Local Talk

Moving to Baildon/Shipley/Salt aire?

(13 Posts)
DidntChaKnow Sun 15-Jul-12 07:58:26

I'm looking into moving and I'm after any advice about Baildon, Shipley and Saltaire, any recommendations for a single mum of 2 ( also I'm renting not buying)?

I'm looking for a quiet area (I'm currently a deprived area of a neighbouring city and looking to get away from the noise and drug dealing!!), Baildon looks nice and seems to have good rail links but there is only so much you can get from google!

Any information on these areas would be great, especially on where to avoid and schools which you would recommend (or not!)

Thanks

riversongismyhero Sun 15-Jul-12 21:06:57

Hi didntchaknow im originally from baildon. I moved to cheshire two years ago but still travel back monthly to see my family and my daughter attended baildon c of e for a year which really is a lovely school. I would personally recommend higher baildon over lower as in my opinion its much nicer but the prices do reflect this. Sandals school on west lane is also very good my best friends mum is a teacher there and its always had a great rep. My sister lives at hoyle court which is a bit more affordable and really great for the train. Her kids are 12 and 8 and regularly play out on the grass outside with other kids and have done safely since they were quite small.

Id personally avoid lower baildon but even then its not 'bad' just not as nice. I was born and brought up on the grove which is close to baildon village and had a great childhood there. I lived as a single parent on the thorpe edge estate for a few months so i got to know my fair share of druggies! I moved back to baildon and in with my mum for a while and it was the best thing i could have done for my daughter. Still feels like home when we visit!

Hope this detailed story of my life helps! Any more qs just ask grin

DidntChaKnow Sun 15-Jul-12 22:17:48

Thanks river, that's really helpful, I've got my eye on a house on Enfield Road but not sure if that is lower or higher Baildon.
I had a look on the check my file website but that only confused me as it seems that there are two postcodes for the street, one got a good review and the other got a pretty poor one!

Not been to the area yet to check it out but seems ideal from what I've seen on google maps, places to walk the dog, schools and good rail links (I don't drive) but I really need to make time to go there and get a feel for it!

Where I am now is really grim, very densely populated and deprived area with a huge drug problem. I'm desperate to get away to somewhere quieter and more pleasant for my kids to grow up, if you know anything about the part of Baildon I've mentioned I'd be so grateful if you could share your knowledge!

Sorry for the long post, didn't expect anyone to reply!!

riversongismyhero Mon 16-Jul-12 20:26:43

Enfield rd is ok more lower baildon but still good, i used to babysit for a couple there, not the greatest for transport though its a good twenty five minute brisk walk to the train station, buses are every twenty minutes to shipley and bradford and your closest school is probably glenaire primary which i dont know much about im afraid.

Still a good area though lots of families smile

DidntChaKnow Mon 16-Jul-12 21:09:28

I'm going to view the house and have a look around the area tomorrow so fingers crossed!

I had a feeling I'd check back and you'd have replied to say Enfield Road was an ASBO hell hole so feeling slightly relieved!

I don't mind a brisk walk to the station, I often ride a bike which I'm happy to take on the train (though I hadn't given much thought to whether that would be possible during rush hour!) I'll need to be able to get to Leeds at least twice a week and Bradford once or twice a week too so rail links are quite important!

No doubt I'll be back with more questions tomorrow after having a look around, thanks for replying again smile

Oooh I'm originally from Baildon smile My folks still live there, in the top bit of the village.
As pp said, the top end is much nicer, but there are other nice bits too - its quite a big village, more a town really. Lots of houses nearer the station, lots down West Lane heading towards The Glen Tramway area.
The central bit (main roundabout, St Johns church area) has a soft play place too, which I've taken my DD to when visiting.

Most areas are near to one of the local buses. Shipley train station is handy too, you can always get a bus up from there as Baildon station only has a few trains an hour (Shipley every 10/15 mins to Bradford/Leeds etc).

Hope this helps!

DidntChaKnow Mon 16-Jul-12 22:35:49

Thanks bobbys I will have a look near West Lane (looks good as that seems to be where Sandals school is).

Baildon seems to be exactly what I'm looking for but I don't want to be too hasty and end up somewhere that isn't much better than where I am now so all of this info is very useful!

I guess my main concern is getting away from the drug problem we have where I am at the moment, I'm not naive enough to think it doesn't happen elsewhere but it's on my door step and at all hours of the day! Is Lower Baildon known for having a drug problem? (hope I don't sound silly but it's a major concern for me!)

Lower Baildon is less affluent certainly but I'm not sure there's any kind of drug problem!
However Enfield Road I wouldn't really class as Lower Baildon, it's more in the middle grin. There are a few shops just nearby too. Not sure how near the schools are there; there used to be one on Cliffe Avenue (very close to Enfield Road) but it closed when Bradford went from 3 to 2-tier school system.

DidntChaKnow Tue 17-Jul-12 14:52:04

Just got back, the house is lovely and the views were great (I'm easily pleased!) I had thought Sandals school was just round the corner but it seems to be at the top of a cliff!

Going for another look around the area later with my friend who has a car but so far so good, it's a vast improvement on where I am now!

Yep Sandals school used to be on Cliffe Avenue, but is now closed & what used to be Belmont Middle School (at the top of the cliffe) is the new Sandals. Confused? grin

riversongismyhero Tue 17-Jul-12 20:07:25

Aww belmont was ace i loved that school. didnt i really wouldnt worry about a drug problem in baildon because i was never aware of one.

DidntChaKnow Wed 18-Jul-12 20:04:08

Had a good look around today and really liked what I saw! I can see the difference between upper/lower Baildon now after a proper wander and Enfield Road does seem to kind of sit in the middle!

Reading back my posts I realise I sound like a bit of an oddball with my drugs concerns but it's so normal where I am now that I worry it is like that all over!

riversongismyhero Thu 19-Jul-12 19:43:21

Didntcha it doesnt sound weird like i said i lived for a short time in a really bad area, i found used needles in the stairwell on more than one occasion and once the addict who lived below came up to tell me to stop making weird noises because i was freaking him out, at the time i was living just with DD and we were both in bed! Freaked me out and i swore id never be somewhere like that again, its utterly terrifying!

Glad you liked it, it was a lovely place to grow up smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now