Local Talk

Clifton hill/Seven Dials area

(18 Posts)
Rhubarbgarden Fri 08-Jun-12 07:08:14

We've just offered on a house in this area and I'm impossibly excited because I've been wanting to move back to Brighton since leaving six years ago. I'm suddenly getting the heebie jeebies though, because I'm hearing reports that primary school catchment areas are tiny and there is a big problem in this area with children getting into schools. Anyone live here and can advise? We are not church goers so I'm presuming the two church schools nearby are off-limits.

Any nursery recommendations also appreciated.

When I left Brighton kids weren't even on the horizon for me, so my needs on returning are going to be very different! I have a two year old and a three week old.

Thanks

karenjm Fri 08-Jun-12 14:46:11

Hi,
I don't live in that area but recently to moved to an area with equally tight school catchments.
There's a fact sheet on primary school admissions on the council's site http://www.brighton-hove.gov.uk/index.cfm?request=b1146744. It gives the furthest distance that they admitted children at each of the schools. The distances change a bit every year, depending on how many school age children are in the area and siblings etc. But the council is really helpful, they're happy to tell you the distances for previous years and how far your house is from your closest school. It will at least give you more of an idea how easy it will be to get in to the schools around you.
Hope that helps.

BeattieBow Sat 09-Jun-12 10:58:36

Depends where your house is. non-church goers do get into the church school. If you want to pm me I have more information.

Rhubarbgarden Sat 09-Jun-12 11:18:09

Thanks. BeattieBow will pm you.

noddyholder Sat 09-Jun-12 15:19:14

What school are you thinking of? Stanford?

Rhubarbgarden Sat 09-Jun-12 17:26:21

I don't really know, Noddy! I think Stanford is the closest, but it sounds like we might be too far because the catchment is so small. It looks like we may have a chance with Middle Street. St Pauls is quite close but I don't know how much chance we'd have of getting in as non-church goers.

noddyholder Sat 09-Jun-12 17:32:14

I have friends with kids there they love it. Great friendly social parents vibe. Maybe ring the council and ask. Balfour and Downs also v good.

Rhubarbgarden Sat 09-Jun-12 18:03:37

That's good to hear. Are they very close to the school?

noddyholder Sat 09-Jun-12 18:40:08

A bit closer than central 7dials but not very close.

BeattieBow Sun 10-Jun-12 16:46:49

I've pm'ed you Rhubarb. I don't think you'd get into Stanford I'm afraid and Middle Street a bit dubious too - but maybe the distances for this years admissions will give more information? I'm not sure if they're on the admissions webpage yet, but the admissions team may be able to give you some advice.

Goldenbear Sun 10-Jun-12 21:47:16

I think you'd have a good chance with Middle Street. I know of a boy that was awarded this school as their second choice and lived further away than your proposed location. It was only their second choice because they lived closer to Davidgor infants.

I also know 1 person whose child goes to St.pauls, they live closer to Stanford but had their child Christianed and wanted him to go to a church school. I know they did go to church frequently prior to the school application and continue to do so.

My DP's boss did have a child at St.Pauls, he left last year and she said she preferred the school at the start of her childrens' time their as during the last 2/3 years she felt the pressure for places created a more competitive environment and the pressure to attend church regularly had increased! However, obviously this is just one woman's opinion whose child left last June!

Rhubarbgarden Sun 10-Jun-12 22:47:35

Thanks both. I think I'm feeling put off St Paul's by what you've said. Not that I would start going to church to get my kids into a school anyway. I shall just have to keep my fingers crossed for Middle Street, and look into private as a back up.

merlincat Mon 11-Jun-12 22:53:45

My son went to St Pauls and we are openly aetheist; there really wasn't a huge amount of God-bothering either.

Rhubarbgarden Tue 12-Jun-12 06:58:11

Oh that's good, Merlin. Thanks

TaffyMadison Mon 03-Sep-12 13:26:20

Sorry to wade in on someone else's post but I am looking for some extra reassurance...

We have just had an offer accepted on a house within the required distance for Stanford Infants School. I know it's a great school and the close proximity was a real selling point for the house. I don't know a lot about the area of Port Hall itself though and being relatively new to the Brighton area overall I was quite interested in noddyholders comment re: the social / friendly vibe. Are you referring to Stanford Infants? It would be really helpful to hear your thoughts on the area as we are hoping it will have more of a community feel than where we are now + it would be nice to make some friends locally.

lucjam Mon 03-Sep-12 22:58:41

Stanford Infants is lovely, both my kids are/went there. Moved my DD from the juniors though, not impressed at all. She now goes to St Pauls and we love it, currently waiting for my son to get a place there he has been on the list 2 yrs!

TaffyMadison Tue 04-Sep-12 11:46:37

Thanks for the feedback. May I ask what it is about the Junior School that you don't like?

lucjam Thu 06-Sep-12 22:29:24

Its a big school so unless you are gifted/talented or naughty you tend to go unoticed. My DD wasn't being pushed at all academically, she has come on leaps and bounds since moving. There is also a real undercurrent of bullying, its VERY white midlde class and not really like life IMO. DD's new school feels more realistic, true to life, there are more nationalities and whilst there are the Boden/Joules crowd there are lots of other different sorts of people too. Hope that helps.

All that said there will be a new head at the juniors sometime this year so who knows changes could be afoot.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now