Local Talk

We are moving to Lewes and I know no one!

(16 Posts)
been33 Wed 22-Jun-11 22:43:29

Hi
We're moving to Lewes in a few weeks with our DS who is 4 and our DD who is 2, i will know nobody and am quite nervous about the move! Can anyone recommend good places to go to meet new friends for both kids and me!
thanks

Hi been33

My family and I moved to Hove last August not knowing anyone. It's daunting but my advice is to just find about everything going on and try and make it along to most of it! Throw yourself in and it'll work out.

I still don't know that many people but I've made some friends through my kids being at school. These things take time though.

Where are you moving from?

Laura x

been33 Thu 23-Jun-11 22:19:26

Hi Laura
We're moving from London where I have been since having the kids so very settled here, so it feels like a big move! I will try and join everything and hopefully find some new friends!! thanks for your reply. XX

Well don't hesitate to get in contact! Would be great to make some new friends. I have a son who is 4 and a daughter who is 7. Hove is only 10 minutes away if you fancy a coffee. x

rockandrose Sat 25-Jun-11 21:27:28

Hi been33, Lewes is brilliant and a great place to bring up kids. You will find most people really friendly. A few ideas to meet people/get out and about are as follows:

Sunny days head to Southover Grage gardens, where you will find most of Lewes mums and babies and then kids after school closing time, it is 5mins from the station

Kings church playgroup is meant to be the best Friday am playgroup but there is waiting list,so get your name down.

All Saints center in central Lewes has a playgroup on a Friday as well,a toy library on a Wedesday I think and the brilliant Tinklers music group on Tuesdays.

The library (next to the All Saints Centre) has music and story time things on once a month and a good kids area.

NCT is very active in Lewes and hosts a great nearly new sale twice a year and mums night monthly.

On the outskirts of town is Monkey Business, indoor play warehouse.

Pells Pool(outdoor swimming pool) has Monday morning under 5 paddlers group or go any time on a hot day.

There is a also a great free group called Inside Outside that meet weekly.

Much more as well but that is off the top of my head. Google anything and it should come up or feel free to ask me.

You will love it, great shops, cafes, mums, schools and views!

been33 Mon 27-Jun-11 22:22:54

thank you so much, I will check all these things out that you have mentioned. That's such a great help. Kind of thing that takes ages to find out for yourself but really handy to have some help on.
Laura - will def be in touch when we move down and would love to meet for coffee
X

Great - Good Luck with the move x

L66TTY Tue 20-Sep-11 14:32:11

Hi Been33 I live near Lewes too and desprately trying to work out whom RockandRose is!! Hello to you too!

Hope you are settling in well and that the move went OK.

My boys are also 2 and 4 my eldest has just started school and now I am looking for some new play mates for my 2 year old we tend to go to Monkey Bizness on Monday mornings as we get in free with an NCT membership card or the latest newsletter!

Charlotte

Cookerydoodledoo Sun 02-Oct-11 20:36:39

Hi - good luck with your move. We live in Brighton but often go to Monkey Bizness. It is a huge soft play place and nice to meet other parents as well as grab a coffee.

Dani01 Fri 22-Mar-13 19:47:31

Hello everyone!

I know its been a long time since the thread was started but I thought I contact you anyway.

I just wondered how been33 has settled in and how she found the move.

We are planning to move our family (2 girls, 2 and 4 years) from London to Lewes in the near future.
Yes, it is a scary thought but I am also very very excited!

I just wondered if you had any comments to the following:
- did anyone move their kids halfway through the school year? Our girl will start reception in Sept '12 but will most likely one be ready to move by the beginning of '13.
Do you think we will be offered a decent primary school place?

I would be very grateful to hear from anyone.

Thanks,
D

Feathered Tue 23-Apr-13 11:23:29

HI Dani01,
How are you getting on? We're just beginning the process of moving to Lewes too. I have twins aged 4 who started in Reception in 2012. We're very, very excited too!

Nikadi Tue 30-Apr-13 16:06:21

All I can say about the moving schools is apparently it's very common around here for kids to be shifted between schools in the first year or two according to the gossip from the Mums at the playgroup I take my charge too! So don't worry too much about them being the new ids or anything smile

Dani01 Sun 02-Jun-13 20:11:22

Thank you for your advise Nikadi, all schools seem of great standard anyway!
Feathered - how exciting you are moving too! Our moving date is arriving fast at mid-july ... though we haven't actually found a place just yet, which is a little too exciting for my liking;-).
How about you?

Nikadi Sun 09-Jun-13 22:29:21

Dani: I nanny a 2.5yo Mon-Weds, let me know if you fancy meeting for a coffee and playdate or something, there are some lovely places around Lewes and one of the gardens has a great little coffee/tea hatch you can get things from smile

Dani01 Sat 06-Jul-13 20:03:19

hello again - our mover is starting to feel real now with a movign in date at the end of July. Very exciting!
I would love to meet up Nikadi - not sure how to send a private message but maybe you could send me yoru contact details.
featheres - how did you get on. Have you got a school place yet for your twins?
Daniela

Bluesskyandclouds Tue 08-Oct-13 10:39:08

Hi, just wondering if any of the newbies to Lewes still reading and how are you getting on? We will be moving to Lewes in Jan with a 3 year old and baby.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now