Moving from London to Birmingham. Originally from Derby.

(4 Posts)
lisa2104 Thu 03-Mar-16 17:02:52

Hi we are moving to Birmingham in a few months. DD is 3. We moved from Derby to London four years ago and we love the lifestyle and plenty of things to do but we just can't justify the expensive rent anymore. DH got a new job in the centre. Can you suggest some nice areas to live please. Rent budget is about £650 a month and we'd like 3 beds. Would also like to be near a nice park if possible and have a few things to do. Thanks.

MNBirminghamLocalEd Sat 05-Mar-16 18:34:22

Hi Lisa2104, and welcome to Birmingham! Happily there are lots of parks in Birmingham and it's a brilliant place to bring kids up - a lot of the culture, museums etc you can get in London, great schools and without the crazy prices of the capital.

Will your husband be commuting to the city via train? If so that would rule out Harborne and some other areas. You might want to start by looking at Sutton Coldfield in the north, and Kings Norton/Stirchley/Cotteridge in the south. What age/gender are your children, so we can help with schools?

Our Childcare/Education section above has helpful stats on all Birmingham's schools and links to recent Ofsted reports.

lisa2104 Tue 22-Mar-16 20:38:55

Hi sorry for late reply. Thanks so much for your post it has been very helpful. Are there quite a few local mums groups about? My husband will be commuting in by train I think because he feels the drive in will be a nightmare. My daughter is 3 so she will be starting school next year.

musicbusbrum Wed 15-Jun-16 16:02:13

Hi lisa2104, I run a Music Bus class in Edgbaston Community Centre every Thursday 9:30am-10:30am which has a lovely group of mums come along. It's an hour of fun filled music and play, followed by social time and refreshments. If you'd like to come along just drop me an email at and I can offer you a free session for you to come along and see what we are all about smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now