Local Talk

Bradford Royal vs Airedale

(7 Posts)
AnnaH76 Mon 11-Jul-11 13:38:40

Hi, I'm due in early October with my first, and I'm curious to hear of anyone's experiences of giving birth in either BRI or Airedale hospitals. Any advice or opinions would be very welcome! confused

CallumMsMummy Mon 11-Jul-11 20:56:44

I wasn't happy with Airedale, they seemed very understaffed and I spent most of my labour on my own as they'd sent my partner home! Was sat in an induction room on my own for hours and they "forgot" to bring me anything to eat all day! Heard some not so good things about the BRI though so I would still go back, the care I received during and after the actual birth was brilliant.

SleepySuzy Tue 19-Jul-11 22:04:55

Had 2 babies in BRI and if I hadn't moved out of the county would do so again. Midwives at both births were fantastic.

sleepymare Thu 28-Jul-11 06:11:26

I heard loads of horror stories about Bradford (although not sure how true they are) so I opted for Airedale. I had my DS at Airedale in October last year and the staff were amazing - especially the staff on the ward after the birth who went out of their way to make sure I was comfy and were fantastic at helping me breast feed etc. Hope this helps! Also like to add that if you go overdue they make you wait 14 days before induction at BRI whereas I was booked in at 11 days with DS. Although he made an appearance before my induction date anyway!!

margaeyre Sun 28-Aug-11 16:11:51

HI!
I've always chosen BRI, and I'm fairly happy with it. Not that they are perfect, you understand, but there are no horror stories to tell.
My eldest was stillborn, and they were very supportive.
My son was born by emergency c-section, and we spent 5 days at hospital. I had my own room and they looked well after us, helped me breastfeed as my son was struggling to latch on properly. Must have done something right as he breastfed until he was 17 months old!
and my daughter was born May this year. I went for a planned c-section as was quite depressed, afraid something would go wrong, but eventually she arrived 15 days early, natural labour. Doing great!
As I said, they're not perfect, as they are very busy, so if you want or need something you'll have to ask your midwife, but I would recommend it, especially if you are fairly close and have to drive far to another hospital.
Good luck and all the best!

Message deleted by Mumsnet.

peachybums Tue 20-Sep-11 21:37:35

Ive had 2 babies at BRI and 1 at airedale smile Both hospitals have good and bad points TBH. My first baby was at BRI and i said i would never go back there as the staff were terrible and the hospital was not very clean. Had my second baby at airedale and i couldnt fault it, much cleaner and staff fab! When having my third i was planning a homebirth but due to medical problems i had to go to BRI this time it was much better, staff were great and had no probs at all. BRI is a very busy hospital and as long as they are staffed well i think they manage ok, Airdale ive only ever had good experiences with though. Good luck with the baby

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now