Local Talk

Moving to Sussex

(9 Posts)
Goonermumof2 Mon 26-Mar-12 21:27:04

Hi

DH and I (and our 2 DD) are relocating to Sussex and I was wondering whether anyone could give me some lowdown on schools and general kids stuff/good places to live around the Lewes/North Brighton area. We were looking at Hurstpierpoint but the state primary has no spaces for our eldest. There seems to be a good infant school in Hassocks but the follow on junior schools don't look great? We are moving from London and I'm not sure whether village life is for us anyway. If anyone would like to share any information and/or opinions it would be really appreciated. We don't fancy Brighton itself (for the same reasons we fancy a move out of London). I'm beginning to get a bit stressed about things as we have sold our house and need to make a decision pretty quickly.

oliverreed Tue 27-Mar-12 22:20:20

we looked at hassocks and hurstpierpoint but both felt a little insular. we wanted a brighton 'vibe' without the scuzziness! Hove is great (schools a bit mixed though) and we also like Lewes - slightly old fashioned hippy vibe with a lot going on and very tolerant i think. How about Shoreham (in the town) or worthing?

mrspink27 Tue 27-Mar-12 22:25:07

Haywards Heath might be worth a look?

Goonermumof2 Thu 29-Mar-12 22:28:31

Thanks - we looked at Haywards Heath but I think we thought a bit further south would be better. We are going on another recce on Tuesday, we might have a look at Hove (and maybe Shoreham - I 've never been there!) Have you made a similar move oliverreed?

Shoreham is great. I moved from London to Shoreham 3 years ago. There are lovely houses and a beach that you can get a space on. people who are priced out of Brighton are moving further along to Shoreham so shops and restaurants have improved in the time I've lived there.

bigbuttons Sat 31-Mar-12 08:10:00

we are about to rent in Kingston near lewes, having lived in Falmer (in between Brighton and Lewes) for 10 years. Will move to Lewes soon. Kids go to I&K primary and priory secondary

Goonermumof2 Sat 31-Mar-12 16:02:48

Thanks for your replies - we will definitely give Shoreham a look next week. We've already been to Lewes and it is on our "maybe list", depending on school spaces.

hattyha Tue 28-Aug-12 14:22:33

What about Burgess Hill? Its half way between Brighton and Crawley and has 2 train stations.

It has some very good schools and a great leisure centre with great facilities.

thornrose Tue 28-Aug-12 14:28:46

I moved from London to Worthing, I love it. I agree that Shoreham is lovely too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now