Local Talk

Newly pregnant, which hospital??

(11 Posts)
emabee Wed 13-Jun-12 20:32:34

Hi everyone, I've just been to my GP to tell him I'm pregnant and he asked me which hospital I want to go to. I haven't got a clue! This is my first baby. I'm in Bexleyheath so my choices are Darenth, Queen Elizabeth or the Pru. Can anyone help me with recommendations please? My hubby seems to think QE's is best as it's nearest. I like the idea of the birthing centre at the Pru but don't want to rule out having an epidural as this is my first baby.

Please help!! xx

peaz Wed 13-Jun-12 20:38:37

I had my second at DV (first was at Queen Mary, which I wouldn't have recommended but they've shut down anyway!).

Pre-natal and post natal care was excellent. I had a lovely midwife (Claire) and she did acupuncture on me as I had terrible sciatica. So that's something to consider if you have SPD, heartburn etc.

Labour- well, I can't really give you any advice on that because my son was born within 3 minutes of going through the entrance doors (at 5.33am, so luckily no one was around)! But the midwives (when they appeared, just as my mum was putting my baby in my arms) were fab after that!

Congratulations!

Congrats on your pg!

I gave birth at QE in Dec (after planning a homebirth), they were fantastic (baby had developed ectopic heartbeat at 38wks so had to have hospital birth not birth centre), I didn't come across a midwife/doctor who was rude or I didn't like. For a busy hospital everyone seemed to know what they were doing & I didn't have to wait too long for epidural/doctor etc.
The only downside is other things like ultrasound/certain midwife appointments are at Queen Marys in Sidcup so you sometimes end up wondering where the heck you should be!

I was considering Pru, but was put off by the idea of getting to it in rush hour traffic. I live near Danson Park & getting to QE in rush hour was bad enough!

I have a friend who is due to give birth next month at Darenth so I'll let you know how that goes.

Feel free to ask me anything about QE.

emabee Wed 13-Jun-12 20:43:47

Fab thank you girls. I'm near Danson too so the Pru might be a bit far I guess. Do the other two have information on their websites? If I were to go to DV, would all of my midwife appointments be there? i.e. is it only if you go to QE's that you have check up's in Sidcup? I work in Sidcup so might not be a bad idea?? Think I would rather have everything in one place though! Soooo confusing!

I'm only 4.5 weeks pregnant so didn't think I would have to choose this early! x

emabee Wed 13-Jun-12 20:47:19

Oh the other thing I should mention is that I've had IVF and it's highly likely that I've got twins, if this makes any difference? i.e. special care after birth if needed? x

If there is a chance of needing any sort of special care they will advise you not to give birth at PRU/a birthing centre.

I think the only reason they need you to decide so early is because all 3 hospitals are under different areas (forget the official name for it) so you'd be seeing a different team of mw's.

Even bigger congratulations on having successful IVF! grin

emabee Wed 13-Jun-12 21:02:48

Thank you so much! xx

peaz Thu 14-Jun-12 15:02:27

Wow, congratulations too for the IVF!

My midwife appointments were done in Bexley Village (I live in Bexleyheath near the park too!), though I did have to go to one in Sidcup- I think it was at Hurst, so not too far. Obviously my scans and booking in appt was done at DV.

Kazzie1965 Wed 20-Jun-12 16:57:08

I live in Bexleyheath and I chose to have my second child in Lewisham Hospital. When I told my GP where I wanted to go it was not a problem at all. I refused QE and DV, had my first son at QMH and hated the experience, so after lots of research went to Lewisham. Now I ONLY use Lewisham Hospital, even for A&E, they are brilliant!!!! Wouldn't go anywhere else.

Sleepingbunnies123 Mon 03-Dec-12 22:11:58

Having been to Queen Elizabeth and Darenth it would be Darenth every time for me. QE was horrendous sad

Mettee Sun 09-Dec-12 13:57:03

I had my baby at QE. And it was horrible. The midwives did not look after me at all, and everyone was to busy for aftercare. Was pretty much left by myself. Luckely my husband was there! I have only heard good things about PRU.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now