Local Talk

Hospital choices - advice please!

(18 Posts)

Hello!

I am moving to Beds in 2 weeks and am 22 weeks pregnant. I think my choices for the birth are Milton Keynes General or the Luton & Dunstable MLU.

Needless to say I have no experience of either of these and would really appreciate any feedback offered!

Thanks in advance

x

I know MK had a terrible reputation last year, lots of mums were apparently coming over to Bedford from there. So on that basis I'd go for L&D!
HTH

Oh and good luck with the move!

lauzjp Sat 08-Jan-11 08:31:41

If I had a choice of only those 2 hospitals I would pick the L&D, but I had a horrible experience there last year, so would urge you to look around if you have access to a car. Use the NHS choices website to read reviews, ask on other sites too.

I haven't yet summoned the strength to write about it all.. one day..

Thanks both!
captaincalamari I'd heard the same about MK which is why I looked at L&D. I just don't know anyone who has been there and the NHS website can be slightly biased. I think people tend to go on there to say they've had a really bad experience or a really good one and there's not much in between!

lauzjp sorry to hear of your bad experience. I do have a car so I guess I could look further afield. Where would you suggest?

MumInBeds Mon 10-Jan-11 09:15:39

I've had 5 good births with the L&D (4 in, 1 at home) and couldn't fault them for my care but the more recent one for me was 3 years ago and that was the homebirth so a while ago.

www.drfosterhealth.co.uk/birth-guide/ is a good starting place to compare but I'd recommend seeing if you can have a tour of both.

That's a brilliant website, thanks. Just what I have been looking for!

Incidentally, did the L&D have the midwife led unit when you gave birth? It doesn't seem to say they have one on this website but I'm sure they do!

If you can travel Bedford hospital has a lovely midwife led unit (which I didn't get to use sad) and I found the antenatal and delivery care great (postnatal not so much but hopefully you wouldn't be in for as long as I was!)

oh fab that's really helpful, thank you! grin

Quenelle Fri 14-Jan-11 16:37:59

My friend used MK last year and couldn't speak highly enough of it. She said they seemed to be working extra hard because of all the bad press. She had had her first at Bedford, whilst she had no complaints she said her experience at MK was better.

I had my DS at Bedford and it was brilliant. The antenatal care was really good too. My sister is a MW in the delivery suite there, and she's brilliant too smile. But she does say that the problem with understaffing at MK is the same at Bedford and most other hospitals. Just MK had all the bad publicity.

All best wishes for your baby and the move.

Thanks Quenelle I love the look of the MLU at Bedford - my only concern is that there are only two rooms, so I guess if they are full you just go into the main hospital. In which case I might as well have gone to MK... but of course I wont't know that until I go into labour grin

Its really positive to hear good feedback about MK. I have a booking in appt with a midwife on Tuesday who is linked to MK, so I'll see what she says and take it from there I think.

Thanks again x

Gracie123 Sat 15-Jan-11 15:42:24

Not sure whereabouts you are, but I'd have driven halfway around the world to go to Bedford hospital! It's brilliant, I had a section there after a traumatic birth elsewhere 1st time round. It was a completely different experience and I would thoroughly recommend it.

Gracie123 Sat 15-Jan-11 15:44:12

P.s due to cOmplications I was in and out of the hospital (not mlu) and they were still fab. Can't praise them enough.

I'm moving to Aspley Guise which is about 12 miles away... that's really good feedback, thanks. I think I'm going to have to arrange tours and decide from there.

If nothing else the fact that people have posted good thngs about all my options has given me confidence!

Thanks again x

TwistAndShout Wed 19-Jan-11 21:32:28

I have had 3 Csections at the L + D and have been very happy with the care I received.

JimmyChoo17 Fri 11-Feb-11 00:40:48

Good thread

Heard equal amounts of good and bad reports at l&d but it's local and easy to get to in a rush!

mumtobe2011 Thu 05-May-11 21:02:32

You will probably be seeing the same midwife as me if you are moving to Aspley Guise.

Milton Keynes has had terrible a terrible reputation but has come out of special measures and is now offering 1 to 1 care which is currently being considered to become a nationwide policy.

I have been told that I can arrange a viewing of both hospitals before I finally make up my mind.

I went to MK for my first scan and will be going back in June for my second, although the waiting area wasn't the best the rooms where nice and the radiographers where lovely. I took my husband over the the main hospital to show him it was ok and he seemed to think it was good enough.

The main concern I have with Bedford is that it is a distance away.

I don't know anything about the L and D although I don't think I was given that as an option.

It would be worth a visit to both if you are new to the area.

Hope this helps

Thanks mtb2011 I am due in 2 days so have made my mind up and decided to go to MK. My midwife seems really happy with that hospital and I trust her judgement because she is lovely! We went for a tour and I thought it was as good as a hospital is going to get really! They are never going to be deluxe are they...! Just hoping that the one birthing pool is available when I go in!!

Good luck with your pregnancy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now