Local Talk

Low cost things to do with children

(11 Posts)
nannynick Sun 21-Aug-11 09:01:45

I am looking for ideas on low cost / free things to do in the area with young children.

For example, have you found any good locations for feeding ducks, somewhere there are generally speaking always ducks?

Have you found any free museums that are worth visiting?

Which playgrounds are good, and have free parking near them?

Kladdkaka Sun 21-Aug-11 17:24:15

Dinton Pastures near Wokingham is a fab place for feeding ducks and pickniking.

As is California Country Park, also near Wokingham. This has a paddling pool for the kiddies too.

nannynick Sun 21-Aug-11 19:44:58

Both places charge for parking I seem to recall... any idea how much they charge these days. I like Dinton Pastures haven't been for quite a while - thanks for the suggestion.

Kladdkaka Sun 21-Aug-11 22:05:53

No idea, sorry, moved away 10 years ago.

CaptainMartinCrieff Sun 21-Aug-11 22:11:53

You're not too far from Basingstoke canal if you all have bikes it's a nice cycle ride (maybe a picnic). I don't think you're all that far away from the Alice Holt forest in Farnham (only have to pay parking), also very good for cycling (you can hire bikes if you don't have) but even nice for exploring by foot (adventure playground etc...).
Sorry I don't know Bracknell at all, but these two places are only a short drive and virtually free.

brightidea Tue 23-Aug-11 08:55:16

Swimming is only £1 for over 5's this until 4th September @ the Sports Centre - not sure how much for adults!

The look out discovery centre has a fab playpark - free parking. you dont have to go into the main building - and there is a cafe & decent loo/ baby chane facilities.

If you look at Bracknell Forest Council website there are various playdays at parks around the town....

I'll get my thinking hat on!

brightidea Tue 23-Aug-11 08:55:46

forgot to say swimming is free for under 5's!

nannynick Tue 23-Aug-11 22:16:41

Now I've taken two non-swimming children swimming not sure about taking three... that might be a bit much. Thanks for the suggestion, when I have just the two under 5's during school-term time we do go swimming at Coral Reef.

Have invested in an annual pass for The Lookout. Have had one before and we went loads. On a wet day like today it's great as the children (all 3 of them) will be happy for around 5 to 6 hours there. Even baby was happy to splash around with the boats and crawl about getting in the way of people smile

Are any local museums any good? The Museum of Reading is ok, though train fare keeps going up.

Wellbrooke Mon 29-Aug-11 10:06:42

Car parking is £1.50 for four hours at Dinton Pastures. South Hill Park in Bracknell always has ducks, and they are just renovating the play area. Free Parking. Also Jocks Lane and The Pavillion in Bracknell are free parking, playparks and outdoor paddling pools, all free. The Play rangers are visiting these parks throughout the holidays and providing extra activities on certain dates, ie bouncy castle, rock climbing wall also all free. Henley has a lovely "Wind in the Willows," museum although don't know what the charges are. Hope this helps.

nannynick Mon 29-Aug-11 20:22:28

Grays Farm PYO over near Wokingham - not exactly cheap as you spend money on the food you pick.
Thought I'd mention it here though, just as another place to go, as I remember places I've been to in the past.

CEDR Thu 17-Nov-11 12:02:09

Mill Pond in Easthampstead/ Wildridings is quite nice for duck feeding/ watching the birds etc!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now