Local Talk

Seriously thinking about a move to Hove area. Advice please!

(14 Posts)
newlifefortrixie Sat 29-Dec-12 10:40:16

Hi there

I recently split up with OH (no chance of reconciliation) so it'll just be me and little ones potentially moving. DDs are 1 & 3.

I'm very keen to move to the area - one of my closest friends lives in Hove (& has been trying to get me to move for a while!) but must admit I'm a little scared..
I've always felt a bit like a fish out of water living in Newbury and in other areas locally, but strangely whenever I've visited B&H, I just feel like I'm coming home (..that might sound odd and I realise this might well be 'holiday syndrome'!!).

The upside is I absolutely love the area, I already have a couple of friends there, so there will be a bit of a support network (and I don't actually have any friends at all locally at the moment, though I have tried confused). Also, I'm in the process of changing jobs, so I wouldn't be leaving a fantastic job behind.

Downsides are that it'll be further for ex OH to travel to see the kids (and for his family, a couple of whom are absolutely lovely), much further from my mum..approx. 2 1/2 hours (she will be heartbroken, however we have a very up and down relationship, just very different personality types really..), more expensive.

I would have jumped at the chance to move there a few years ago, but the responsibility of having LO's & thinking about their happiness makes you so much more cautious doesn't it?! And I'm a bit worried about being lonely..(though I'm incredibly lonely now in a quiet village with no friends and no partner..so much so that I've started talking to myself ALL THE TIME grin

Sorry for the long post, any advice or experiences or any local knowledge about Primary Schools would be very gratefully recieved x

BrightonActually Tue 01-Jan-13 12:06:04

Hi Trixie,
So sorry to hear about your split. I must say, I moved my lot here last year and the kids (and me) have never been happier. It's a great place to raise a family and the fact you already have support here is a real bonus. The best thing about living by the seaside is that you'll never be short of visitors, so I'm sure your family and your ex's family will be more than happy to visit.
I don't live in Hove (hence the name ;-) but I hear the schools are very good and it's a very family orientated area, so I'm sure you'll be absolutely fine.
I have never regretted our move for a second. So very best of luck, you won't regret it. :-))

nightcaps Fri 04-Jan-13 17:58:13

We moved to Hove about a year ago with our two boys (now 4 and 11 months) and really like it. There are loads of kids around and quite a few things to do with them that don't cost anything (library with great storytimes, Hove Museum arts and crafts sessions, seafront, playgrounds etc). There are some good playgroups although you might have to go to a few before you find one that's a good fit.

We had no family support nearby before we moved here so that wasn't so much of a factor, but I think friends are just as valuable, especially if they have kids similar ages to yours and will be around in the day to hang out with.

Don't know too much about the schools but from the reading I've done it seems like there aren't any terrible ones in Hove - have just applied for ours so not sure yet how easy it is to get your first choice. Good luck making the decision, it's hard to decide on a move but it's really lovely here!

Emma012 Sun 06-Jan-13 21:17:28

Hiya,

We're looking at moving to hove too and were hoping for some advice on areas, what is hangleton like? Also a bit concerned hove may be a bit too middle class for us as we're moving from London to try and escape that, is it terribly "yummy mummy" or is it evened out with more down to earth types? Hope that doesn't offend at all but these are the questions it's impossible to answer just by visiting an area!

Thanks

Kcubs1 Sun 06-Jan-13 21:21:18

Sorry also to hear about the split - hope you are ok.

Another one singing high praises of Hove here - have lived here for 2.5 years and there is a fantastic sense of community, great schools, toddler groups and parks etc. I really don't think you would be disappointed smile Good luck!

Kcubs1 Sun 06-Jan-13 21:23:46

Emma - i guess you could say it's a bit middle class just because of the prices etc but not at all in a stuffy "yummy mummy" type way. Everyone i have met is very down to earth. Not sure about hangleton but i live in poets corner, i guess the more affordable part!

newlifefortrixie Mon 07-Jan-13 16:04:21

Thanks very much BrightonActually (love the name!), nightcaps, Emma & Kcubs for all the posts, all the positive information and advice is very gratefully received smile.

I'm still very keen still, the only resistance is from some family members (my mum..just as I thought really!) and exOH, though he has now said he may move too!

And Emma - I was thinking the same thing actually, but couldn't think of a way to phrase it...I would feel a little uncomfortable if it were 'yummy mummyish' (especially being a newly single mum & needing to work on my confidence a little) thanks for the reassurance kcubs smile.

Have been checking out local schools online such as St Andrews and Davigdor which do look brilliant. I really want to make the move..I just need to bite the bullet and do it!

nightcaps Wed 09-Jan-13 15:09:26

i was a bit worried about hove being up itself, but i've found whenever i've gotten into conversation with other people (which btw i'm fairly useless at) in shops/library etc the vast majority of them have been pretty friendly.

also depending on where you're thinking of moving, might be worth looking at west hove connaught road school, it's only been going a couple of years but is an outpost of west hove infants school which is outstanding rated. its outdoor space is pretty teeny but if you're living anywhere near the sea or a park that's not too much of an issue.

newlifefortrixie Fri 11-Jan-13 09:39:01

Thanks nightcaps - great to hear your experience of what's it actually like.

And thanks for the info re: West Hove Connaught Rd School, I've had a look online and it all looks very good! We've got quite a bit of time to settle in before applying which helps smile (eldest will start school in Sept 2014).

All set for the big move in March this year...(very excited now! grin)

newlifefortrixie Fri 11-Jan-13 09:41:09

Forgot to say thanks again to everyone who posted, might see you around! x

nightcaps Sun 13-Jan-13 15:55:31

good luck with the move - and feel free to pm me if you want an extra coffee buddy when you get here smile

goldstonemum Mon 14-Jan-13 21:44:52

we live on hove/hangleton border, moved over from fiveways as we wanted a proper garden etc. love it here, great community, local library etc. great schools (our daughter is at goldstone, massive playing field and outdoor space etc). you can get into town on bus in about 20/25 mins from us. have definitely noticed more young families moving in since we moved to this part of hove 3 years ago. i have heard mixed things about connaught and when we were looking we realised how important it is to actually look at school rather than just go on ofsted etc. good luck!

MeganBD Fri 25-Jan-13 14:25:30

Hove is lovely -
there's a particularly close community feel around the Poet's Corner / Portland Road area.
the beach is also quiter than in central Brighton.
lovely big park is St Anne's Well's Gardens, so living near there could be a bonus

Good luck with the move smile

Applepicker Sun 27-Jan-13 21:55:33

We moved to Hove at the end of last year and haven't regretted it for a second. It's a fantastic place to live and as other posters have said, very friendly. I'm still getting my bearings and working out where everything is, but loving it. DC love the parks and the beach and I can't see us moving from here for a very long time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now