Local Talk

Anyone know about King's Heath? Is it a good place to move to with young kids?

(7 Posts)
TamsinG Sat 03-Dec-11 22:05:18

As in the title...I'd be particularly interested to hear about good primaries in the area - but anything you can tell me about it would be great. DH has got a job in Brum and we don't really have a clue where to go - but King's Heath seems ok and not too pricey ...

cat64 Sat 03-Dec-11 22:11:02

Message withdrawn

cat64 Sat 03-Dec-11 22:11:19

Message withdrawn

The High Street is a bit grim but there are a couple of side streets that are lovely (each with an organic cafe etc) and plenty of nice Victorian terraces. Primary schools not a concern afaik but secondary schools may be, although there are excellent grammars if you are that way inclined. Look at Selly Park as well. Lots of young families in the terraces there. Or if you are a bit richer, Harborne or Bournville both v nice.

Spoutlet Wed 07-Dec-11 10:19:38

Hi TamsinG,

I'm not sure about schools in Kings Heath. Apologies for being nosey, but what is your budget? Worth considering other areas, too:

Cotteridge/Bournville - specifically the roads around Cotteridge Park (Midland Rd., Ashmore Rd, Franklin Rd, Beaumont Rd, Mary Vale Rd) - lots of families, a beautiful park which runs lots of family oriented activities - local shops - close to train stations - very good schools. Also, there's BVT (Bournville Village Trust) you pay a premium to live within BVT, but is lovely and has a "villagey" feel.

Harborne - can be pricey and isn't on a train line - lots of good shops (Waitrose), pubs, restaurants, cafes - lots of families - nice parks.

Let us know if we can be of more help - the Birmingham board's very quiet, but evidently people do check in!

cat64 Wed 07-Dec-11 13:17:58

Message withdrawn

I think Kings Heath is an excelent place to live with a young family. Admittedly for me it had the added advantage that when I decided to move with a young family choosing the area was moving back to where I grew up so I already knew the area verry well, I agree that the other areas suggested by Spoutlet are worth a look as well as Moseley.

There are some good primary schools and I don't think secondary schools are a cause for concern either. There is a Gramar school and although a short bus trip may be required there are good comprehensives that take children from the area.
There are lovely parks around which run activities for children in the hollidays.
I manage to get all my food shopping done on the highstreet, handy since I can't drive.
Parking can be a problem if you live close to the high st as many of the old terraces, lovely as they, are have no room for a drive and the roads fill up with shoppers.
There are several play groups if you have preschoolers
The local swimming pool is not the best ever but they have lessons available every day, and I find it as good as any council pool.
The library has quite a lot of activities on for children, both regular preschool sessions and school holiday things.

I hope that is some help.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now