Local Talk

Moving to Brighton /Ditchling Road - pls need advise RE primary schools

(5 Posts)
JennyCoenen Mon 03-Dec-12 21:34:00

Hello dear mums!
We are moving to Brighton in spring 2013, and as I don´t know people there, as we recently moved from Hamburg to the UK, I would be more than greatful if you could recommend me on or tww nice primary schools. I have heard of Downs and Balfour. What do you think of these? Do you also know a very good preschool in this area? There a a few and a hint would be helpful! My son James will turn 4 in January..
I can´t find my area name in the web, so I can´t tell you in which district we are moving. Thank you so much in advance for your feedback! smile Best Jenny

Lavage Tue 04-Dec-12 22:19:33

Both Downs and Balfour are excellent schools, though quite big. My friends prefer Downs of the two - it's a bit friendlier. Hertford is nearby and parents tend to rave about it - it's more mixed in intake and smaller.

Preschools - Growing up Green is supposed to be good. Fiveways has a huge outdoor space and is really popular.

Hope that helps.

JennyCoenen Fri 07-Dec-12 20:40:06

thank you lavage! this helps a lot!! have a nice weekend, best jenny

whipple Mon 10-Dec-12 10:21:58

Both Downs and Balfour are very good schools. Balfour has a 4 class intake (around 120 children per year) and has nice play spaces and a green field (open in clement weather) for the children. Both schools also have heaps of after school activities running (you do have to pay for most) Fiveways is a great area for children - there are 3 parks (2 small - Blakers and Hollingbury and 1 large- Preston park) within walking distance and its only a short bus ride to the seafront and town centre.

abrilsp72 Sat 22-Dec-12 23:34:51

We move last summer to Brighton. Both my children go to Balfour, all I can say the children absolutely love it. My son needs extra help on his learning and he is doing great. My daughter started reception and she is really happy and doing very well. I am a very happy mum.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now