Local Talk

Lewes advice

(13 Posts)
abrilsp Mon 02-Jul-12 22:15:20

Hello, on my house hunting I just come across with a property in Lewes. Initially I was looking for a place in Brighton, which I am become quite familiar. I do not much about Lewes, I have read some good reviews, has anyone have any advice good/ bad about the town? I am moving with two children, 6 and 4 years old. I have to admit my heart is set in Brighton but you never know.... Thank you so much. Rachel

I used to work in Lewes & husband still does. I really like it as a town but know nothing about house prices. A couple of my friends live there & commute to London so it is do-able. Parking can be expensive but that's the same as Brighton.
What did you want to know about?

abrilsp Tue 03-Jul-12 23:10:36

thanks a lot mrshelsbels74. I wanted just general advice about living there, specially with children. Things like schools, things to do... For what I read there's quite a lot going on for under fives, but mine are over. thanks again

I don't know about schools but Lewes has a leisure centre and an outdoor pool if that's of interest for your children. There's also a few historic bits & pieces, castle ruins, Anne of Cleves house.
There's also a huge procession & firework display in November.

Sorry cant think of anything else right now but haven't had my morning cuppa yet!grin

Not much to do on rainy days in Lewes with kids. I work with a toddler there and on the milder days it's lovely, loads of little parks, the castle, the priory and a few little parks better for toddlers (there are a couple for older kids too but they're further out of the town area). The leisure centre is okay, nice pool and softplay there but out of the way of town, loads of nice walks around town and the outskirts too.

I love Lewes and would love to live there too!

abrilsp Fri 13-Jul-12 23:20:23

thanks for your answers.On weekdays with school and few extra activities we are done. And on weekends we do have more time to wonder around, i'll get wellies for the whole family....

dillnameddog Wed 25-Jul-12 19:27:58

Good for schools - probably better than Brighton on that score.
It's a smaller town - you'll either love it or find it a little claustrophobic. I am considering moving there for school reasons.

Sunnydelight Sat 04-Aug-12 10:33:56

After 12 years in Brighton we moved to Lewes, mainly because of secondary schooling, and were there for three years. We now live in Sydney - it was much easier to leave Lewes than Brighton!

My advice would be, if you can afford what you want in Brighton move there. I had my three kids there and it's a great place to be with primary aged kids. Lewes is lovely, very pretty, good schools - but it is a small town with not much going on and I found myself regularly going back to Brighton for evenings with friends etc. I found it quite hard to make friends in Lewes - I never had that problem in Brighton, it's a much more diverse, laid back place to live.

Ultimately we couldn't afford the "next house" in Brighton and our house in Lewes was lovely, but we got an anonymous letter through our letterbox in Lewes telling us to "go back to where we came from" which was rather baffling and just about said it all!

Lauralyle Sun 05-Aug-12 20:26:56

Hi, I've just joined 'cos we are moving back to Brighton with our daughter who is about to be 6, and thought this would be a good way of meeting up with other kids. She's very excited about the move but still, leaving all her friends behind. I visited Lewes a few times when I lived in Brighton before and it seemed quite interesting, how are you getting on? I lived in Brighton before for a couple of years and wasnt that sad to leave really but now, with our kid on board, it seems suddenly like a great idea! (We are in midlands now, really landlocked in the heart of the country so the sea seems quite enticing).

abrilsp Wed 15-Aug-12 23:49:31

Hello!! just an update. Finally the place I took is in Brighton. When it came, I was torn between the two places but at the end was Brighton. We moved here nearly a month ago, it's near (well very very close to preston park). So far so good, i'll never know how would have been Lewes. But I think it's going to work good for us here!! Anyway, thanks for all your answers

Susi74 Sat 15-Sep-12 21:09:08

Hi Abrilsp

Any more thoughts on this now you've been there a few weeks? In particular is the park itself okay at night? Much in the way of drug taking / dodgey behaviour? We're moving into the area and having the same thoughts about Lewes / Preston Park. Any thoughts much appreciated - thanks

abrilsp72 Fri 09-Nov-12 14:24:56

Sorry Susi74 for the late replied I haven't been around for some time. It's now 3 months since we move to preston park and I love it. I cannot tell you about the park at night as at that time I am indoors with the children. However, I've walked down quite late and I haven't seen anything dodgy around. So far I've met lovely people and very happy how things are turning. Any questions just ask and good luck

hellopussycat Fri 09-Nov-12 14:29:19

PP is fine at night as far as I know, lived round corner from it for 8 years. don't think there are drug issues there, more likely to find that at the level.

I lived in Lewes for 9 weeks in between houses, it was nice but a bit boring and for good shopping you have to come to Brighton. Think you made the right choice
abrilsp72

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now