Local Talk

moving to birmingham in september

(31 Posts)
Becktoria Sun 08-May-11 09:05:54

Hello! I'm moving to (somewhere) in Birmingham in september with my DH and my 19 month old daughter. My DH will be at the University.
I'm from Bristol originally and don't really know birmingham. where's good to move to for kids? Was thinking south birmingham... Kings Heath...? but I really have no idea! I'd love some tips of places to check out/avoid.
Looking forward to meeting some of you when we get settled. smile

cremeeggsbenedict Sun 08-May-11 10:12:25

I lived in Kings Heath for a couple of years in the mid Noughties and it was lovely! Easy to get into the city on the number 50, a short walk to Cannon Hill Park (and about 30 minutes walk from Edgbaston Cricket Ground if you're interested in a day at the cricket) and generally quite pleasant. There were lots of young families around too. It's also not far from Moseley where there are some lovely bars, restaurants, shops etc.

I also lived for a while in Acocks Green (after I split up with the ex and couldn't afford KH anymore) and it's not so nice. It's easier to get into the city as it's on the trains but the High Street wasn't so nice, although it may have gentrified due to its proximity to Solihull/Shirley which are two lovely areas worth checking out!

HTH.

Becktoria Sun 08-May-11 12:55:54

that's great thanks! I was thinking of Moseley too. I heard South Moseley is better? I live in Berlin at the moment, and although I have no social life anymore I still like the idea of having bars and restaurants nearby, like I have now smile
He'd be working in Selly Oak, but is that just full of students?!
the cost of rented housing changes so much depending on where you look.... so confusing!
thanks again.

Kings heath and Moseley are both nice, but make sure that you visit and check out areas first, as there can be a great difference within a few streets.

I live just out of Birmingham, below Kings Heath. Selly Oak is very studenty, and while Bournville is beautiful, it is expensive.

gkys Sun 08-May-11 13:43:38

hey I'm from Acocks Green, wink its ok, depends on what you want and which roads, kings heath is quiet nice ditto hall green, shirley good too, it depends what university and how your going to get there. good luck with the move

C4ro Sun 08-May-11 13:59:58

I used to be in North Brum- Erdington but that's unhelpful for the Uni. Smelly Poke is indeed where all the students are and Edgebaston and Harbourne are nice but more pricey. Agree with Pfft that you really need to see an area as it changes quite fast from one area to another.

PenelopePitstops Sun 08-May-11 14:11:34

Avoid Selly Oak - student central!
depends on your budget and which uni he will be at, you could head further out of brum, to the east, coleshill, water orton way as houses round there are quite nice and good pubs.
If you are living nearer the city then you need to see a place, avoid nechelles and anywhere near star city complex!

mummytime Sun 08-May-11 15:53:47

If he's at Birmingham University I would try to afford Bournville or Harbourne. Or look at places outside Brum with easy commuting, don't forget the Uni has its own station.

Coleshill and Water Orton (also Wythall on the south) are all lovely but you are looking at £180,000 or more for a 3 bed. Can be an arse getting in from the east as well, the train is not that cheap and the roads are busy.

Agree with avoiding Nechells! grin

Also, something to be aware about is public transport.

Once you move out of the Birmingham area (as you would in Coleshill (North Warwickshire) or Wythall/Hollywood (Worcestershire)) you don't get WMTravel buses. These areas seem like they would have great transport links, being so close to Birmingham, but actually they are crap. The buses are run by companies like Red Diamond, and they are infrequent and very expensive.

Something to think about if you rely on public transport. Of course, nothing like this is an issue if you stick within the Brum limits - the buses are plentiful.

ColonelBrandonsBiggestGroupie Sun 08-May-11 17:04:00

If you can afford it, Bournville or Harborne. Kings Heath otherwise. All near to the uni.

PenelopePitstops Sun 08-May-11 18:51:23

very true pffft about the bus thing!

Coleshill has a train station now which means better links!

Becktoria Sun 08-May-11 19:15:43

thanks so much everyone.
We'll be renting (not buying) and I think our budget would be ok for KH and maybe even Bournville. I'll check out Harbourne too. He'll be at the Uni of Brum (selly oak)
Hopefully we'll get a car so hopefully public transport won't be too much of an issue. Nice to know about it though just in case.
Sounds similar to Bristol, where an area can change from street to street.
thanks so much for the tips! keep them coming and hopefully I'll meet some of you when we're there.
smile

Trebuchet Sun 15-May-11 19:44:51

Barnt Green and Alvechurch are lovely Villages on the right train line to Uni, very green, trains to brum and Worcs, plenty of parks and play groups for the kids with a real community feel. I recommend!

lpa Mon 23-May-11 16:45:27

I live in Selly Oak and its not studenty here! The part near the Uni is exactly as mentioned in earlier posts, we're on the Bournville Village Trust which is Bournville and a bit of Selly Oak, a 4 bed is around £500k.
Harborne and Edgbaston are posh Birmingham and expensive. (avoid north of Hagley Road Edgbaston-red light area)
Kings Heath, in my 8 years of living here is not hugely upmarket but very nice and a 4 bed is around 350k, there are lots of people with young children in the nicer parts - I know 4 families who are very happy living there. Lots of stuff to do - Cocks Moors, nice high street, nice parks.
Sorry dont know about renting, where we live I think its 750 for a 3 bed.

confuddledDOTcom Mon 23-May-11 18:14:51

I disagree lpa. There are two parts of Edgbaston, as Sure Start put it they cover two areas "Edgbaston" and "EdgbaRston" some parts are mega posh, million pound houses but some of it is a dive with bits in between. The red light district of Rotten Park/ Edgbaston was tidied up years ago.

I've lived in Edgbaston for 6 years and I'm not at all rich, actually I live on disability money and rent a rather nice three bed house - about £100 a week. I grew up in East Birmingham and now wouldn't move far from here.

KingsHeathen Mon 23-May-11 23:39:11

No guessing where I live smile ... it can be mixed, but mostly a nice vibrant, safe place to bring up your family. The High Street is pretty scruffy (loads of charity shops, though some are closing down now, and we're getting betting shops and a pawn shop instead hmm) but don't be put-off, and the streets off it have nice independent shops on them, some decent independent cafes too. Great parks/open spaces- loads within walking distance. Easy access to supermarkets, library, medical services, lots of childrens activities etc. The Children's Hospital in the city centre is fantastic and has a paed specific A&E too (v handy if you have foolhardy children like mine!).

Some schools are better than others, and the really good ones have small catchments- house prices are very very skewed by this, and this will be a major consideration in your DD's cohort, as there are around 1000 places short in Bham this year, and baby boom is continuing... lots of schools are having to take bulge classes.

If you'll only have 1 car, and he has to be at the university each day, KH is great for getting around (No 11 bus takes you lots of places, 50 into city centre are v frequent). That said, there's no trains here (boo hiss!)

If he is going to drive each day though, the commute from KH is utterly hellish to Edgbaston; there is nowhere to park at university, so actually you would be better off somewhere closer- Bournville is great (trainline, one stop to university, only a few more to city centre), Harborne, Edgbaston, Selly Park better (walkable) but pricier. Moseley is very variable IMO- stick to South of Woodbridge Rd (apols to anyone N of there!), but again his commute won't be great, though just 1 bus (No. 1, and a long walk). We go from KH to Edgbaston each day (v close to university actually) and if we leave before 8am, it's okay... usually a 30 minute journey (3.5 miles). If we leave 8am onwards it takes 50 minutes or so, it has on occasion taken an hour and 20 minutes- traffic is horrific on that route- some real bottlenecks, get fouled up very easily, lots of accidents at rush hour, that sort of thing.

Any questions- please ask! There are quite a few academics living close by me, and oddly enough I know 2 mixed German/English families, both of whom have 1 parent who is an academic and have small children... (your other thread). A lot of people in KH have been priced out of Moseley, so parts of it are getting lentil weavery, there's a farmers market monthly, some new-ageish shops, but not many etc. Depends what your bag is really smile

muchthesame Tue 24-May-11 16:39:28

Have you considered an apartment? There are heaps of new builds in Jewellery Quarter, good commute to the uni. Not sure about the little one without a garden though

tiredemma Tue 24-May-11 16:44:24

I live in North Bham (four oaks). Excellent school, parks- lots to do over here- Train direct to university station.

If I had to move south it would be to Harbourne.

(But I love the North!!)

Bearwood is lovely (North Birmingham but very central), very family oriented, quiet and a zillion times cheaper than Harborne. Getting to the University would be about the same as Kings Heath, I'd say you'll get more for your money with the housing.

Becktoria Thu 26-May-11 20:17:18

wow, thanks everyone!! all great info. DH went up to B'ham today to check out the uni and meet his colleagues but didn't get a chance to see any areas. I'm still thinking KH and harborne (we should be ok for money to rent in either area... hopefully anyway).
I think he'll cycle to work. We barely use a car in Berlin and he's used to cycling everywhere so hopefully a commute won't be an issue.
thanks so much for all the info. We'll go over for a couple of days in July to check out some places so will let you know what we come up with.
thanks again
Bex

Becktoria Thu 26-May-11 20:18:39

wow, thanks everyone!! all great info. DH went up to B'ham today to check out the uni and meet his colleagues but didn't get a chance to see any areas. I'm still thinking KH and harborne (we should be ok for money to rent in either area... hopefully anyway).
I think he'll cycle to work. We barely use a car in Berlin and he's used to cycling everywhere so hopefully a commute won't be an issue.
thanks so much for all the info. We'll go over for a couple of days in July to check out some places so will let you know what we come up with.
thanks again
Bex

Becktoria Thu 26-May-11 20:18:55

thanks again
Bex

Becktoria Thu 26-May-11 20:25:24

so excited, I had to post it 3 times.... duh. smile

Yay, if you fall in love with Harborne but the prices make you balk do try Bearwood, it is just the other side of the Hagley Road. Good luck!

costumequeen Sun 19-Jun-11 20:33:52

Hey! I tutor at the Uni and live in Kings Heath - renting at the moment but just bought in Stirchley (Slightly priced out of buying in KH) Looks like you've got loads of advice already, but feel free to drop me a message if I can help!

bitsyandbetty Fri 08-Jul-11 23:40:09

I live in Wythall and the buses are not great but easy cycle ride to the uni. I cycle in to Edgbaston and it takes about 45 mins, I am slow. The schools are good with Shirley on the doorstep with access to great schools in Solihull.

Spacehoppa Tue 12-Jul-11 13:43:40

We live in Northfield which is ok and really cheap if you are on a budget. My husband is from Weston Super Mare so where you from in Bristol ( he knows it well)?

Becktoria Sat 16-Jul-11 06:26:01

thanks everyone! After 1 and a half days of a whirlwind in birmingham and 8 houses to see we chose one in kings heath.
I preferred the vibe in kings heath and could see myself there, it felt the closest to where we live now.
Really looking forward to settling there and meeting some of you perhaps smile

PfftTheMagicDragonhideGloves Sun 17-Jul-11 06:49:19

Good luck, Beck smile

I honestly cant think of anywhere i would rather live than Harborne i lived there for a year its such a lovely village X

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now