Local Talk

Advice secondary schools Brighton

(7 Posts)
Fernie2 Mon 10-May-10 22:22:57

Moving to Brighton this summer. need secondary school place for DD Yr 8 Sept. Any info/experience of Patcham or Falmer? Falmer will become an academy this september - have read about what this means but is it just a cover up for a failing school? anyone know anything about Brighton and Hove High School (girls only)? Would like to find indie that doesn't pile pressure on.
Also have older DD who has a place to do IB at Varndean College. Anyone else done/doing IB there? Thanks for your help.

2shoes Mon 10-May-10 22:27:21

sorry what is IB?
my ds went to patcham and is now at varndean college.
I WOULD ADVOID FALMER LIKE THE PLAGUE.
when they did the ctchment are for it they mad it imo one of the poorest schools in the city, as it' s intake is mainly from council/HA.
we live on one of the HA estates that it's intake comes from.......you would not want your child at school with some of the kids round here.

Fernie2 Tue 11-May-10 05:57:45

Thanks for your reply 2shoes. Haven't heard anything good about Falmer - getting depressed now. What did you think of Patcham?
IB is the International Baccalaureate - its an alternative to A levels.

margaret1 Mon 04-Oct-10 22:31:53

Does anyone know anything about the entrance test for BHHS? DD is bright enough, but sporty more than academic. Is it possible to get past papers? I asked at the open morning but the school said they don't make them available. Is this true or are they just fobbing us townies off

Would be ever grateful for any advice!

SirBoobAlot Mon 04-Oct-10 22:37:17

Patcham is kind of Meh.

Varndean College is okay as long as you don't need any extra support. Only thing I would say about IB in general is if you fail one module, you fail the whole qualification. Generally the IB options at Varndean are very good.

Blatchington Mill is a very good secondary school, Varndean school is kind of midway. Just avoid Falmer and Longhill, and you'll be fine!

SirBoobAlot Mon 04-Oct-10 22:37:45

Just seen the date of the OP blush Ignore me...

preciousbeing Sat 16-Mar-13 15:40:47

Hello, wondered if anyone had girls at BHHS and what they thought of it? Thinking of applying there in year 7 for my DD who is currently Yr 4 at state school. Any advice about managing the transition, or doing well in the entrance test would be appreciated!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now