Local Talk

Any older mums out there?

(44 Posts)
iloveitalia Sun 17-Feb-13 18:19:01

Hi there. I had my much longed for and lovely wee daughter last August after IVF. I' d love to meet any mums of babies who were conceived the same way. It'd be nice to chat. Be nice to meet ANY older mums, in fact. When I go to mums and tots, I feel like a granny!!!

Tee2072a Sun 17-Feb-13 19:19:43

I'm 44 and my son is 3.9. grin

He would have been IVF (maybe) but just as we were starting fertility, I caught!

This is why I never went to mums and tots. grin

iloveitalia Sun 17-Feb-13 19:43:01

Waow Tee, that' s brilliant. I can imagine that you and your partner must' ve been so delighted to find out you were pregnant at that stage.( Would insert a smiley but haven' t quite mastered it yet!).
You must have been a similar age to me, as I had dd when I was 41. It' d be great if a few other old bags joined this thread!

Tee2072a Sun 17-Feb-13 19:58:16

I don't know about locally, but there's at least two groups of 40+ mums on the general boards, if you're willing to wander that way?

This is the one I mainly post on.

I started with them when I was pregnant, we all were, and now we've all got kids starting school or older!

Also happy to chat here, of course. grin

There's instructions, BTW, below the posting box on how to do grins.

iloveitalia Sun 17-Feb-13 21:52:32

Thanks Tee. Will check those boards out. smile.

Tee2072a Mon 18-Feb-13 13:38:05

We can still chat here! I live in S Belfast and freelance graphic arts/online media.

How about you?

grin

Which won't work because they appear to be broken...

iloveitalia Tue 19-Feb-13 12:51:41

I teach languages, which I love, and live too temptingly near Forestside. Your wee boy must be starting P1 in September, then?
Really enjoying the gorgeous weather today....if only it would last! Hope you get to enjoy some of it too smile.

Tee2072a Tue 19-Feb-13 14:30:59

He sure is. Don't know where yet, 6 more weeks to wait. ::bites nails::

We were at Ulster Museum this morning, since it's half term until tomorrow, and now we are lying around like lumps watching Cartoonito and trying to work up the energy to tidy. grin

iloveitalia Tue 19-Feb-13 19:11:49

Sure, you deserved some lumping around if you were walking around the museum all morning! We started baby swimming lessons this afternoon, came home, and the pair of us promptly fell asleep on the sofa...it was lovely, actually smile.

Didn't realise the Primary School thing was so stressful. Had naively thought that children
automatically got into their nearest one.

Tee2072a Tue 19-Feb-13 20:23:47

Nope. It's an application process, as is preschool. Technically, it's doubtful he won't get into the one his preschool is attached to. In reality, anything is possible.

Tee2072a Wed 20-Feb-13 21:09:01

I just saw you're other thread on the main boards, I hope you are doing better. smile

Tee2072a Wed 20-Feb-13 21:09:22

"Your other thread..."

Proofread, Tee, proofread...

iloveitalia Wed 20-Feb-13 22:01:09

Och Tee, thanks. I can' t believe how lovely everyone has been....just fantastic, appreciate it so much. Dh taking baby tonight, so am looking forward to a night's sleep.

Hope you and ds had a nice day yesterday all in all, if it was the last day of his half-term break.

Tee2072a Thu 21-Feb-13 11:08:57

I hope you had a good sleep!

We are the loveliest nest of vipers you'll ever find. grin

iloveitalia Thu 21-Feb-13 18:54:51

Had a LOVELY sleep, thanks Tee. Can' t believe some mothers of six month old babies get that every night. Lucky things!!!
Doesn' t seem to be too many takers for this post, does there? Do you think maybe mumsnet isn' t such a big thing in NI?Pity.

Tee2072a Thu 21-Feb-13 20:14:26

About 3 years ago we had a good group that got together for awhile and chatted on the boards.

Then it sort of went poof.

There are actually a few NI people on the main boards but they don't seem to come to our local! As the Local Editor, I'm open for ideas to lure them in!

Make sure you get more nights like that soon!

iloveitalia Sun 24-Feb-13 20:35:05

Hi Tee. How are you keeping? Hope you have had a nice weekend. I was out last night for a meal to celebrate a friend's birthday. Went to Bengal Brasserie for lovely Indian meal. Don' t know if you' ve ever been/ even like indiansmile, but I thoroughly recommend it. Great food and service.

Wish I did have some ideas on how to get more posters on the local boards. Will see if any of my friends are interested, even.

Anything exciting happening with you this week?

Tee2072a Mon 25-Feb-13 08:04:04

Sounds like a fun night! I don't think I've ever been to that one, I love Indian!

Well any plans I might have had were scuppered by A Small Boy™ waking up this morning with a 102.5F fever (I'm American, I can't do body temp in C!) and covered in vomit. I am currently working through the guilt of not having heard him vomit in the middle of the night!

It would be great if you could get some friends to post. It is a bit sad. grin

iloveitalia Mon 25-Feb-13 12:00:35

Ahhh....poor wee man. That' s a high temperature! Hope he' s a bit more settled now, and that you' re ok too?

I'm new to this motherhood game, as you know, but feelings of guilt just seem to go hand in hand with it at times.

Tee2072a Mon 25-Feb-13 12:20:13

Temp is even higher now, more Calpol and tucked into bed for a nap.

I'm okay. Just worried about him. If the fever isn't down when he wakes up I'll ring the GP.

iloveitalia Mon 25-Feb-13 23:02:53

Hi Tee. Hope your son is ok, and on the mend.

Tee2072a Tue 26-Feb-13 11:12:58

He's better this morning, thanks! Still feverish but much lower. Husband called him in ill to school this morning and was told 'well, that's 15!' So something going around.

How are you?

iloveitalia Tue 26-Feb-13 13:00:51

Brilliant!I'm sure you' re very relieved. There' s definately something going round. My mum was sick with a d& v bug last week too.

I'm well, thanks. Busy day today. Just back from baby yoga, squeezing in a quick feed, then swimming lesson. Am praying that this might lead to some sleep, but I wouldn't bet on it!!!

How old was your son when he started to sleep through the night? And did he nap during the day? My wee monster daughter doesn't.

Tee2072a Tue 26-Feb-13 13:06:24

Are you sure you want the answer to that question?

He began reliably sleeping through the night at...2.5 years. No joke. This is why I co-slept for about 1.5 years and sat with him until he fell asleep for about a year.

He also almost never napped during the day until about the same age, although sometimes I could get him to fall asleep in his pram and stay asleep even once home.

Sleep has been a nightmare with him, but now that he's 3.9 he usually sleeps from about 715 to at least 6, usually 7 or later and naps willingly on the weekends. He won't after preschool, though, unless he's really really tired.

He's actually asleep right now, went down at 1130 and I can hear him still snoring away!

iloveitalia Wed 27-Feb-13 19:18:54

Well Tee, how is your wee son today? Hope he' s a lot better. I' m sure it' s been exhausting!

Can' t believe what you wrote about the sleeping. Not fair, is it? I' m thinking of moving dd into her own room soon, as several people have suggested that it might help. We will see......

That' s interesting you' re American. Can' t imagine how it must feel moving here from the States. Have you been here for long? Do you like it? ( won' t be offended if you say no smile.)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now