Local Talk

Brighton College (again).

(11 Posts)
merlincat Wed 01-Feb-12 19:35:45

Sorry to rehash this topic again but have a decision to make. Dd (11) has been offered a place at BC, she's currently at BHHS which I'm underwhelmed with. I guess I'm just a bit anxious about the rumours of ruthlessness, extreme pressure etc. Dd is pretty bright and reasonably robust.Any advice would be hugely appreciated.

luckylavender Thu 02-Feb-12 10:51:16

Well I can help - DS 15, in Year 11, bright but v laid back. Has been at BC since Nursery so 12.5 years - what specific questions do you have?

merlincat Thu 02-Feb-12 13:35:59

Thanks Lucky. I suppose I want to know if the teachers are warm and supportive; I'm anticipating an increased work load from her current school so she might need a little while to adjust. Are the teachers approachable? What about the general behaviour of the children; are they nice to each other broadly speaking? She's currently at an all girls school and am fed up with bitchiness!

BeattieBow Thu 02-Feb-12 13:46:10

it depends what you like really. I had a dd there and a ds and just didn't like the atmosphere. Too pushy, too pressurised etc etc. My dd did ok there, and was in the top few in her year, but now she is in another school she has said how much better the new school is.

No doubt about the academic achievements though.

I've also heard not so good things about BHHS.

There were a couple of parents in dds year (she would be in y6, so possibly the same as your dd) who did move their girls from BHHS and rave about Brighton college.

luckylavender Thu 02-Feb-12 15:10:13

So she'll be joining the Lower School potentially? I know less about those two years as DS went from pre-Prep to Prep to College via Common Entrance. Honestly it doesn't fit with my idea of a hot house at all. DS in the middle of GCSEs, very laid back, quite bright (well I would say very bright but it is all relative!) and sporty. Marvellous teachers, some stricter than others, some more approachable than others but all very willing to give their time face to face, by email, by phone with your concerns. As example although not an academic one - DS very sporty but until the College wasn't seen as one of the top sportsmen, but hovering on the sidelines of the 1st Rugby team etc. Not an in your face boy and would never sing his own praises. In the College they have given him so much attention and constructive help and boy has he flourished, now an automatice choice with the "in your face" boys being seen for what they are more. He thinks the teaching is marvellous (and if you knew my DS you would know that is quite a compliment) and has been happy to go to school every single day since the Nursery. Quite an acheivement. If I am honest I liked the Prep less though this will now change. I think that once you are in you feel differently and see what a nurturing environment it is, well that is my experience. All the children look out for each other and the House system is marvellous (from Year 9). Let me know if you have further questions - happy to help

merlincat Thu 02-Feb-12 15:59:25

Thanks Lucky, I really appreciate that. Mine isn't pushy either but I have yet to see her really stretched, or inspired for that matter. I looked into the Prep but was extremely unimpressed by someone on the staff (if you get my drift).

BC does seem to produce some extreme reactions locally doesn't it?

luckylavender Thu 02-Feb-12 16:59:22

It does yes, but I can only speak as I find. At that price he would not still be there if I wasn't enthralled. Don't get me wrong it's not utopia, but I think it's a very good school.

jayjayc Wed 08-Feb-12 16:22:50

I know what you mean about 'extreme reactions' Merlincat, but I think a lot of the time it's more about whether your DC got in or not than anything else... not surprisingly, really. It's hard if they don't. A friend of mine's DS didn't pass and she took it really hard, felt really negative about BC, and put me off for a while to be honest. But I got such a good feeling about the place when I finally visited, I decided to go for it for my DS. He did get in, and is really, really happy. So am I, and so are the BC parents I talk to. I'd say go with your own instincts and go and see for yourself. Hope this helps.

jayjayc Wed 08-Feb-12 16:27:24

Sorry, just posted then saw your DC's already been offered a place, so of course you've seen for yourself already! I still think going with your own instincts is right...

merlincat Wed 08-Feb-12 19:42:45

Thanks jayjayc, it did occur to me that sour grapes might play a part in some reactions, not an easy thing to raise with people though. I'm glad your DS is doing so well, maybe see you there!

foodieheaven123 Sun 28-Sep-14 12:45:35

Brighton college orientation day for 13 plus
Everyone is invited to this day that sat the exam. I am nervous
to attend as it will raise the hopes of my DS. Apparently this school
is oversubscribed. He really liked the school. Has anyone been in this position.

Thank you

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now