Local Talk

Hello! Moving to Brighton soon and looking for schools advice : )

(10 Posts)
joyfull Wed 23-May-12 14:02:20

Hello shiny Brighton mumsnetters.

Am starting to plan a move to Brighton from Bristol, my 6 y.o. son and I will be moving in with my partner who'd be commuting to London. All very exciting and a little scary eeeek! I'm super early days expecting child no 2. Have only been to Brighton twice, but am looking forward to exploring and being by the sea.

The primary schools here are crazy oversubscribed and DS hates the rigidity of the school he's at at the moment. He did Steiner kindie for a while here before hand and it seems to have rubbed off... not planning on going down that route, but keen to hear ideas on primary schools. I know attitudes can vary massively. Ideally hoping to find somewhere that's creative and doesn't have a uniform. Are schools hard to get into/change places there - he'd be Year 2 in September.

Thanks in advance m'dears.

mle
x

joyfull Wed 23-May-12 14:03:31

Oh yes! And would we need to live on the doorstep? xx

abrilsp Thu 24-May-12 22:21:27

Moving to Brighton (hopefully) shortly. Getting into schools is a nightmare, to say the lest. The best/decent ones are full and the ones left are no great. I am having a lot of problems finding schools that match with the accommodation.
Best of luck

joyfull Fri 25-May-12 08:58:25

Oh dear sad

That was not the news I was hoping for... Good luck to you too. How long have you been looking/how old's your little one?

Anyone else have ideas/experience to share?

X

abrilsp Fri 25-May-12 13:49:11

I know.... I wish it was a bit easier!!! i've been about 2 months, personal circumstances makes things a bit more difficult, it might not take you so long.
I have two children ds 6, dd 4. Dd starting reception is also and added difficulty.
This is way I say hopefully one day i'll be there...

rockinhippy Fri 25-May-12 14:04:15

I believe as its now classed as "Outstanding" my own DDs school is also now greatly oversubscribed - BUT if you DS struggles to fit in with mainstream Schooling after a Steiner School, then it could be a good choice for him & anything you can get to back up his need for a more understanding School could probably help you get a place there.

They are known to be great with helping such DCs fit into mainstream Schooling & I know several who are there, that travel from further afield than the Schools catchment area, because they have been placed there by the LEA after struggling with behaviour in other local Schools - IYSWIM - its a brilliant little school, great with both ends of the spectrum, very creative & no uniform either & the staff are generally fantastic

I do know that more places open up in all schools either yr 2, or 3, sorry can't remember which one blush but the necessary Teacher - Pupil ratio changes, which means they can take on extra DCs in that year - so you might be in luck

rockinhippy Fri 25-May-12 14:04:36

Sorry, forgot School name - Carlton Hill

joyfull Mon 08-Oct-12 12:45:13

Thanks everyone - we made it here in the end! Buying a house took forever but we're in now and gradually getting settled. How did you get on abrilsp? We managed to get a place at Elm Grove and DS seems happy (apart from the days where he's just not happy about school in general - think it'd be the same anywhere!)

Carlton Hill did look lovely too - it was on our list, so thanks for the recommendation.

x

BrightonActually Mon 12-Nov-12 21:35:50

Hurray! Welcome to the 'hood. We've been here a year and absolutely love it. I live just off Elm Grove and love the area, it's a great little community with everything pretty much on the doorstep.

abrilsp72 Thu 22-Nov-12 13:54:49

Hello youfull, glad that things finally worked for you. We moved to the preston park area last July, still getting settled down. Children absolutely love it here!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now