Local Talk

Would love your thoughts - Personal Family Cooking tutor

(5 Posts)
helenb1983 Sun 17-Aug-14 14:25:24

Hi All,

What does everyone think? I've recently been teaching my Sister and my Brother to cook frugal, healthy meals in next to no time, I'm thinking of running personal courses at people's homes - any thoughts would be appreciated smile

thanks

H

BackforGood Sun 17-Aug-14 21:34:53

My gut feeling is that if someone needs to be taught to cook frugal meals, then it's not very likely they would be able to pay someone to come in and tutor them 1:1.
I'd have thought you'd be better offering your services / marketing your business at Children's Centres or Community Groups.

Brummymum Sun 17-Aug-14 21:41:28

I agree, I can't see people willing to pay for this at home, especially when there is so much free info available online.

I do think community centres, schools, playgroups would use the service though. It sounds like the kinds of sessions my local Surestart centre used to run. It sounds like a great idea.

BillyBollyBrum Wed 20-Aug-14 13:09:12

Barnardo's were looking for a cook for one of their groups recently. Might be worth contacting them? It is a volunteer position though

MNBirminghamLocalEd Thu 21-Aug-14 20:38:22

It's a great idea, but I agree with the others. It is very hard to make profits in the food industry. I did a bit of catering a few years ago, after training as a chef, and never made very much.

Once you've paid for the ingredients plus environmental health diploma (and maybe even public liability insurance), and then added in your time, the classes might not be very affordable.

There are some great suggestions above though, which might mean you can use your skills without shouldering all the costs.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now