Local Talk

Moving to Hove next year -primary schools-help please!!:-)

(7 Posts)
PBNLondon Sun 24-Mar-13 17:49:06

Hi,
I am moving to Hove next year from London with my family, I will have a 3year old then and 1year old and am desperately seeking any advice on good primary schools in the area. As I will be renting I will be basing my choice on recommended schools and the catchment area.
Any advice would be much appreciated, I am really looking forward to moving and meeting new mums. Am new to this site but it looks great:-)

Thank you!!!

WilliamPoet Wed 03-Apr-13 13:40:25

Hi there. There is a lot of pressure on school places in Hove - meaning you need to live pretty near one of them to ensure getting in, and that some of them are becoming cramped as forced to take in more classes. The Brighton and Hove Council school admissions pages are useful, they show home to school distances and how many people applied for each school.

All the primaries are good however.

Our DD is starting in Sept so no first hand experience yet other than visiting. Our nearest school is St Andrew's, too religious for us but at least now forced to take half the kids from outside the church rather than 20%.

West Hove Connaught we looked round, seemed very nice, small playground and the linked junior will be a mile away, fine if you drive. The main West Hove also seemed very good, catchment for that tiny.

Goldstone was our first choice, large primary, just had a great vibe for us, creative and excellent school on an estate.

Good luck and do get in touch if you'd like to.

PBNLondon Wed 03-Apr-13 14:07:26

Thank you so much for your help, I really appreciate it:-) I think you are right you need to go with your gut and the one you get the best vibe from. Good luck in September!;-) I think I am just going to come down and have a look around them all and see which one we feel is best. Thanks again for your advice will definitely be looking at those schools in particular:-)

gardener321 Sat 22-Jun-13 10:18:16

Hello
I really recommend Deepdene School in Hove (takes children from 6mths all the way to 11yrs). I think the teaching there is excellent and it has a really caring atmosphere My children are very happy and achieving really well academically. Deepene has just had an amazing Ofsted report giving them Outstanding in all aspects! Definitely worth a read!
Hope that's helpful and that your move goes well. X

WilliamPoet Mon 24-Jun-13 20:09:53

Might be worth noting that Deepdene is a private school, someone from outside the area wouldn't necessarily know this.

Smooches Tue 02-Jul-13 10:03:30

Did those that choose Goldstone as their first choice get it? I ask as a friend who lives near Aldrington station didn't get her DS in and she is so disappointed.
X

WilliamPoet Thu 22-May-14 14:41:03

I know this is a zombie thread but I just thought I'd post to say we were offered a place at Goldstone from the waiting list to start in a week. DD has been at West Hove Infants at Connaught and it is excellent however on balance still prefer Goldstone for the space and the Juniors.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now