Local Talk

New to Preston Park area- ex-Londoner with 2 year old looking for groups

(23 Posts)
LostInBrighton Mon 03-Sep-12 09:33:06

Hi there, I'm new to mumsnet and Brighton but felt compelled to reach out! I've just moved down to Preston Park from London with my 2 year old and am looking for local groups/activities on Mon/Tue where I might meet some friendly, down-to-earth local mums. Feeling very much as though I've started a new school late in the term when everybody's already made friends- and advice much appreciated indeed x

Hi I don't know too many groups in the Preston Park area but I'm quite near there if you're interested in meeting for tea & cake? I have one son 2.6 & another due imminently!

LostInBrighton Mon 03-Sep-12 13:48:33

Hi HelsBels, that sounds lovely...can we message each other on this? I'm on Kingsley Road nr the animal hospital x

lucjam Mon 03-Sep-12 22:55:28

Waves to lost, am also v near the PDSA, infact I might even be able to see your house from mine! There is a group called Little Lambs at the Church of Good Shep on Dyke Road (ie at top of your hill) but is on a Wednesday at 1pm. Otherwise you could try Tivoli Music, run by Louisa who is lovely, on Tivoli Crescent, walk along from Tivoli shop, on same side about 100 yards from shop she hold music classes in her basement, is a right of passage to attend for at least one term for kids round here!!

Also on a Tuesday at St Nicholas Church (at town end of Dyke Road) there is a fab playgroup at 9.30 (ish?) till about 11, great sna0kcs/toys/singing and painting/crafts etc.

Disclaimer my kids are now 10 and 6 so is some time since I did these activities but as far as I know they are all still running.

HappySunflower Wed 05-Sep-12 23:26:38

Hi everyone

I'm up for meeting for a coffee in Preston Park if any/all of you might be up for that?

smile

Hi Happy love to meet in Preston Park but am going into hibernation mode next week as am 38 weeks pregnant so not really able to make plans!

diddibrighton Sat 08-Sep-12 12:34:36

Hi everyone, I run diddi dance classes nearby on Thursdays in dyke road. Funky preschool dance classes for boys & girls. Possibly opening new class in Preston park/Fiveways area in the near future. We offer a free trial! If interested please contact me (laura) 07730 576597 www.diddidance.com smile

ClaireRussellYoga Fri 14-Sep-12 08:56:40

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

DeeLite Sat 22-Sep-12 05:13:50

LostinBrighton, I can see Kingsley Road from my house so we are practically neighbours smile and I have a 2yo and a second one due any day now (hence being up posting at this ungodly hour).

We moved down from London about six years ago and felt very lonely for a long time but we didn't have kids then. You'll get to know people quickly through mums and toddlers groups, nursery and then school when the time comes so don't worry - you won't be lost in Brighton forever!

I don't know of any groups on Mondays or Tuesdays. Are there any other days you're free? Otherwise, feel free to PM me (and Happysunflower and HelsBels too) to arrange tea and cake in Preston Park. Although not very homely, the Rotunda cafe does a great apple strudel smile.

twinmama82 Tue 23-Oct-12 09:26:22

Hi All
I hope you don't mind me joining in?!

I too have just moved to PP. Only from nr Haywards Heath but I'm still feeling a little lost - with babies the days can be sooo long!

I have 8month old twin girls and am also looking for some new groups to go to. Are any of the groups you've suggested suitable for babies too?

We live on Robertson Rd, two doors up from the PDSA so I think I'm quite near to you all?

I hope all your new arrivals are doing well.

Laura x

Hi Laura (and everyone),
There's a Tots and Toddlers baby group on Monday mornings at St Peters (not quite PP, but not far away - the cathedral looking place near London Rd/Old Steine/The Level)
stpetersbrighton.org/tots-and-toddlers
(There's a toddlers group on Thurs too)
I'm local but don't have any DC in this age group - but there's sure to be a friendly face. smile

NixstaBrighton Thu 01-Nov-12 18:12:02

Hi everyone. I have a 2 year old and I live in the Preston Park area.
There is a local group that most Fiveways/Preston park mums go to on a Monday morning. It's attached to the Fiveways preschool, which is THE preschool in the area. The group is at the Florence Road building and I think it runs 10-11.30am. Used to be drop in but you'd need to check. Message me if you want more details and I can dig out contact details for you. The same group also runs on a Friday morn.
Tuesday morns I always found a bit tricky.
I used to take him to Gymboree in Churchill Square.
Brilliant and he loved it.
Thurs morn there is Knoyle Hall and St Matthias at Fiveways.
Weds afternoon = Stanford avenue Methodist church

Hope that all helps!

If anyone is planning a Preston Park meet up then please let me know. I'd love to come along smile xxx

hellopussycat Fri 09-Nov-12 14:33:41

Hi twinmama, I live on your road, same side but half way up, will wave when I go past!

Duck75 Sat 09-Feb-13 21:13:30

Hi all sorry to belatedly piggy back onto this thread but I'm moving from London to fiveways and would love to join any meet ups with my 2.5 year old (have a 6 yr old also but thinking about day time stuff to do)...feeling rather nervous about a new start esp as I have given up my job for the move (eek) but really looking forward to living in such a fab place as Brighton.

Ilovemycats1 Tue 05-Mar-13 09:21:33

Hello, I'm also late on this but have just moved to PP and have a 9 month old. I'm looking for some baby groups in the local area for Thurs/Fridays. He's too young at the moment for soft play. If anyone fancies doing a buggy walk round PP with a stop off at the swings smile or if there are any meet ups we'd love to join smile x

Ruthrosewell Mon 18-Mar-13 20:08:07

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

brownshoes100 Tue 28-May-13 19:41:17

Hello, we're quite new to the area too, we have 20 month little boy, any half term hints very gratefully received!

partymamma Tue 06-Aug-13 14:57:51

Hi. Just wanted to say hi to mums in PP. I've been in the area for 3 years now, but have always headed into central Brighton for everything. Now, with a 12 week old baby boy, am looking to meet people locally. I may check out some of these groups recommended.

NewtoPrestonPark Tue 22-Oct-13 12:26:32

Hi there
I'm joining this thread because I moved to PP from London (as per lots of people!) just 5 weeks ago with my husband and 3yo, nearly 4yo son so am still pretty green and looking for some local Mums with similar age little folk to meet up with and share trials, tribulations, coffees, cake and the odd Friday vino!!
I'm 40 next year, lived in London for the past 17 years, prior to that went to Leeds University and am from Cheltenham originally...my little one is called Joseph, is a dear thing (who has his moments!) and he loves the park, scooting, Fireman Sam and all the usual things!
Message me if you fancy meeting for a coffee one day. I'm not a weirdo, just looking for some local friendly faces

Hi there Newto and welcome to Brighton! I'm also based in Preston Park and there's so much here for kids - obviously the park, there's Little Lambs playgroup at the Good Shepherd Church on Dyke Road on Tuesday mornings and also the Knoyle Hall playgroup on Preston Road on Thursday mornings. There's a fab children's centre at the north end of the park near Preston Circus. The next Brighton meetup is on 14 December, it would be great to see you there (venue tbc).

Lilliput1 Fri 06-Dec-13 16:07:41

Hi, I am also jumping on this thread late, I am new to Preston park moving down from London with my partner and our 9 month old DD back in October. We have been to a few great baby groups including the Florence road group, little lambs and baby boogie at the library. We would also like to just meet some mums in the area for coffee or a stroll in the park as starting out in a new town can get a bit lonely so friendly faces would be good!

laurapalms Sat 11-Jan-14 18:46:53

Hi all, again very late to this thread, but hoping there might be some friendly mums in the PP area to meet up with. I'm 35 and moved here a year ago, also from London! I have a very active 2.5 yr old son and had another little boy 3 months ago. With being pregnant and working didn't get much of a chance to meet people last year. Would be great to meet mums for with toddlers and babies for activities and walks. Aiming to get to some playgroups too, so the earlier suggestions are v handy - thanks!

coffeecups Thu 23-Jan-14 17:58:15

Dragonflies is a really lovely playgroup that runs on a Thursday morning 10-12 at knoyle hall. Really nice clean hall, lots of space and very friendly people. Can't recommend it enough. It's run by a team of volunteers who come up with a great range of arts activities, sing songs and the best snack table in town.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now