Local Talk

Elm Grove Nurseries

(13 Posts)
brightonbug Tue 19-Mar-13 17:16:11

Hi, I am looking at nurseries in the Elm Grove / Lewes Road area. We will need to put DD in nursery for three days a week from January 2014 when she will be one year old.

I'm looking for both recommendations and places to avoid.

I'm a novice at this, don't know if I need to secure a place now, or wait until closer to the time (when we will have a better idea of DD's personality, & whether she would enjoy a smaller or larger nursery).

We looked at Hilltop nursery at the Brighton General (DP works for the NHS so qualifies for a discounted place). It seemed nice, but does anyone have any views on it?

I also enquired at Tarnerland as I saw this recommended on an older thread, but they said we are out of their catchment area and would be unlikely to get a place.

Thanks

jollster Thu 28-Mar-13 06:15:28

Happy Days in Coleman St is long established and popular - I know of lots of happy children and parents who have used this nursery.

jollster Thu 28-Mar-13 06:16:54

oh and ditto the Phoenix at bottom of Southover - again I know 3 children who have been there and loved it.

brightonbug Thu 04-Apr-13 16:41:15

Thanks Jollster. I think the Phoenix only takes children over two?

I will contact Happy Days and see if I can visit.

Mcnorton Mon 15-Apr-13 13:17:01

Just to add, my son (now 4.5) went to Pepperpot, both the Baby Unit and the 'older kids' bit, and they were great, with lovely staff.

brightonbug Fri 19-Apr-13 15:37:49

thanks mcnorton I am visiting pepperpot next week, it is our closest nursery so would be v convenient

Lavage Wed 24-Apr-13 10:57:58

Happy Days is wonderful - lovely lovely staff and a very relaxed and happy feel. There is also the Orchard Day nursery at the top of Islingword Road.

sajaruss Fri 26-Apr-13 10:33:31

I agree about pepper pot. Both my DD and DS are there at the moment and they always have a great day, and I've always had confidence that the staff will genuinely care for and be interested in them

brightonbug Thu 09-May-13 11:56:28

thanks all. we've visited hilltop, happy days, and pepperpot. really liked hilltop and happy days but weren't so impressed by pepperpot - maybe we caught them on an off day but it seemed a bit disorganised.

Julztiahannah Thu 09-May-13 13:08:03

I think if you put your name In tarnerland and keep asking them all the time you will get a place.thay said the same to me there are full and my dd won't have a place for April this year and they call me just 1 week before she had to start and had a place for her.tarnerland is a lovely beautiful nursery and the staff are great.good luck

brightonbug Thu 09-May-13 20:25:42

thanks julz, I did put her on the waiting list for tarnerland but they said there was not much chance so I definitely need a plan b. t
do you live in their catchment area?

Julztiahannah Sat 11-May-13 09:56:19

Yes I do,but I know someone that live far away and she has a place for September,and I gils in my daughters nursery lives near elm grove and she come to tarnerland .

Lavage Sun 12-May-13 16:51:50

Tarnerland told me that - I did get a call in the end though (turned down the place but put myself back on the list for six months later - and got another call). The same thing happened with Royal Spa.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now