Local Talk

Hove and Brighton Primary Schools and catchment advice please

(5 Posts)
cmkp Thu 31-Jan-13 21:15:10

We have fallen in love with Hove and would like to move there in the next few months.We have 2 little boys aged 3 yrs and 8 mths so primary schools are a priority. However we are struggling to find any primary schools near to where we would like to live. We really like the roads just North and South of New Church Road because of the big gardens and large 1930s houses, along with the close proximity to the beach and the high street. But the only primary schools that we have found near there are West Hove Infants which by all accounts is great but impossible to get into unless you live within 600m, and Benfield. Does anyone know more about primary schools in this area?
We have heard that the schools in Preston Park/Five Ways are great and have seen how beautiful the houses are, however the gardens all seem to be postage stamp size. Does anyone know if it is possible to get big gardens round there, near the good schools and if so, how much would one of those houses be?
Are there other areas of Brighton and Hove we should consider?
Would be grateful for any help and advice.

Kcubs1 Fri 01-Feb-13 20:58:34

Hi, I live in Hove and DS will be going to West Hove - lovely school but yes very small catchment.

Have you looked at Goldstone? It's also a really nice school (volunteered there for a bit) with a much larger catchment i think. West Hove also opened a new school (connaught annexe) a year or two ago again with a larger catchment.

Not too sure about Brighton though i'm afriad but garden size is generally quite a problem, especially around the top schools.

cmkp Sun 03-Feb-13 20:47:48

Thanks Kcubs. We are actually trying to buy a house within the catchment for the school that we would like our son to go to but unfortunately we are not living in Hove yet so getting to know the schools is a bit tricky!
Lucky you that your son has got in to West Hove! We have a particularly active little boy who really shines outdoors. Do you know what the outdoor space is like at West Hove? Or at any of the other schools for that matter?

lovinthisseasidylife Sun 10-Feb-13 20:26:54

Benfield is in special measures after recent dire Ofsted report. Portslade Infants is popular, it's walking distance from the area you're keen on and is in process of changing to all-through Primary school. If u Catholic, there's St Mary's RC Primary, a sweet nurturing little school, also walking distance. There are some others I'm not so familiar with - I think St Peter's Infants, St Nicolas Junior and Peter Gladwin Primary. I think they're opening a brand new Primary school somewhere nearby soon too but sorry, don't know exactly where. I live in this area and it's fab! Shops, parks, the sea, and the best public transport in the city. Parking is pants though, so def go for ORP when you move here.

Kcubs1 Mon 11-Feb-13 11:43:46

West hove doesn't have any green space but obviously has play grounds etc. I think Goldstone has a playing field and more space but then that's really due to the area it's in.

Good luck with your search!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now