Local Talk

Local Baby Sitting Prices ??

(8 Posts)
notsorockinhippy Fri 23-Nov-12 11:06:13

I'm just wondering what is the going rate for babysitting in Brighton - this is for a sensible older primary school DC - if that makes a difference.

We've not really bothered with baby sitters before, as I'm quite lazy about going out these days & have always managed with sleepovers & the odd favour from MIL & but realise it would be good to have a back up plan as I'm having to pull out of a planned party I was looking forward too as DDs sleepover had to be cancelled by her friends Mum & MIL has announced she cant do it any more, here or at her place - though its only ever been a handful of times anywayhmm & I suspect its because its SILs party & MILs not invited as its a small friends gathering & it would mean SIL taxiing MIL around anyway

We've asked a friend with an older DD in the past & have been quoted what sounded like quite a lot for a teen, so didn't bother as it just wasn't worth it when I wasn't that bothered about going out anyway - I think its too late for this party, but thinking it would be a good idea to have a back up plan for any future dates.

TIA smile

BrightonActually Mon 26-Nov-12 15:00:37

Hiya,
I'm also in this boat too after relying on swapsies with friends for the past few years. I currently pay £8 an hour for my neighbour but also have the back up of a (much cheaper) girl from my kids afterschool club, and she is a more palatable £5 an hour plus a cab home.

notsorockinhippy Mon 26-Nov-12 15:54:14

Thank you BA ( you sound like you might be another Northerner in Brighton Too smile )

That sounds a lot more realistic smile - we were quoted by friend that her then nearly 16yr DD old would charge £8.50 per hour, plus cab home or stay over at an extra charge - that was a few years ago too & put us right off asking anyone again - I wouldn't mind, but she's not really very DC friendly barely interacts with DD or other friends kids at all & wanted DD in bed before she got here too, so we just accepted that babysitting was just too expensive.

I can ask around now I have a better idea of prices - THANK YOU smile

ponked Mon 26-Nov-12 18:10:40

that seems really expensive. We paid £6 for a 16 year old, but also only £6 for a member of staff at DC's nursery

Rhubarbing Mon 26-Nov-12 20:27:35

I pay £8 an hour for a qualified midwife to look after a baby and a toddler. She drives so no need to pay for taxi home.

Bluecrocus Wed 28-Nov-12 14:25:00

Hi,
We use an agency - sitters. They can get babysitters - all qualified and checked etc at really short notice. Same day I think. The rate is just over 6 an hour, but there's a £2 booking fee. There's also a quarterly membership fee, so it might not be worth it if you're only going to use them occasionally. I've heard Tinies (another agency) is good but I know their rates are higher, although there's no membership fee. It might be worth a look.

goldstonemum Tue 18-Dec-12 00:04:11

we pay £5 per hour for our 15 year old neighbour per hour and £8 per hour for our childminder.

we use the neighbour when we are out for a couple of hours, ie after the kids have gone to bed and no later than midnight, but our childminder when we need the kids to be put to bed and are staying out for later.

we don't go out a huge amount even tho it might sound like we do!

ages ago i advertised on gumtree for a babysitter as i wanted someone local we could use and get to know. i had so many reponses - a lot of them from qualified teachers. i advertised i would pay £6 per hour

lucyjohns Sat 19-Jan-13 21:13:34

Hello
I'm a reliable, qualified babysitter and I charge £7 an hour and ask for a fiver towards a taxi home after midnight. I've been babysitting around Brighton for 5 years now and have lots of great references. I'm also a baby massage instructor and have my own kids. Here's my website if you'd like to know a bit more and get in touch. Thanks! www.lucysangels.co.uk

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now