mothers of babies between two and nine months to participate in the study. Participants need to live in the Bath area and have experienced feelings of loneliness since becoming a mother. Although loneliness and depression are sometimes associated, this study’s focus is on loneliness. This, coupled with my status as a student, means that I would not be able to recruit anyone with a medical diagnosis of post-natal depression.

Taking part in the study would involve a one-to-one interview with the project researcher to discuss your views and experiences of loneliness. The interview is expected to last around 45 minutes. This could take place at a location of your choice – your home, a public place such as a café or at the University of Bath. It would be absolutely fine to have your child with you at the interview.
The study has received ethical approval from the University of Bath and is in accordance with the British Psychological Society’s ethical guidelines. Your contribution would help to bring to life new mothers’ experiences of loneliness and could potentially inform future interventions to help new mothers who find themselves dealing with feelings of loneliness.
If you identify with the above and would like to take part in the study please contact me – Katharine – at

Thank you

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now