Local Talk

Moving to Worthing - what do I need to know?

(9 Posts)
Helenagrace Mon 17-Sep-12 22:08:35

DH has just accepted a job in Croydon. We started out looking for places within a one hour ish commute of East Croydon station and came up with West Sussex. We're seriously considering Worthing. We have no knowledge of the area though and we currently live nearly 300 miles away near the Lake District.

I'm looking for any tips or advice on the area. Initially we'll be looking to rent as our house hasn't sold yet.

I have a 11 yo DD who is currently home educated due to our impending relocation but would be Y6 and a 6 yo DS in Y2.

It seems as though there is a first/middle/upper system for schools - is that right? It also seems that the middle schools only go up to year 7, whereas my experience elsewhere was that they went up to year 8. Have I read things wrong? Are first schools linked automatically to a middle school or do you have to reapply?

Any advice on good or bad areas, schools, transport etc for me? Oh and suggestions for somewhere nice to eat next weekend when we visit would be good too!

Thank you!!

katiecubs Tue 18-Sep-12 13:51:09

Hello,

I grew up in worthing and live in Hove now. I'm not 100% on the schools - i went to a primary and secondary school which still, along with others, run that way but i would say the majority are first, middle, upper. Good schools that i know of are Thomas a Beckitt and Goring First School (both OFSTED outstanding).

In terms of where to live the sea side of the railway tracks is generally nicer, Goring is lovely with lots of green space and families, Worthing and West Worthing are good bets too. Durrington and East Worthing have some iffy bits but generally i don't think you can go too wrong in Worthing as it's all pretty good. Hope that helps smile

katiecubs Tue 18-Sep-12 13:55:14

oh and for somewhere to eat Brio's is a good bet http://www.briorestaurant.co.uk/or Casa Ciro's does lovely food too http://www.casaciro.co.uk/ - both are located on the seafront and are pretty popular so you need to book at the weekend

cantspel Fri 21-Sep-12 11:52:09

I live in goring and it is a lovely place to bring up children.
There is a mix of primary and middle systems here. Mine did the primary route and now in a good local secondary.
You also have Northbrook college just on the door step for further education.
Some of the secondary schools dont have a sixth form so they go straight on to college after year 11.

East worthing still has single sex secondary schools as well as a mixed comp.

What sort of budget are you looking at as worthing and the surrounding areas have most sorts of housing from small terraces to £1m plus homes.

If you like the Lake District you will like west sussex. You have the Downs and open country side on one side and the coast on the other. Plenty of outdoor activities from riding to sailing right on your doorstep. The schools are good (some better than others but no real horrific ones)

Worthing is fine for everyday shopping with a m&s, h&m, boots, superdrugs, debehams, beales and also the cheaper shops like wilkinsons, poundland, savers ect. There is a market on a wednesday and you offer have the french market on a weekend. You also have all major supermarkets in the area. There is a waitrose, morrisons, tescos, sainsburys, lidl and new new adsa superstore due to open in nov all within about a 5 mile radius of worthing.

Helenagrace Fri 21-Sep-12 20:31:37

Thank you!

We're actually en route to Worthing now as there are two houses we want to view.

Very excited!

cantspel Sat 22-Sep-12 14:12:33

Good luck

Helenagrace Mon 01-Oct-12 11:47:42

Just to update - we've agreed a rental on a house in Tarring near West Worthing station. We're moving in about 8 weeks.

Really looking forward to it - and hoping that the "we heart sunny Worthing" signs are true! Currently we're near the Lake District and I am so fed up with rain!!

Mummyemz2 Wed 07-Nov-12 11:51:02

Hello,
Can I jump on the Worthing bandwagon?
I am moving from Beckenham to Kipling Avenue in Goring at the beginning if December.
I have a 9 month old and 3 year old daughter.
I have been told that Field place is our local school so plan to put my 3 year olds name down for that for next September but the nursery is full.
Does anyone know if any other goid nurseries/preschools in that area?
Also, what's the local area like for kids? R there baby groups etc?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated as u am so nervous about moving to a new area with no family and friends!
Thanks x

diddidancebrighton Fri 09-Nov-12 19:23:44

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now