Local Talk

Housing around Milford on Sea/Mudeford/Bransgo re - is this going to be impossible : (?

(17 Posts)
whereishome Sat 15-Sep-12 23:15:13

Hi there,

We are looking at the above schools. This is the end result of lots of searching where to live and lots of researching on schools. We are really happy with our choice....but....

I have just looked at the renting property websites. And there is no property in these areas - and now I am starting to think we have chosen badly : (( We will be needing a 4 bed place.

Does anyone know of these areas and whether it is going to be like looking for a needle in a haystack? We will need to get quite close to the schools as we already appreciate we will be stuck on a waiting list.

Feeling a little despondent tonight which is a shame as we all absolutely love the area.

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

DZH Sat 15-Sep-12 23:22:49

What sort of monthly figure are you looking at WIH ??

whereishome Sun 16-Sep-12 09:04:01

We are wanting to stay around the £1800 mark each month.

DZH Sun 16-Sep-12 19:12:44

Rightmove has only 3, often they are winter lets because the family use it in the summer. Hinton Wood Avenue is a very nice road and the station (to Waterloo) is very handy.
Have you tried visiting the local agents ?? Not every let makes it onto RightMove.

DZH Sun 16-Sep-12 19:14:07

Stourfield school in Southbourne is a good school as is St Katherines on Hengistbury Head.

PurplePidjin Sun 16-Sep-12 19:20:59

Milford and Bransgore are very in demand - picturesque little villages with good schools. Southbourne through to Barton might suit you better, pick somewhere more than 10 minutes walk from the coast to get the best value.

Highcliffe is lovely, mostly bungalows close to the village (i grew up there, parents still in same place!) but bigger houses on the Nea Meadows side towards Saulflands (local shops). Good primary and secondary schools, choice of C of E or Catholic at Primary level (the Catholic Comp is in Southbourne, so a bus journey away)

PurplePidjin Sun 16-Sep-12 19:27:23
whereishome Sun 16-Sep-12 21:48:14

Hi there,

Thanks for your replies - I appreciate it : )) DZH - I had a peep at Stourfield and wasn't overly impressed by the Ofsted report and the Key Stage 2 results : (( And I couldn't find any data on St Katherines - have they changed their name recently? I couldn't find any Ofsted report or performance stats.

PuplePidjin - thanks for your input too. I spent a few nights wading through various reports and data and found that Milford on Sea/Mudeford and Bransgore really shone above the others. I so agree with you that Highcliffe is lovely. But again I am not so keen on the school as the others. Shame as the houses there are really nice : )) And you are both right, that house looks fine. Off now to google where it is. Again, thanks for taking the time to post!

PurplePidjin Sun 16-Sep-12 21:59:58

Yeah, i put my parents postcode in but don't really want to give the game away too much wink

Good luck with Bransgore and Milford, massively over subscribed. Imo, the isolation of village life would rule it out - even a pint of milk means a trip in the car, and don't start me on trying to meet friends as a bored teenager! Bad enough from Highcliffe, was much worse for more rural friends.

Long term, Bransgore feeds to Arnewood and Highcliffe, Milford to Arnewood or Priestlands. Highcliffe is fab (we get lots at the youth club i work at), Priestlands ok afaik, and i live near Arnewood and see the kids wandering around in full uniform at all times of day...

DZH Sun 16-Sep-12 22:10:24

Where

My DD`s went to St James Pokesdown then on to The Girls Grammar and Avonbourne. Both did very well. One went from Avonbourne to St Peters RC for A levels.

Agree with PP that your chosen areas are very very hard to move to. Mudeford is much more mixed. New Milton is slightly larger so will have more choice.

Good luck smile

PurplePidjin Sun 16-Sep-12 22:15:18

Ooh, DZH, i was BSG!! hated it you must be really nearby, from the amount of threads like this we both appear on grin

DZH Sun 16-Sep-12 22:19:27

I was Boscombe East PP smile

Left in 2008 to marry I am the Zombie

Still rent out my house down there smile

Where only 3 beds, sorry

PurplePidjin Sun 16-Sep-12 22:26:47

We should do a meet next time you're around <wonders if we already know each other>

PurplePidjin Sun 16-Sep-12 22:31:10

Thinking laterally, op, why not bunk the kids in together and go private in the short term while you wait for a space at Bransgore/Milford? Durlston, Ballard and Walhampton are all brilliant.

Also look at Ashley, Hordle, Tiptoe, Sopley, Pennington for village Primary schools smile

whereishome Sun 16-Sep-12 22:43:45

Hmm - St James seems to be having a rough time of it at the moment. But your children have done brilliantly - bet you are proud of them. Purple pidjin - you are on the same wave length as me. I have considered this but dc have had so much change recently I would hate for them to love a new school and then have to drag them out again. I will look at the other schools you mention though Sopley and Pennington didn't compare, I seem to remember.

And on another note, seeing as you are all being so helpful, should we be making all these sacrifices to come and live your way? Is it a good area and fun? We were also considering Surrey as the schools are good. But very dull compared to where you are. Hmm - who knows. This is the problem with having no roots. We can go absolutely anywhere at this point in time. Dh just fancies being by the sea and we loved our visit there. But as you said, it is quite remote and you also mentioned being bored as a teenager. Need to be somewhere by Christmas : /

DZH Sun 16-Sep-12 22:47:07

PP I taught at Kingsleigh and Winton. Where are you ? (roughly of course)

PurplePidjin Mon 17-Sep-12 07:23:47

Round here is fine as long as you have work and are either prepared to be a constant taxi or live near public transport - 1 bus per hour finishing at 9pm 15 minutes walk from home is not great when you're 14 and your folks object to driving you around (having sent you to school 10 miles away) Saying that, teenagers tend to be bored no matter what you do! I also wouldn't put all my faith in OfSted reports when choosing a school. Vibe and instinct are just as important. Come for half term and talk to random parents in the park/soft play for a true representation.

Dzh, probably not then, I'm over the border in nm smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now