Local Talk

Does anyone know of a good child's hairdresser in Brighton??

(54 Posts)
Adamski Thu 16-Sep-10 20:53:08

Have searched and cannot find one who will cut children's hair.
My own hairdresser is great but he wont touch kids!
Please help........!

mamasmissionimpossible Thu 16-Sep-10 21:01:26

Not sure where you are in Brighton, but 'toppers' on ditchling road are used to dealing with kids. I have yet to find a truly great kids hairdresser in Brighton, hope someone else can come along and make a Helpful suggestion.

Pollyanna Thu 16-Sep-10 21:16:22

We go to Mr Toppers nr Churchill Square - I think there are a few branches. Not sure the standard is very high, but ok.

Alternatively Trevor Sorbie do kids cuts for £18 shockgrin (am slightly tempted for my ds2s first haircut)

Pollyanna Thu 16-Sep-10 21:17:44

my sister (hi JT!) has an interesting story about a woman coming into piss on the floor in that toppers branch mamamissionimpossible.

Adamski Thu 16-Sep-10 22:07:16

Am in central Brighton (Seven Dials) and not sure Toppers will be good for a girl's haircut?! Will have to keep searching....
Thanks for your replies so far, particularly the pissing on the floor story!! ha ha.

2shoes Thu 16-Sep-10 22:11:16

Antonio's in Baker street, he does dd's hair(disabled) and is brilliant

Pollyanna Thu 16-Sep-10 22:12:36

Mr Toppers is ok for girls - mine go there! (it is different to Toppers).

Adamski Thu 16-Sep-10 22:24:41

Thank you!

mamasmissionimpossible Thu 16-Sep-10 22:28:58

Have you thought about using a mobile hairdresser? I found one on gumtree.com.

Pollyanna - never heard of the pissing on the floor story, yuck! <washes shoes>

treacletart Fri 17-Sep-10 09:24:03

I strongly recommend Headroom on Powis road The barbers just down from Powis sq. They're all really experienced and do a fab job on DS's hair - They mostly do boys I think, but I have seen little girls there too.

KarenG Sun 19-Sep-10 15:41:54

If you're anywhere near Preston Park/Dyke Rd, Gemini on the corner of The Drove and Reigate Rd is kid friendly.

Brightonton Tue 21-Sep-10 14:01:32

I have used Toppers and Steakers at Fiveways. Both seem to like kids and do a good job. My recollection is that Streakers is cheaper.

lucjam Sat 25-Sep-10 22:17:10

Oh god Gemini is awful they gave DD the worst ever haircut I've seen, was done by the wife, the husband then had to come and sort it out. I would NEVER darken their door again, likewise Priddys (?) opposite Dyke Road Tesco's. Gemini is consistantly empty, I live very near and pass frequently.

I got the Point on Trafalgar street and see Nick who is excellent. DD had her hair cut there today by Mia, but its pricey cost £61.50 for bot me and DD.

DD during the week would be £19.50 (senior stylist) and £22 at weekend (with junior stylist).

pigindisguise Tue 28-Sep-10 10:23:07

I think Toppers is cheaper but am going to try Streakers next time because DD's had a couple of wonky haircuts from Toppers in the past. Probably depends who you get

I went to streaker's the other day, and they were ok but when I got home with DS, DP commented, "he looks like a young Julie Andrews". Make of that what you will...

try north laine hair company, i think it is on gardner street. ask for kate. she is great with kids and is a great hairdresser for adults too! she is very reasonable for kids cuts.

i went to streakers once, the hairdresser just kept telling me about her personal problems and the affair she was having and cut my hair really badly as she was so busy talking! i think she has left now ;)

Spidermama Mon 15-Nov-10 15:59:37

Jiddys is pretty good on dyke road next to the dyke tavern. They do lots of kids. Though they got done a couple of years ago for dumping hair somewhere! shock

Also word has it the one on Matlock Road will do kids even if they have nits. That's their USP.

KidzKutz Mon 10-Jan-11 20:10:58

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

haggis01 Wed 12-Jan-11 11:46:48

most of the chain salons will do kids at certain times - my teens have used Rush and recently Headmasters (facing the Jubilee library)which was really good, bad experience when they went on their own to Trevor Sorbie. But if your child is little there are lots of barbers and hairdressers around 5ways (streakers,toppers,Roys etc which are fine for a trim)

RooniF Thu 20-Jan-11 19:39:45

Not in Brighton, but Identity in Hassocks very good, cost £5 for my dd's first trim, fantastic staff and a lovely experience all round. We saw Gina and she was great with dd.

Repunzeluk Wed 23-Feb-11 12:05:05

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

drmasha Thu 24-Feb-11 18:36:36

I just took my 2 year old boy to Smarty Pants on Western Road by Palmeira Square for his first haircut. Brilliant! They have a car chair and the DVD player so he was watching the cartoon for the most of the haircut. And even when he got fed up and started screaming the lady was brilliant and managed to finish without any problems. The best £8 ever spent. Plus him and his elder sister got a bag of sweets to take home and I got a little pouch of his hair to take home... Highly recommend.

migola Mon 28-Feb-11 09:54:05

Just took DDs to Toppers in Fiveways at the weekend & they're prices have gone up LOADS! Used to pay £4.95 for DD, but now she's 4 it's gone up to £10.95 shock shock, and DD2 (1) was £6.95, so nearly £18 in total. When my DH came back I phoned them up to check they hadn't made a mistake! Apparently they only took 5 mins to do DD2 (ok she's only 1 but she has lots of hair) and her fringe was wonky. Will NOT be going there again

migola Mon 28-Feb-11 09:54:44

their prices blush

raiseaneyebrow Mon 28-Feb-11 19:25:45

Had the same experience at Toppers recently migola. Nearly fainted when it was £10.95 each. Not going there again which is a shame as they are good with kids. DH couldn't believe it cost more to cut a 4 year olds hair than his!

migola Wed 02-Mar-11 10:19:27

now I know why their prices have gone up - just walked past this morning & they were having snazzy new signs put up

Repunzeluk Thu 03-Mar-11 10:29:47

haircuts4kids Wed 23-Mar-11 19:20:10

smartypants89 Tue 29-Mar-11 15:45:14

Evilkat Wed 30-Mar-11 10:41:20

Just thought I would share that I also took my little boy to Smartypants this Saturday and it was absolutely brilliant! He sat on a little chair that was a car and he watched a film of his choice while he was having his hair cut. The lady who did it was lovely, very gentle and great with kids. And to top it all, it was only £8. Great service, great price and especially geared at little ones. Very highly recommended!

threefeethighandrising Mon 04-Apr-11 23:43:16

I know a great one in Eastbourne if anyone is interested.

Funky Viking http://www.thefunkyviking.com/www.thefunkyviking.coms/info.php?p=3 child-fiendly organic cafe / shoe shop / toy shop / nice place to hang out with LOs.

DS has difficult curly hair, and is not keen on sitting still! The hairdresser spun some kind of magic on him (oh, ok it may well have been Peppa Pig on the DVD!) and he sat still while she did a great job.

God that sounds like an ad! I'm not being paid by them honest! I just think they're great grin

threefeethighandrising Mon 04-Apr-11 23:43:49

Let's try that again.

The Funky Viking in Eastbourne.

LLK78 Sat 16-Apr-11 11:43:31

Definitely Recommend Smarty Pants- took my 3 yr old not happy son there-Great cut- with time spent making it look fab even though he was wriggling- sweeties, bubbles, dvd and car seat all provided! -Just don't be put off leaving a message on their answer phone!

Repunzeluk Thu 05-May-11 11:23:03

Zoidberg Thu 04-Aug-11 07:54:05

Well I still don't have a hairdresser - have twice left messages for Repunzel but never been called back, and Smarty Pants had to cancel due to illness, possibly ongoing, though we have an appointment for a week's time. What with leaving time for the first one to get back to me, it will have been a month since I first wanting to get a haircut, and DD's hair is so long it's really annoying.

Rant over. Will try others and report back.

pinkhebe Thu 04-Aug-11 08:14:04

and I had both boys (10 and 8) hair cut for £12 at toppers (total price, not individual) They must have realised that their prices were out of order

Zoidberg Sat 06-Aug-11 15:13:55

Had 2yo DD's hair cut for the first time this morning, at Streakers and it was great, very patient hairdresser, DD had been crying a little in the morning saying she didn't want to go but was persuaded to sit still by them, and a nice simple bob and fringe (from long straggly hair and no fringe), for £6. I was very happy with that.

Gabrialla Mon 15-Aug-11 12:42:20

i would definatly recommend my hairdresser (in brighton) for you kids haircuts. she is very patient and friendly with kids. i always take my son and daughter to her and she also does mobile hairdressing. her prices start from only £5!. her name is Mey, contact number 07748987861.

smartypants89 Mon 03-Oct-11 11:11:46

KKKaty Mon 17-Oct-11 09:18:34

Yes, Smarty Pants, Western Rd Hove are great. My 2 year old hates having his hair cut, total trauma, but they are brilliant at going with it and getting the job done FAST! Good quality cut and good price.

Cutelittlecatlover Sat 22-Oct-11 20:37:53

Another vote here for smarty pants, ds sat happily engrossed in peppa pig totally oblivious to the fact that his hair was being cut! We will definitely be going back smile

rockinhippy Sun 30-Oct-11 10:56:25

Just to add to this, I took DD & her waist length tresses to North Laines Salon in Gardener St last week, she had her hair cut by Manesh - it cost £20 as he's there main stylist, but what a fantastic job he did - will be going back to him myself - not only did DD (9) get a fantastic hair cut, she got the full treatment, he is great with kids & treat her like a star - she has had a bit of a rough time lately, with ill health & accidents & it would have been worth double the money for the massive grin she had on here face after leaving - still did all next day smile

smartypants89 Wed 09-Nov-11 15:19:26

smartypants89 Thu 10-Nov-11 11:29:54

spooniemoonie Fri 25-Nov-11 16:55:05

I take my DD to Jiddys on Dyke Road. Only costs a fiver, they have toddler toys, a TV and a beautiful husky dog called Shadow, plus the stylists Kelly and Claire always do a great job and are really patient while DD leaps about and hides from the scissors!

Bertieandbelle Mon 02-Jan-12 21:22:20

NICDAVIS Wed 22-Feb-12 12:13:15

Message deleted by Mumsnet.

poopa Wed 04-Apr-12 21:40:12

I took my 2 year old here for the novelty factor and they gave him an awful haircut!..I could of done a better job by putting a bowl on his head, I have since taken him to smarty pants on western road in Hove and it is cheaper and a much better cut!

smartypants89 Thu 24-May-12 16:39:46

Jdmac Mon 08-Oct-12 12:20:55

I have just taken my little girl to pirate & pearl in shoreham. They are now doing kids hairdressing. Daughter loved it - watched a DVD and got a balloon at the end for being so good. Great haircut and the lady was really lovely. Only £5 aswell!

mummytopickle Wed 31-Jul-13 11:45:11

My partner has been taking my daughter to Bertie and Belle and I have to be honest despite how nice a time she has the hair cut is very disappointing. Wobbly fringe, poorly cut back basically looks like someone has just grabbed it and lopped it off with no care and attention. We are trying to grow her hair out so a decent cut gives additional time but these have no longevity, do not hold their shape and well to put it bluntly if he takes her back there he will be for the high jump! Its great that the car chairs are there and the sweets etc as a treat for being good but its pointless if the quality of the cut is shocking.

There is a lovely girl in the hairdressers opposite Oak Cottage Nursery (sorry can't remember name but its very old fashioned) she does a cracking haircut for girls. Can't remember the cost but its not extortionate and she does a proper job.

If your feeling adventurous and its during term time you could also try the Lewes College Hairdressers, they are students but under supervision the cost in minimal and they are always looking for models.

WilliamPoet Fri 09-Aug-13 20:43:52

I gave up looking for a child's hairdresser and take DD to mine, Little Gem at top of Rutland Road, v happy with her. DD has had a bob, then had it shaped - cut in at the back, kind of grown up for her age but everyone thought it looked great. Hairdresser has a child booster cushion and lollipops for good sitting.

smartypants89 Tue 03-Dec-13 15:52:00

rattlesnake Sat 04-Jan-14 12:15:20

I would highly recommend "Monroes'" Barcombe rd, Moulsecombe. Rose...Unbeatable hairstylist for kids and adults. Reasonable prices too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now