Local Talk

Waterbirths at Royal Sussex County Hospital

(10 Posts)
Poppywink Sun 13-Jan-13 19:04:35

I would like to have a waterbirth at the RSCH in Brighton and was wondering what experiences people have had there? Thanks smile

Kcubs1 Wed 16-Jan-13 13:19:27

I haven't but am hoping to so watching with interest....

drystonewallchart Wed 16-Jan-13 17:49:33

I used the birthing pool during labour with DS2 but got out to deliver him. I hadn't even considered using the pool but my wonderful midwife suggested it and it was really good. It really helped me relax and I'm sure that I had a much easier birthing experience because of it.

Poppywink Fri 18-Jan-13 12:25:51

Thanks for the replies.

Kcubs1 - when are you due?
Drystonewallchart - everything I have heard about waterbirths has been positive. Sounds like you had a lovely birth. I think they only have one pool at the RSCH so was wondering how likely I'd be to get it as it can't be booked in advance. I guess it just depends on the day...Fingers crossed. What was the room like?

Kcubs1 Fri 18-Jan-13 17:24:00

Due in 4 weeks - you?

Midwife said to me that if you request it as soon as you get in you are likely to get it. Fingers crossed anyway .

notsorockinhippy Mon 21-Jan-13 00:54:31

Don't be too disappointed if you don't get it though, I did request it, let them know it was something i felt quite strongly about as i wanted a natural birth, but as DD happened to make her appearance on one of the busiest birthing nights, I had no chance of actually getting it - take along other stuff to help with relaxation & see it as a bonus if you do manage to get a pool, rather than a disappointment if you don't IYSWIM

notsorockinhippy Mon 21-Jan-13 00:56:36

Good luck BTW & to pass on the best tip I was given - when your contractions start - count to 60 - no contraction lasts more than a minute apparently & it really does help 5take your mind off it - worked for me smile

drystonewallchart Mon 21-Jan-13 21:30:00

Er the room ... it was white! To be honest I don't really remember the room all that much but it seemed quite big enough, not sure there was a bed in there, I delivered on the floor, on lots of towels (oh the glamour). It must have been warm as I don't remember being cold at all. It all went by in a bit of a blur although I was in there for a good few hours. The most important thing was it really helped me relax so I didn't need any pain relief or interventions which after DS1 was wonderful.

Good luck with everything.

Poppywink Wed 23-Jan-13 18:53:53

Thanks for the info drystonewallchart. Yeah, in the video of the tour the rooms looked quite small so was just wondering. I'm sure I won't care nearer the time.

Thanks notsorockinhippy - yeah have to be realistic. Will see it as a bonus if I get the pool.

Kcubs1 - I'm 5 months now - thinking about these things in advance, lol. Good luck with it all. Let me know how it goes smile

AnnsWell Sun 03-Feb-13 20:38:55

I had dd in the birthing pool, it was a wonderful experience. No additional pain relief and a happy memory.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now