Local Talk

Moving to Poole area

(17 Posts)
FoxyArchie Tue 06-Sep-11 10:51:42

Hello, i know there's a few threads on this but I just wanted to start a more up-to-date one, my hubby and I are are considering moving from SE London to the Poole area and I just wanted to get some feedback re areas and schools. We have a 10 months old girl so schools are really important to us as is moving to a family friendly area that's close enough to the sea. We're looking at Lower Parkstone, but I'm hearing mixed reviews about the schools in the area, also is there a good family community? There seems to be quite a few familes moving out?! can ayone tell me a bit more please? Should we be looking more towards Wimborne for better first, middle and sec schools and family/community life? Im so confused and going crazy looking at rightmove.com!!

joplus3 Thu 08-Sep-11 21:44:20

Just moved down to area with three children, 1 at primary, 2 at secondary, moved to bransgore, new forest and near to sea, lovely family friendly village, bransgore primary is excellent and boys at Ringwood secondary also excellent.

Early days for us but so far very happy with choice, happy hunting!

ck74 Sat 10-Sep-11 22:32:01

We have just moved to the Ferndown area with a 2.5yr old and a 5month old. There are a couple of good schools around here which we had been given good reviews on Parley First and Hampreston schools. Only been down here a week but getting into the swing of it having moved from Twickenham...finally unpacked all the boxes. Don't know anyone down here so am hoping to make some new friends soon.

samanfi76 Sat 17-Sep-11 16:27:31

Hi there foxyarchie
We're moving down in November from East Sussex - I also have a 10month old little girl and we're looking to move to Upton in Poole as the infant and junior schools are both good (with some outstanding points) and are feeder schools for Lychett Minster School which is an Outstanding secondary level school! Seems to be a fairly nice area - weren't in love with Parkstone ourselves but dont' think anywhere down there is that bad is it. Let me know how it goes and maybe we can meet up at a later date and get lost in the area looking for coffee!?! Good Luck with it all.

WynkenBlynkenandNod Sat 17-Sep-11 16:52:12

Personally I'd move out a little bit so you don't get stuck with so much traffic in the summer.

The thing is with schools is they do change s fair bit over the years so you have to take into consideration that what is good now for secondary might not be by the time your DD will be going. So take secondary/upper schools into consideration but concentrate on primary/first schools.

As it stands at the moment for secondary, Lytchett is fantastic, Corfe Hills very good, QE in Wimborne good but suffering disruption from the building work and Ferndown Upper in the up.

CK74, go and have a look at the Barn Nursery in Stapehill, they don't advertise so you don't know about it unless someone tells you . Parley First is about to get even better as is getting a totally fabulous new Head, can't begin to praise him enough. Hampreston children often get into St Michael's Middle and then into QE which had had a much better reputation than Ferndown Upper so will have been more popular than Parley, Ferndown Middle/Upper route. But I am pretty certain Ferndown pyramid will be as/more popular than Wimborne one in a few years. And I am the person who screeched at DD two years ago that she wasn't going to Ferndown upper when she mentioned it, I've done a huge U turn as want her there and will be sweating on getting her in.

Wimborne/Colehill very good for family life. Also look at Broadstone First, Middle and Corfe Hills. New Head at Baden Powell this term so case of watch this space on that one.

tattywisher Fri 23-Sep-11 19:01:20

Hi Live in Canford Heath in Poole and my daughter who is 5 has started last year at Ad Astra First School and its such a friendly school and staff are helpfull to have no faults. My second child who will start there in Reception next September.

Appaloosa Sat 24-Sep-11 10:41:33

Hiya
We relocated 2.5 years ago from Oxon and love it here! Broadstone (BH18) is excellent...nice ,safe family area with outstanding Ofsted schools and 15 mins to the sea!! This is reflected in the high property prices though!

Corfe Mullen and Wimborne (utterly charming) also excellent!! :0)
Good Luck and always happy to meet for tea and a chat!
x

EmmyLoo33 Tue 27-Sep-11 12:31:49

Hi there

I moved to Broadstone (from Watford) 2 years ago - and absolutely love it here! We moved here for the schools - an excellent choice in Broadstone (my 6 yr old daughter is at Broadstone First School and couldn't recommend it enough) - but Springdale First and Rushcombe are both v good too.

Once you're here - you have fab primary schools, Broadstone middle school and Corfe Hills Secondary School plus Parkstone/Poole grammar schools all a stone's throw away. And the nurserys/pre-schools are great too (have a 2 yr old as well). Plus - you're close to the sea (15 mins drive max)!

Really great schools in the Wimborne/Coleshill area too.

The only prob with Lower Parkstone is that there is one really good first school which is always over subscribed (Courthill First) - we loved that area but didn't want to take the risk with the school.

Good luck with the move - let us know how you get on!

nogoodusernamesleft Sun 02-Oct-11 11:50:31

Another vote for Broadstone here! Have lived here since I was 12 and went to local schools, both DS at Broadstone Middle now which really is an excellent school.

You're pretty close to Poole and Bournemouth for shopping, nights out etc and like EmmyLoo said, 15 mins from the beach (which is fab on a day like today!) grin Is convenient for getting onto M3 as well (about a half hour drive).

Good luck with your move, hope you find somewhere suitable!

septembergirl17 Wed 05-Oct-11 19:00:59

Yes Courthill is a good school but you would have to live within about 500m from it to be sure of a place, you didn't mention if you would also be interested in the church schools because St Josephs and St Aldhelms in upper Parkstone (see ofsted)also fall into Parkstone ,Penn Hill catchment and if you are a church going catholic then St Marys (not so far from Poole Park)is very good.

rainbowmagic Mon 06-Feb-12 16:43:11

we moved in the summer of last year. We couldnt find a property in our first choice Parkstone but did find a house in Talbot woods/Winton Boarders and you get a bit more for your money. My two go to Bournemouth Collegiate and really pleased so far we made the move. Schools in Parkstone are good but its just getting into them we were moving at the wrong time to get into them. Good luck it will be worth it.

Lizyloo Sat 08-Dec-12 10:16:01

Springdale over Broadstone first every time, check out their website letters...lots of problems in recent 2yrs and these letters are the ones parents hear about.

powertrump Fri 04-Jan-13 22:56:05

Hello, just reading this thread with interest. I know it started a while ago, but we're in the same position - moving to Poole as I got a job there recently. We will be moving with our ds who started in reception in sept 2012. We'll be moving mid-year so I think it might be difficult to get in to the more popular Courthill school which looks ace. We're considering Hillbourne as I know it has space currently, and it looks like it's improving according to the last ofsted report. Looks like they have a lot of wonderful outside space as well.

We're relocating from Sussex in a very short time frame, so we're feeling quite stressed at the moment... currently sitting here giving myself a headache researching things on the internet!

Will be visiting the area and looking around at places to rent and schools, at the end of next week. Fingers crossed............

There's a LOT of negative stuff on the internet about Poole which is really annoying - the chavtowns website comes up in searches a lot which is a bit unnerving! I have to keep reminding myself that ALL towns pretty much have rough areas and Poole is no exception. Am I right? Or am I lying to myself?!

Toothfairy1 Mon 14-Jan-13 08:53:19

Hello powertrump. I moved from London in July and am currently renting a house in Talbot woods. I think the move has proved to be wonderful. I am now looking at places to buy. I think if you are new to an area and can rent until you work out where works for you and your family you can not go wrong.
I have been told the Poole has much better state schools that Bournemouth (unless they go to faith schools). I am reluctant to send my little boy to a faith school as although we are not overly religious, i wouldn't want him to be excluded from anything. I am looking at both private and state schools.
One thing to remember is that in Dorset everything is relatively near, so even if you are working in Poole, you can live in for example Christchurch etc...
It will get better... good luck. Please let us know how you get on.

powertrump Mon 14-Jan-13 21:31:20

Thanks Toothfairy1! We went down at the end of last week, and found a house to rent in lower Parkstone in Poole. We had a look at a couple of schools which we know have places - Hamowrthy First and Hillbourne. Hillbourne was awful! So we've applied for Hamworthy as a 3rd choice, the first two are two that are nearer to the house and have outstanding ofsted reports. We'll see!

Really didn't get that much of a chance to really explore as we were trying to entertain our son as well. Spent a bit of time on Bournemouth seafront on Friday which was beautiful - what amazing beaches!

We wouldn't want to send our son to a faith school either, as we're both atheists. So he probably wouldn't get in anyway.

How are you finding the adjustment from London to Dorset? Quite a change!

Now I'm just thinking - how does one make friends in a new area?!?

Toothfairy1 Fri 01-Feb-13 18:42:43

Hi powertrump,
So sorry i didn't check this post until today. I am new on this site.
Let me know if you want to meet up for a coffee. I think the baby/toddler groups are a good way to meet people...
Congratulations on the house! Lovely news x

catwoman68 Mon 29-Jul-13 18:26:16

Hello all, sorry to prolong this ongoing thread but we are also moving down to the area very soon (a few weeks) - we may have to rent for a while but we've seen a house we may put an offer on. Only thing is it's down the bottom of Broadstone (York Road) which we keep hearing mixed views about, regarding proximity to the Waterloo? estate. In fact a builder we looked at the house with later said "I wouldn't buy down there". I know they look at houses from a different perspective but is it that bad down the bottom of York Road?
Thanks for any help!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now